Concatenation of a large number of files

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Concatenation of a large number of files
# 1  
Old 11-16-2010
Concatenation of a large number of files

Hellow i have a large number of files that i want to concatenate to one. these files start with the word 'VOICE_' for example
VOICE_0000000000
VOICE_1223o23u0
VOICE_934934927349

I use the following code:
Code:
 cat /ODS/prepaid/CDR_FLOW/MEDIATION/VOICE_* >> /ODS/prepaid/CDR_FLOW/WORK/VOICE

And i get an error that files are too long!

How can i overcome this?

Best Regards,
Christos

Last edited by vbe; 11-16-2010 at 10:56 AM.. Reason: code tags please
# 2  
Old 11-16-2010
1) If you get an error message, please post the exact error message.
2) Always state what Operating System and Shell you are using.

One idea (assuming only one depth of directory tree) which avoids expanding "*" in the shell is:

Code:
find /ODS/prepaid/CDR_FLOW/MEDIATION/ -type f -name VOICE_\* -print | while read filename
do
        cat "${filename}" >> /ODS/prepaid/CDR_FLOW/WORK/VOICE
done

Last edited by methyl; 11-16-2010 at 11:19 AM.. Reason: spellin & add -type f
# 3  
Old 11-16-2010
Try:
Code:
for i in /ODS/prepaid/CDR_FLOW/MEDIATION/VOICE_*
do
  cat "$i" >> /ODS/prepaid/CDR_FLOW/WORK/VOICE
done

# 4  
Old 11-16-2010
Smilie--removed--

Last edited by ctsgnb; 11-16-2010 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: Thx to Scruti noticing me i missed post #1...Morning!
# 5  
Old 11-16-2010
@Scrutinizer and ctsngb
When the O/P comes back with the O/S I predict that it will be AIX or something which cannot deal with long command lines after expansion of "*" in Shell.

Apologies to ctsgnb because our posts crossed.

Last edited by methyl; 11-16-2010 at 11:47 AM.. Reason: Apoligies.
# 6  
Old 11-16-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by methyl
@Scrutinizer and ctsngb
When the O/P comes back with the O/S I predict that it will be AIX or something which cannot deal with long command lines after expansion of "*" in Shell.

Apologies to ctsgnb because our posts crossed.
No prob dude ! Smilie

Solaris also has limitation to wildcard expansion :
Code:
$ uname -a
SunOS <anonymized> 5.9 Generic_122300-54 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-15000
$ ls | wc -l
$ ls -l *
bash: /usr/bin/ls: Arg list too long
$

# 7  
Old 11-16-2010
@ctsgnb & off topic
It would not be beyond the Shell compilers to flag "*" in certain constructs as a Syntax Error. If I had my way an "*" would be a Syntax Error in a "for" command. Just my personal view about open-ended lists. Others may differ.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing large number of temp files

Hi All, I am having a situation now to delete a huge number of temp files created during run times approx. 16700+ files. We have never imagined that we will get this this much big list of files during run time. It worked fine for lesser no of files in the list. But when list is huge we are... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mad man
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sftp large number of files

Want to sftp large number of files ... approx 150 files will come to server every minute. (AIX box) Also need make sure file has been sftped successfully... Please let me know : 1. What is the best / faster way to transfer files? 2. should I use batch option -b so that connectivity will be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vegasluxor
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rename a large number of files in subdirectories

Hi, I have a large number of subdirectories (>200), and in each of these directories there is a file with a name like "opp1234.dat". I'd like to know how I could change the names of these files to say "out.dat" in all these subdirectories in one go. Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost.identity
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using find in a directory containing large number of files

Hi All, I have searched this forum for related posts but could not find one that fits mine. I have a shell script which removes all the XML tags including the text inside the tags from some 4 million XML files. The shell script looks like this (MODIFIED): find . "*.xml" -print | while read... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete large number of files

Hi. I need to delete a large number of files listed in a txt file. There are over 90000 files in the list. Some of the directory names and some of the file names do have spaces in them. In the file, each line is a full path to a file: /path/to/the files/file1 /path/to/some other/files/file 2... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: inakajin
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

questing regarding tar large number of files

I want to tar large number of files about 150k. i am using the find command as below to create a file with all file names. & then trying to use the tar -I command as below. # find . -type f -name "gpi*" > include-file # tar -I include-file -cvf newfile.tar This i got from one of the posts... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: crux123
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help combining large number of text files

Hi, i have more than 1000 data files(.txt) like this first file format: 178.83 554.545 179.21 80.392 second file: 178.83 990.909 179.21 90.196 etc. I want to combine them to the following format: 178.83,554.545,990.909,... 179.21,80.392,90.196,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_monocyte
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating large number of files of specific size

Hi I am new to shell scripting.I want to create a batch file which creates a desired number of files with a specific size say 1MB each to consume space.How can i go about it using for loop /any other loop condition using shell script? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: swatideswal
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Compare a large number of files.

I have a large Filesystem on an AIX server and another one on a Red Hat box. I have syncd the two filesystems using rsysnc. What Im looking for is a script that would compare to the two filesystems to make sure the bits match up and the number of files match up. its around 2.8 million... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zippdawg2001
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

moving large number of files

I have a task to move more than 35000 files every two hours, from the same directory to another directory based on a file that has the list of filenames I tried the following logics (1) find . -name \*.dat > list for i in `cat list` do mv $i test/ done (2) cat list|xargs -i mv "{}"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bryan
7 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question