AWK Script Issue insert newline for a regular expression match

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting AWK Script Issue insert newline for a regular expression match
# 1  
Old 11-25-2010
Network AWK Script Issue insert newline for a regular expression match

Hi ,

I am having an issue with the Awk script to insert newline for a regular expression match

Having a file like this

Code:
FILE1
####################
RXOER , RXERA , RXERC , RXERD
.RXEA(RXBSN), RXERD , REXCD
input RXEGT
buffer RXETRY 
#######################

Want to match the RXE Regular expression in the FILE1 and insert a new line after the expression but with some conditions as shown in output

Code:
Output should be like this 
######################
RXOER,
RXERA , 
RXERC , 
RXERD
.RXEA(RXBSN)
RXERD ,
REXCD
input RXEGT
buffer RXETRY 
###########################

I am trying this script like this
awk '{gsub(/RXE/,"RXE\n"}' FILE1

but not getting the output as shown in the output file
Tried to Split it also but could not able to work with Split command of Awk

Please help me out

Thanks
Jaita
# 2  
Old 11-25-2010
Something like this?
Code:
perl -p0e 's/,/,\n/g' file

# 3  
Old 11-25-2010
Network Awk script issue

Can you please help me out with an AWK or Sed script for this problem

Thanks
Jaita
# 4  
Old 11-25-2010
Code:
awk '{gsub(",",",\n")}1' file

This User Gave Thanks to bartus11 For This Post:
# 5  
Old 11-25-2010
Issue with the Regular pattern match

Hi Bartus .

Thanks for the Reply
But I want to match the Regular expression RXE and on the basis of the match it should insert the newline but selective matching should be there on the basis on conditions

Matching the RXE and inserting newline to after matching with the pins having RXE

Thanks
Jaita
# 6  
Old 11-25-2010
But in your sample input you matched "RXO" and "REX" and inserted newline after them as well.
# 7  
Old 11-25-2010
Network awk issue

Thats True

its a sample file from a very big File
I need to match only RXE and wherever it matches RXE , it should insert newline

For example
Reframing the code once again for more clarification

Code is like this

Code:

ROXER , RTOEX , RXERT , RXERY , RXERU
.RAEY(TXBSIM) , .RREU(TXDSIN),  .RXEY(TSTY) , .RXEI(TSTR)
input RXETY
output RXEUI

Output should be like this

Code:

ROXER , RTOEX , 
RXERT , 
RXERY , 
RXERU
.RAEY(TXBSIM) , .RREU(TXDSIN),  
.RXEY(TSTY) ,
.RXEI(TSTR)

input RXETY

output RXEUI

Thanks
Jaita
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a newline after match in files of specific name under some subdirectories?

Hi I'd like to add the newline: \tuser: nobody", or "<TAB>user: nobody to all files named: docker-compose.ymlin subfolders of pwd with names beginning with 10-20. Within these files, I'd like to find the line (there'll only be one) containing: command: celery workerNOTE: As far as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: duncanbetts
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression match

echo 20110101 | awk '{ print match($0,/^((17||18||19||20)|)-*(|0|1)-*(|0||3)$/)) I am getting a match for the above, where as it shouldn't, as there is no hyphen in the echoed date. Another question is what is the difference between || and | in the above statement (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tostay2003
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with awk script (syntax error in regular expression)

I've found this script which seems very promising to solve my issue: To search and replace many different database passwords in many different (.php, .pl, .cgi, etc.) files across my filesystem. The passwords may or may not be contained within quotes, single quotes, etc. #!/bin/bash... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: spacegoose
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

regular expression exact match

hi everyone suppose we have two scenario echo ABCD | grep \{4\} DATE echo SYSDATE | grep \{4\} SYSDATE i want to match the string of four length only please help (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aishsimplesweet
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK script issue for the part regular expression

Hi I am having a file as shown below FILE 1 TXDD00, TXDD01, TXDD02, TXDD03, TXDD04, TXDD05, TXDD06, TXDD07, TXDD08, TXDD09, TXDD10, TXDD11, TXDD12, TXDD13, TXDD14, TXDD15, TXDD16, TXDD17, TXDD18, TXDD19, TXDDCLK, TXDJTAGAMPL0, TXDJTAGAMPL1,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaita
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

regular expression match

I am trying to match a similar line using grep with regular expression the line is /remote/mac/pbbbb/abc/def/hij/hop/include/abc/tif/element/test/testfiles/Office.cpp:57: const OfficeType& getType().get() const; I just need to extract the bold characters using grep with regular expression.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasbala
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

regular expression to match repeated appearance

Hi all, I am looking for a regex syntax to match repeated appearance. Likes, ']+]+' matches for string '65A SOME MORE AND 78B' Now, this gets messy if I need to extract all such repeated appearance. I don't want to write ] four or five times for matching repeated appearance. Thanks in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guruparan18
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression match

Hi all, any idea how to match the following: char*<no or any string or space> buf and char *<no or any string or space> buf i need to capture the buf characters too. currently i need two checks to cover this: #search char* <any string> buf or char *<any string> buf @noarray =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ChaMeN
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regular Expression - match 'b' that follows 'a' and is at the end of a string

Hi, I'm struggling with a regex that would match a 'b' that follows an 'a' and is at the end of a string of non-white characters. For example: Line 1: aba abab b abb aab bab baa I can find the right strings but I'm lacking knowledge of how to "discard" the bits that precede bs.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: machinogodzilla
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Exact match with regular expression

Hi I have a file with data arranged into columns. The first column is the chromosome name. When I use grep to subset only rows with chr1, I get chr1 but also chr10, chr11,.. How do I get only rows with chr1? grep chr1 filein > fileout head fileout chr1 59757841 chr11 108258691 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdhahbi
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question