Include white spaces while using CUT command

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Include white spaces while using CUT command
# 1  
Old 05-27-2010
Include white spaces while using CUT command

Hi
I tried to extract 19 characters (default) enclosed with in tag from a file using cut command. If the characters comprises of double space, the cut command gives the output with a single spacing.

file 1
<name>Kumar Rajasekaran</name>

Code:
cut -c7-26 "file1"

the out put i received is
Code:
Kumar Rajasekaran

Expected output
Code:
Kumar   Rajasekaran

Please guide me.
Thanks

Last edited by Franklin52; 05-27-2010 at 05:24 AM.. Reason: Placing correct code tags
# 2  
Old 05-27-2010
Will this work for you?
Code:
$ echo '<name>Kumar    Rajasekaran</name>' | awk -F "<name>|</name>" '{print $2}'
Kumar    Rajasekaran
$

This will preserve the spaces.
# 3  
Old 05-27-2010
Well, I tried with cut and it reserves the space too.Smilie
And try with sed too..

Code:
echo "<name>Kumar    Rajasekaran</name>" | sed 's/<name>\(.*\)<\/name>/\1/'

# 4  
Old 05-27-2010
Thanks,

Please have a look on my code. Please let me know how to use awk command as mentioned above.

source file input
name>Rajesh vadakar IIT Chennai </name>

Expected output
Rajesh vadakar IIT Chennai

Code:
c_line="/apps/source.txt"
targetfile="result.txt"
var1=0
while read c_line
do
var1=`grep -c "IIT   Chennai" $c_line`
echo $var1 >> $targetfile
if [ $var1 -ge 1 ]
then
val=`cut -c6-37 $c_line`
echo $var >> $targetfile

fi
done<${c_line}

Please update me as earliest.
Thanks

---------- Post updated at 02:28 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:27 PM ----------

my above code is also not working. Please correct my mistake.
# 5  
Old 05-27-2010
replace
Code:
val=`cut -c6-37 $c_line`

with

Code:
val=`echo $$c_line | cut -c6-37 `

cheers,
Devaraj Takhellambam
# 6  
Old 05-27-2010
Hi,

Still its not working. It is considering newspace as blank line. so the above name tag value is spiltted in to differents columns.

pleasre review my code and correct me
# 7  
Old 05-27-2010
Had an extra $ in my code above

Code:
val=`echo $c_line | cut -c6-37 `

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Include information and change column order while maintaing white spaces

I need to change the order of the columns of data that looks like this: The original data is in 6 tab-separated columns. FACTSHEET factsheet NN 1 5 DEP WHAT what WP 2 3 SBJ IS be VBZ 3 1 NMOD AIDS AIDS NP ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: owwow14
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell command to Strip white spaces at specific location

Hello, I have a Comma separated input file with one of the sample records as below: -9223372036854477528,"834","834003325515BXNI00101012013C","5","PLAN_VALUE","PPO, General Cable","C",20130101,99991231,"A","2012-12-25-13.58.14.434000","ZPL2 ","2012-12-25-13.58.14.434000","ZPL2 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Praveenkulkarni
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Leading white spaces

Hi, I am having problem in deleting the leading spaces:- cat x.csv baseball,NULL,8798765,Most played baseball,NULL,8928192,Most played baseball,NULL,5678945,Most played cricket,NOTNULL,125782,Usually played cricket,NOTNULL,678921,Usually played $ nawk 'BEGIN{FS=","}!a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scripter12
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut command skips spaces

Hi everyone I have a file looks like this X01 1 JOE 20100312 X02 TOD 20100312 X03 3 SAM 20100312 I wrote a script to assign the values in 5 columns to 5 variables. When I use cut command to assign column 2 or 3, it skips it if it is a space (see below) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimo
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Use Sed Command to replace white spaces with comma from between two fields - Mayank

SHELL SCRIPT Hi I have a file in the following format Mayank Sushant Dheeraj Kunal ARUN Samir How can i replace the white space in between and replace them with a comma?? The resultant output should be Mayank,Sushant Dheeraj,Kunal ARUN,Samir i tried using sed -e... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mayanksargoch
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing Double Spaces for cut command

Hi I have a shell script that looks for running processes in order to kill them. The script (ksh) gets the PID of these processes using the following: PROCS=`ps -fu ${USERID} | egrep "MONITOR" | grep -v grep | cut -d" " -f4` However, I spotted an issue where PID's of different lengths... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikem22
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Two or more white spaces in string

Hi, Can anybody suggest me how to combine two strings with two or more white spaces and assign it to a variable? E.g. first=HAI second=HELLO third="$first $second" # appending strings with more than one white spaces echo $third this would print HAI HELLO Output appears... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: harish_oty
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

trimming white spaces

I have a variable that calls in a string from txt file. Problem is the string comes with an abundance of white spaces trailing it. Is there any easy way to trim the tailing white spaces off at the end? Thanks in advance. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: briskbaby
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete white spaces

hi all... i have the next question: i have a flat file with a lot of records (lines). Each record has 10 fields, which are separated by pipe (|). My problem is what sometimes, in the first record, there are white spaces (no values, nothing) in the beginning of the record, like this: ws ws... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DebianJ
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

deleting white spaces

How would I delete white spaces in a specified file? Also, I'd like to know what command I would use to take something off a regular expression, and put it onto another. ie. . . . expression1 <take_off> . . . expression2 (put here) . . . Any help would be great, thanks! (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cary530
10 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question