Old hand to FreeBSD, brand new to KDE ??'s

Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers Old hand to FreeBSD, brand new to KDE ??'s
# 1  
Old 02-08-2010
Old hand to FreeBSD, brand new to KDE ??'s

I have now used FreeBSD from eh, 5.0??? But during that whole time I have never used xwindows or kde. My box's have always been servers of one type or another.

I just set up a new BSD machine(8.0), and because I wanted to install boinc I knew that I would have to also install xwindows. Just the requirements of boinc at the moment. Well, if I have to go to this much trouble I might as well have some fun and play with desktops. xorg and kde 3.5 were installed from packages(god, that is so much faster then port compiles).

Cut to the chase, a few questions.
1). Can I install further apps from the port tree using a kde windows application? Or do I still need to do these installs from the command line?
2). If I install various xwindows applications(boinc), will they automatically be reconized by kde? id: I installed firefox3, kde seen it. I was able to place it on my desktop. I'm also probably going to start looking for samba and mysql graphic managers also.
3). Thee are 4 desk tops? hu? umm, hu?

Now, I have some more questions... But they become more specific to the area the questions are in. Not for drool is just dumb as dirt for not understanding kde. linux libraries and wirelss. But I will place those questions in more specific question areas.
# 2  
Old 04-09-2010
It sounds like you have installed the whole machine by yourself instead of picking a ready made distribution (PC-BSD would come to mind). I thought KDE did not offer package management for FreeBSD as a standard, which means you need to go into a terminal window to install the packages by hand.
In my experience the newly installed apps are recognised and displayed in the menu bar. Not always though, maybe 10% of the time you would have add them manually.
Your third question is somewhat vague. Do you mean 4 workspaces or 4 themes?
# 3  
Old 04-09-2010
Ok, it's been a bit sense I posted that question and I have become a bit more comfortable with the kde. Wish this machine had some more guts under the hood, only a p4 but with 2 gig of mem.

kde 3.5, I have the ability to configure more then one desktop and can actually ctrl/tab my way through them. It's kind of cool, but I don't really use it. yet.

With regard to my original question, I have done everything through the command line with regard to the ports/packages.

Thank you for the followup. I'm still punting my way through this setup... But, I like it for the most part.
# 4  
Old 04-10-2010
KDE would be the most feature rich of all the desktops and therefore requiring more RAM than most to make it snappy. I encourage you to try some of the other desktop environments as well and start to notice the differences and that they borrow from each other.
# 5  
Old 04-30-2010
KDE is also infamous for pretending it's a management system for your whole computer instead of being a mere windowing environment. Last I saw it still had broken stubs in the control panel for configuring your linux 2.4 kernel for you.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Just want to ask if there is a shorter hand to doing this one liner

Hi all, In Oracle, I am using SQL*Plus and selecting all rows in a table and spooling to a file as pipe delimited. I have to use pagesize 0 but unfortunately, using this option excludes the header and I can't get around having it to display the header fields. So to get around this, I have to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge left hand strings mapping to different right hand strings

Hello, I am working on an Urdu to Hindi dictionary which has the following structure: a=b a=c n=d n=q and so on. i.e. Headword separated from gloss by a = I am giving below a live sample بتا=बता بتا=बित्ता بتا=बुत्ता بتان=बतान بتان=बितान بتانا=बिताना I need the following... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
3 Replies

3. Programming

Application crashes in FreeBSD 7.1 while working ok in FreeBSD 6.3

Hello there, My mulithreaded application (which is too large to represent the source code here) is crashing after installing FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE/amd64. It worked properly on others machines (Dual Cores with 4GB of RAM - FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE/i386). The current machine has 2x Core 2 Duo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Seenquev
1 Replies

4. Debian

change initramfs by hand?

What's the correct way to change the initramfs file that's used during boot? I know that it's a gzipped cpio archive, but when I gunzip, extract, re-archive (without changing any files), and gzip, then the result is that the system does not boot any more. And I even set the cpio archive type. ... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: frankie06
18 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a hand. Please?

i have a script in sh. with awk, e.g. want to list all the contents of a subdirectory an a tabular way. ej: outoput directory1 subdirectory1 subdirectory2 subdirectory3 file1 filen file2 filez file2 ... filen+1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alexcol
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the most left hand string ??

Hi, I remember once seeing a way to get the left most string in a word. Let's say: a="First.Second.Third" (separated by dot) echo ${a#*.} shows --> Second.Third echo ${a##*.} shows --> Third How do I get the the left most string "First" Or "First.Second" ??? Tried to replace #... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jfortes
2 Replies

7. BSD

FreeBSD / KDE installation woes...

Forgive the newbie question. I've been trying to install FreeBSD 5.4 on a new AMD64 based box at work today, and I started running into problems. Maybe some background is appropriate? Here goes... I've finished the first stage of development of a model in C++ which simulates airflow through a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ForestryJim
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Give us a hand

How do you get an awk output into columns i.e. awk (print $1,$2,$3) doesn't come out into nice columns but lots of lines of txt want something more like. I am crap at unix so give me a hand thx Rich (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RichardB
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FreeBSD 4.4 Uninstalling KDE or GNOME

Hey all :) I finally got around to installing FreeBSD 4.4, which considering it's my first attempt with *nix, didn't go too badly. I've managed to configure X and everything else, but I've got a bit of a problem, lol. I installed KDE and GNOME. I had a rough idea as to what they were, but I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hellz
5 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question