Who is the current user

Top Forums Programming Who is the current user
# 1  
Old 10-28-2003
Who is the current user

How could I get the username and password of user, who started this programm?
# 2  
Old 10-28-2003
The user name will be in the environment and you can get it with getenv(). The environment variable will be called either USER or LOGNAME. (Posix requires LOGNAME) Whichever variable your system uses, it is set by the login program. And a decent cron will also set it for cron and "at" jobs. It won't get set if the user invokes your program via a remote service that did not properly log him in. But a clever user can set the env variable himself in that case. Which bring up a problem....a user could also clobber the variable, intentionally or otherwise.

Another approach is the inspect fd's 0, 1, and 2. They may be connected to the user's tty. isatty() can tell you if they are tty's or not. And ttyname() can provide the name of the tty. Once you have that, you can search the utmp file via getutmp() to get the user name as recorded by the login (or similiar) program. Again, not all remote services will set a utmp entry. And this will fail for cron or "at" jobs. This is how "who am i" works. And it is why
who am i < /dev/null 2 > /dev/null | cat
fails.

Another approach is to get the uid of the process with getuid() and then scan the passwd file via getpwnam(). This is how the program whoami works. But if user A signs on and su's to user B and then runs your program, you get user B.

As for the password, you can't get that. And I wonder why you want it.
# 3  
Old 11-05-2003
No, this
getenv("USER");
getenv("LOGNAME");
return NULL. It does not work ...
(I use LinuxRH7.2)
# 4  
Old 11-05-2003
Sign on to your system and type the command "env". I believe that you will find both variables set. At least I see them both on redhat.

And type "man environ". I see them as the first two ducumented environment settings. What do you see?

Maybe your login scripts unset both environment variables?

But looking at this thread and your other thread involving mtime, the more probable answer is that you are having some difficulties with programs that you write.
# 5  
Old 11-10-2003
I don't think one can get password of a logged user but there are many a ways by which one can know the user who has logged in.

Perderabo has already defined multiple ways and all that I want to add is standard C library routine to find a username / terminal associated with the current process:

#include <stdio.h>

char *cuserid(char *s);
char *ctermid(char *s);

See man pages for more details.
# 6  
Old 11-14-2003
how about
getuid() function

And really you cannot get the password of the user logged in, however you can get it in the way it is stored, but it wont make much sense. you can use the getpwnam() function
# 7  
Old 11-15-2003
Read paragraph 3 of my first post for comments on getuid(). Hmmm, I see that I said to use getpwnam(). Actually, since we have the uid, we should use getpwuid().

ctermid() is a silly little function that always returns the string "/dev/tty". I will never understand why people write functions to return a constant.

cuserid() was dropped from posix in 1990. It is still available on many systems, but I recommend that it not be used for new code. It first tries the technique I mentioned in the second paragraph of my first post. If that fails, it then uses the getuid() technique that I mentioned in my third paragraph. No information is available to the caller about which technique worked. And it never tries the technique mentioned in my first paragraph which posix seems to promote as the preferred method.

Also there is getlogin() which automates looking up the controlling terminal in utmp.

I have the uneasy feeling that there are more functions that automate some conbination of the 3 techniques that I mentioned. It's dangerous to be sure of a negative, but I'm rather sure that there isn't a 4th technique lurking around.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

List Process running under current user

Hi, i need to list the processes running only under current logged in user. EX: $ whoami oraaqw $ ps -ef | grep tnslsnr oraaqw 11403300 19267592 0 09:14:47 pts/3 0:00 grep tnslsnr oraaqw 15794208 1 0 Jan 14 - 11:59... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aravindadla
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to access current user's mailbox.

In any non-root account, whenever I enter mail, it gives me: /var/spool/mail/root: Permission deniedI am not logged in as root, why is mail accessing root's mailbox ? I am unable to enter the currently logged in user's mailbox. Any help is appreciated :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hijanoqu
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ps - list where UID is numeric or name and for current user

Hi, 'ps -ef' returns output of the following format UID PID PPID C STIME TTY TIME CMD root 17573 1 0 Sep12 tty6 00:00:00 /sbin/mingetty tty6 hpsmh 18150 14864 0 Sep12 ? 00:00:00 /opt/hp/hpsmh/sbin/hpsmhd -DSSL -f /opt/hp/hpsmh/conf/smhpd.conf root ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ysrini
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Login as another user through Shell script from current user[Not Root]

Hi Every body, I would need a shell script program to login as different user and perform some copy commands in the script. example: Supppose ora_toms is the active user ora_toms should be able to run a script where user: ftptomsp pass: XXX should login through and run the commands ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ujjwal27
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

current logged in user

Hey guys I need a script that reads a login name and verifies if that user is currently logged in i have found few commands like "who" and "users" but i wonder how can i verify it that login name is logged in or not? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nishrestha
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get current logged in user from a script run as root.

Ok, so, in order to install some dependencies of a program I made, a script has to be run as root. The thing is that I have to copy some things into the home folder of currently logged in user, but the variable $HOME returns '/root' and the $USER returns 'root' :( Is there any way to see who is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep current user

I'm trying to write a grep command that will be good for the current user of the command but it doesn't work on my server with bash shell. On the server with tcsh I used: last | grep "$user" and the current user could see how many times they logged on this month. On the other server it doesn't... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: steveu
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Displaying current user process

When I typed in ps -a I get this: PID TTY TIME CMD 31799 pts/3 00:00:00 vim 31866 pts/3 00:00:00 vim And to check who is currently logged in, I type who Felix Whoals Tada Whoals Lala Whoals How can I get the user process for all current users who logged in?? I think I need to combine... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: felixwhoals
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

To look for occurrences of the current user

I have crated a file xx wth env redirected into it 5 times n couldnot proceed further n next we have to create a script that takes 1 argument being a file, in this instance we use the newly created file above xx(xx file contains the env redirected into it 5 times) read the inputted file, in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bobby36
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find password for current user in unix box

hi all, kindly let me know the command to get password and user for current user in unix. thanks in advance. --Bali Reddy.Y (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: balireddy_77
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question