Migrating to UNIX

Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Migrating to UNIX
# 1  
Old 06-18-2016
Migrating to UNIX

I am looking for a stable, reliable system to replace my current Windows systems in the home. These are simple systems that I purchased from the local Big Box store.

I have heard many good things about Unix and it's various children and it sounds like a good option to me. I have worked both in hardware and
software in my time and I have a few questions about migrating to Unix. We don't do much except browse the Internet and exchange emails with friends.

Will my current hardware work with Unix or must I purchase a new driver, does Unix offer a GUI user interface? My wife is not a computer person and I don't want to load her down with lots of things to learn.

Where can I get spreadsheet, database and word editor applications for Unix?
# 2  
Old 06-18-2016
Hi donschurter,

welcome to this forum; have fun!

You don't mention the hardware you're running at home; I guess that you're talking of a plain "compatible PC" with x86 (or equivalent) architecture? There are unices out in them there hills that run on such PCs, e.g. FreeBSD and friends, and they are free to download.

Me personally, at home, I'm running a windows-free environment for roughly a decade now, and I don't regret anything nor am I looking for a way back. I tried several linuces like SuSe, Ubuntu, and Lubuntu, and was quite satisfied with either. They all are very powerful in hardware recognition and provide drivers for nearly everything, except for very rare and remote cases.

Coming from windows, you have to get used to the new environment, but then you won't miss anything. There's a cornucopia of web browsers, e-mail-clients, and office suites, and several GUIs like Gnome, KDE, or Enlightenment. Plus a wealth of other applications, programs, packages.

Only drawback is the compatibility when exchanging documents with the "other" world. People over there are lazy and don't think when saving or loading data, and so don't use a commonly known format in lieu of the default proprietary one. But this gap is becoming smaller with time.

Try and have fun! You may want to start with a live CD to get a feeling without changing anything on your actual PC setup.
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:
# 3  
Old 06-18-2016
Welcome to the forum.

Everything that RudiC said plus..............

You owe it to yourself to check out a few distros as there are some variations well worth exploring. Many (even most) Unix/Linux now have GUI's. A well recommended one is Ubuntu which comes with a full GUI to which you can install email and office suites (all free).

One Lunix project team have specifically addressed the issues of having to retrain Windows users onto a Linux platform by creating a distro that looks, feels and behaves like Windows. The project is called "Zorin" so check that out on the internet.

Hope that helps.
This User Gave Thanks to hicksd8 For This Post:
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Migrating jobs from COBOL Mainframe system to UNIX system

In a nutshell requirement is to migrate the system from mainframe environment to UNIX environment (MF cobol would be used I guess). I have not much of idea in this field. I need to do some investigation on following points - - Ease of conversion - Known Data compatibility issue - Issue in... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tjsureboy4me
9 Replies

2. AIX

Migrating from HP Unix to IBM AIX 6.1

HI , We are in process to migrate from UNIX to AIX 6.1 version . I need to understand differences between commands that are used in UNIX and AIX. I want to make sure AIX has all command options avaliable from HP Unix.If any mismatch it should be addressed . Since many commands are used it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perlbaby
2 Replies

3. AIX

Migrating RHEL 5 UNIX users to AIX

Hi, I'm able to migrate UNIX users/groups from Solaris to AIX (with same password using 13-char encrypted password from shadow file) but no luck with RHEL 5 to AIX. I see encrypted password in RHEL 5 is bit lengthier than 13-char. Is there any way to convert encrypted password such that same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: reddyr
1 Replies

4. Ubuntu

Migrating from Unix to Linux

Is there a way to migrate username password from Freebsd 6.1 to Linux Ubuntu 8.04. I am using the server as a email server running postfix and using imap. Is there a way to transfer the usernames and password. I have transferred all the Maildirs but I am getting uid errors and gid errors even after... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbizzell
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

migrating unix mp-ras 32 bit to linux suse 64 bit

Hi. I need to migrate the whole unix environment from a Unix mp-ras 32 bit to a Linux Suse 64 bit. 1) can i use cpio to copy the data? 2) can i just copy the users from unix to linux or do i have to create them by hand 3) are there any other concerns i should worry about? thanx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrodrig
1 Replies

6. IP Networking

Migrating existing Subnet to a new subnet and changing ip addresses in UNIX

Hi, My project needs to migrate the existing Subnet (255.255.255.0) to a new subnet and change the ipaddresses (currently C class). How can I do that. I need some information. John (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnmarsh
0 Replies

7. Programming

Migrating C Executable in UNIX from DEV to PROD

Hi Is there any specific way to FTP a C executable from DEV to PROD. We recently changed a C program compiled in DEV, created EXE and tested fine. But when we moved the EXE to PROD. It did not work. We have tried restarting the sever too. Once we put back the old Exe it starts to work again. The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rainbow29
1 Replies

8. HP-UX

When migrating from HP-UX 11.0 to HP-UX 11.i

Hi to all, I am migrating HP-UX 11.0 to HP-UX 11.i, The following list are the components which i used in HP-UX 11.0, Whether I can use this same components in HP-UX 11.i or I should upgrade any of software version with respect to HP-UX 11.i. Oracle 8.1.7 Tuxedo 8.0 BEA Message queue... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sweta
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Migrating fom windows to UNIX/Linux

Does anyone have any links where i can find informaton about migrating from windows to unix/linux? Itīs both servers and clients that is on discussion. /Henke (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: henke
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Migrating from NT to UNIX

I'm looking for a sample plan for migrating my OS from NT to UNIX that I can build a project plan on. Does anyone know of a resource? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: llehew
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question