user acct expiration

Operating Systems Solaris user acct expiration
# 1  
Old 07-13-2005
user acct expiration

how can i tell on a solaris 9 if a user acct has an expiration date? and when that expuiration is.
# 2  
Old 07-13-2005
The fifth field of the shadow file will contain number of days before account is locked (or suppose to be locked). Field 3 is the day the last change was made (either password was changed or account was locked). Field six is how many days to warn user of account lock before locking.

See the man page for shadow section 4
man -s 4 shadow
# 3  
Old 07-13-2005
See C2 or enhanced security for perl script to check the date and other info.
# 4  
Old 07-13-2005
it is written in you /etc/shadow. columns are:
username: password:lastchg: min:max:warn: inactive:expire:flag

change it with usermod
for example:
usermod -e 9/12/5 pressy
means that the user pressy account expire on the 12 July 2005

be carefull! in your shadow the expire column is written in unixtime days (days since 1970's)

gP

Last edited by pressy; 07-13-2005 at 07:34 PM..
# 5  
Old 07-13-2005
they want to know when the accounts are going to expire.

and i dont have smc.

is there a script somewhere that will tell me the exp date of an acct?
# 6  
Old 07-13-2005
What's wrong with
passwd -s -a
# 7  
Old 07-15-2005
passwd -s -a gives when the password was changed or the account was locked. Since he is looking for when an account will expire, he needs to 'do the math' for each. Possibly your datecalc can do that for him (I haven't looked at it in some time) with the output of passwd -s -a.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX and Linux Applications

User account expiration notification

Dear Concern, Is there any built in tool/application/command available for Linux user account expiration notification purpose. With Best Regards, Md. Abdullah-Al Kauser (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: makauser
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

How to check password expiration date of particular user?

Hi Guys, I am new to HP-UX and want to find expiration date of particular user please also note i don't have root access on that server. for e.g. i have user abc on my HP box and want to know when its password going to expire and also when its password changed last time. I also try to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yasin Rakhangi
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to run query in loop for all acct nbr in a file..

I have a txt file with contents of acct nbr's like: 22222222222 33333333333 33445566778 I need to write a script which takes each acct nbr in the file and run the query like: select seq_nbr from event where acct_nbr='22222222222' and the query's output should be passed to a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajesh Putnala
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to run query in loop for all acct nbr in a file..

I have a txt file with contents of acct nbr's like: 22222222222 33333333333 33445566778 I need to write a script which takes each acct nbr in the file and run the query like: select seq_nbr from event where acct_nbr='22222222222' and the query's output should be passed to a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajesh Putnala
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in writing a script that do internal grep on a log file..and extract acct no's from it..

I need to write a script, which takes the input a log file and create output file with acct no's line by line from selected records with text like (in red) : 18:51:18 | 217863|Acct 0110855565|RC 17608| 16 Subs| 1596 UsgRecs| 2 Secs| 430 CPUms| prmis2:26213 <MoveUsage d aemon needs to run... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkrish
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to write a shellscript to send a mail alert to the website user based on license expiration time

hi, i am very much new to shell scripting i have a requirement that i have to develop a License Renewal Alert system that has to give a alert mail to the users before 30days of user account expiration, by checking expiration date of the user with the data base, this system will... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepu_Shscripts
0 Replies

7. Solaris

Expiration date of user account

Hi, How to check user account expiration account in user mode for SunOS 5.10? In Linux I can use chage command. I googled for answer for the problem but it was useless. Oskar (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: oskard
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

possible to lock accounts (passwd -l) and still allow acct to ssh to other server?

My scenario is as follows: We have a handful of batch accounts that run our production jobs. Our users are able to use sudo to become that account. Also, because of other reasons, the passwords are also listed in an encrypted file that each team can see their batch ID. So, I have some users... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cpolikowsky
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

new pine user on pop3 acct

I recently started using unix in osx,and loving it! I am now wanting to use pine for email. I installed it using fink and besides it not being the most updated version, it seems to work fine, except that every message I erase seems to come back everytime I log in. It is a pop3 account. I have also... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: larrinski
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help using acct

Hi everybody, I'm Sun Solaris, I have problems on figuring out how i can start acct in unix. I understand how this accounting write in a file in /var/adm/wtmp. And with "acctcom -b " shows end part of all commands that were written in it. And "accton" shuts off this reporting. My question how... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peterh
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question