Special accounting information

Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Special accounting information
# 1  
Old 12-09-2008
Special accounting information

I need to figure out why did the system run out of memory and hung at a certain time. For further investigation, the info about every processes' CPU and memory consumption over time would be of high value.
I see, that Unix accounting may be of some help. But I'm not sure if I can get this particular info from it (memory consumption by certain process at a certain time).

After studying some docs on the acct daemon, and it's usage, it seems that it does not log the kind of information I need.

Is there any way to do that without writing the soft or script myself?
# 2  
Old 12-10-2008
I know accounting a bit from the AIX side where it is used in our case to check which department used how much resources and is billed by that.
If you are going to sort out performance problems, you might want to start with vmstat, top, ps, iostat etc.
Maybe you check the net for nmon for example. There are different tools available.

What OS are you using?
# 3  
Old 12-10-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaxxon
I know accounting a bit from the AIX side where it is used in our case to check which department used how much resources and is billed by that.
If you are going to sort out performance problems, you might want to start with vmstat, top, ps, iostat etc.
Maybe you check the net for nmon for example. There are different tools available.

What OS are you using?
System log analysis showed, that the free memory ended.
I know that the acct daemon provides SOME info, but not the one I need (how much memory the process consumed at a given time)
The OS is Linux (Debian Etch).
# 4  
Old 12-12-2008
It's not that easy to see how much memory they are really using. Have a look at this excellent article to see why:

Virtual Threads: Understanding memory usage on Linux
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX and Linux Applications

Accounting Software

GNUCash - There is documented problem with auto-fill; ie, that it cannot be turned off. It will delete 1/2 of a transaction. I have searched the internet and have not been able to make any of the "work arounds" work. I have also contacted the email lists, to no avail. This is open source,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meow613
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

process accounting

When i run #acctadm command it shows it as inactive but /var/adm/pacct file has todays date such as -rw-r--r-- 1 adm adm 182397160 Mar 25 15:48 pacct # acctadm Task accounting: inactive Task accounting file: none Tracked task resources: none Untracked... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
5 Replies

3. Cybersecurity

System Accounting

How do I enable System Accounting on Solaris 8? In Solaris 7 I would copy the /usr/lib/acct file to S22acct and start it like that. That doesn't seem to be an option in Solaris 8. Thanks for your help! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pc9456
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Accounting Process

Hi, I need to know , if there is some routine like a function "accton" to accounting process for HP-UX, because I need accounting the command executed for users and is necesary that include the argumments of command but the file "paccton" generated for function "accton" doesn't include them. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hvazquez
0 Replies

5. Programming

utmp ACCOUNTING

the utmp.h ACCOUNTING macro is set to 9 on my system. my question is: what "accounting" is it referring to? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thmnetwork
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question