Hi guys!

Consider the following PERL script,

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl

my $userID = `whoami`;
open(TMP, ">user.txt");
print TMP "$userID";
close(TMP);

Run on the command line it works no problem.
Run using crontab it doesn't work.
Where do I go to check errors from crontab?
I've read things about the cron ENVIRONMENT which I don't understand.
Could someone please explain to me what I need to know about crontab before I start using it?

crontab line looks like this:
Code:
8 15 * * * /location/of/my/script/cronprob.pl

Thanking you Smilie
# 2  
Old 08-22-2012
You would have to write a script that loads the environment first then calls your perl script.
The best to avoid interactive shell issues to put in a separate file you call e.g. profile_perl where you have all needed environment variables set, then you execute it in your batch script for cron as:
Code:
. ~path_to script/profile_perl
/usr/bin/perl ~path_to_script/cronprob.pl

# 3  
Old 08-22-2012
Ok i'm getting that I need to set some environment variables but what variables are these?
What do I need to set them to and how do I set them (yes this thread is appropriately titled!)

Thanks for your response vbe
# 4  
Old 08-22-2012
You set any env variable you need except DISPLAY, TERM TTY and other keyboard stuff since there arent any for cron...
I would imagine PATH is very important and for the rest, look in your .profile or its equivalent what is set that could be used by your script
to set (since cron uses ~/bin/sh):
Code:
PATH=/usr/sbin/:/usr/bin:/usr/ccs/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:(etc...)...
export PATH

# 5  
Old 08-22-2012
Supposing all I care about is the /usr/bin directory (assuming that this is the one PERL cares about), can I manually go to this PATH variable and set it = to /usr/bin or are these variables not sitting in a file somewhere like a config file?
# 6  
Old 08-22-2012
/usr/bin is maybe the only thing set in cron with /bin, so if it isnt working then you have more to think about (using libraries? perl can have env settings like java does...)
# 7  
Old 08-22-2012
Is there a way to actually look at these variables and see what they are set to?
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. OS X (Apple)

Noob trying to improve

Hi everyone! This is my first post here, I hope that I will not already be violating any rule! I also would like to apologize in advance as my post will definitely be a noob post... please have patience and faith :rolleyes:! Now that I have set the ground rules :D:D, my objective is trying... (39 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ardzii
39 Replies

2. HP-UX

Anybody wants to help a complete Noob?

Hello there, first post here so go easy on me! :D I just aquired an old HP 9000 Dclass d220 server, all I know is that it's running HP-UX, and it appears to boot fine (I see the modules loading, etc..) Now, I have been an MS guy all my life (yeah I know, make fun of me), so I really have no... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Marvio
9 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

Noob and Guru

A long time ago, my computer crashed, at that time, I was using Windows98, but because I was a noob at computers, my friend recommended me apro to fix it for me.   He came, saw the computer, and asked if I had a backup/installation disk for Windows 98. I said no.   He thought about it for a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vistastar
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I'm a noob at Lynx...

So... I'm using lynx on a Mac... I didn't know that the whole dang thing is in Terminal? I rarely use terminal. I can't even figure out how to start the thing up. I type in lynx into it and press enter... And the cursor just goes down. Nothing happens like the FAQ websites describe. I feel so... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yennster
6 Replies

5. SCO

SCO noob please help

hello, sco openserver R5 the following error and it fails to load. init: Command is respawning too rapidily id: vm "/home/bin/stvm.sh" init: Comand..etc id: c02"/etc/start/autostart" its trying to mount car diagnostic program in vmware, the program location is in "start" i think? i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hgibbs8129
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Noob on Unix.

This may seem really easy to alot of you but i am a real noob on unix. I have been set the task to make a script which will answer a query. Basically I will have made files for people and i want to be able to search for a persons file and then select certain variables from the files. e.g... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobtheb
7 Replies

7. Linux

noob help needed

i'm having trouble putting together a program :( any help would be much appreciated! Write a Shell Program to automate the process of collecting assignments from the directories of students of any specified class. The person running the program should be able to pass a parameter to the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ace_face
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Noob

Hi all, I am trying to write a shell script that will move files from one directory to another, the only thing is I want to to check loads of different source directory and move the files to loads of different directories. I am totally new to shell scripts but not to UNIX (although I would... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sax
16 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

complete noob

Hi all, This is my first post. I am a complete noobie to the UNIX OS, I have an iMac G5 with the unix shell built in and am interested in learning how to use it to do things useful with it, but have no idea where to start. I have read over the basic commands but they haven't helped me much yet.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: avdrummerboy
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I am a unix noob

Hello i am new to this forum. I signed up here really to ask one question. I recentaly got a old unix server from my work and i never really understood what unix is or what is does. Dont get me wrong i and very smart with computers as long as its windows, mac, or linux i can use them all but i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alt+f4
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question