NIS no longer

Operating Systems HP-UX NIS no longer
# 1  
Old 10-22-2005
Error NIS no longer

I recentely aquired an old B1000 workstation running HP-UX 11(I think) that was a member of a NIS domain. As such it now fails to find it's domain, that lab has been dismantled, this is however not a huge problem by it's self but what is a problem is that all of the libs and bins were stored in a central location which I don't have access to. I this point I can only boot into single user mode and use the binarys in /sbin as this and /etc were the only directories stored locally. Is there any place I can get the files needed to run a text editor so I can edit config files and get this system back in order. I have asked arround here at the university and no one seems to be able to help and I'd rather keep HP-UX on this box rather than installing Debian or some other flavor of Linux.

::EDIT::
This is not for personal use, it is for the lab I currently work in. The system is still owned by the university so I'm not asking to do anything illegal, I just don't want to pay $600+ for media to reinstall.
::/EDIT::

Thanks in advance.

-T

Last edited by twpvw5; 10-22-2005 at 06:29 PM..
# 2  
Old 10-22-2005
Go to single user mode and try:
mount /usr
mount /var
mount /tmp
and see what happens. Once they are mounted you should be able to run vi.
# 3  
Old 10-23-2005
Ok, so I can get everything mounted but what exactly do I need to change to stop the system from trying to contact this non-existant domain?

This is what I'm getting when I try to boot the system normally...

Code:
   Start NIS+ server subsystem ......................................... OK
     Start NIS+ client subsystem ......................................... OK
     Start NIS server subsystem .......................................... OK
     Start NIS client subsystem .......................................... 06.07 17:06:54  hp10.ecn  pid=503    /usr/lib/netsvc/yp/ypbind
     ypbind will not use the servers list available in the file /var/yp/binding/<domain_name>/ypservers for binding purpose. 
Also if ypbind is invoked with -broadcast option, then -broadcast option is ignored.
06.07 17:06:54  hp10.ecn  pid=504    /usr/lib/netsvc/yp/ypbind
     ypbind -ypset: allowing ypset! (this is insecure)
06.07 17:09:39  hp10.ecn  pid=506    /usr/lib/netsvc/yp/ypbind
     NIS: server not responding for domain "hplab"; still trying

Sorry if these are stupid questions but I'm new to HP-UX and want to learn but at this point this box is worse than useless as a learning tool.

Thanks

-T
# 4  
Old 10-23-2005
Here is something to try. Go back to single user mode and mount everything. Then run:
/etc/set_parms initial

This is the interactive script that is run immediately after an os install. It will ask you for all of the networking parameters. Hostname, ip address, netmask, default gateway, dns nameserver addresses, default domain. It will set up all of the network stuff for you. This should fix all of your network problems in one fell swope.
# 5  
Old 10-24-2005
Well that gets me part way there. I was able to set host name, IP address etc but that script only allows changing parameters for NIS not removing the system as a client. I think this wouldn't be so dificult if I wasn't having to use the serial port and terminal emulation, I don't have a usb keyboard yet. Any way any other suggestions are welcome but I'm going to keep wading through these config files untill I find the right one.

Thanks

-T
# 6  
Old 10-24-2005
I rather expected that to work, but I have never used NIS. If the standard HP startup scripts are in use, the file to edit is
/etc/rc.config.d/namesvrs
This file controls both NIS and NIS+. Don't let the name of the file mislead you. Not used by DNS. Look for both of these lines:
NISPLUS_CLIENT=
NIS_CLIENT=

Make sure that both are set to zero. That should do it. There should be no need to change anything else.
# 7  
Old 11-14-2005
Check resolv.conf and nsswitch as well... make sure they are pointed at DNS.

Aaron
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Validating that the NIS and NIS+ services are disabled

I'm creating a scrip for auditing our AIX box's to ensure that they are built according to our system standards. I'm not sure on the logic for checking to see if the NIS and NIS+ services are disabled. any idea's? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sport
2 Replies

2. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

My account no longer works

Hello. This is me: https://www.unix.com/unix-dummies-questions-answers/57594-possible-give-sudo-access-subdirectories.html#post302176910 LordJezo Been posting for years. Now my account wont work and every attempt to reset my password is not working. My email address should be :... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: (Lord Jezo)
0 Replies

3. Solaris

How to configure a NIS client bound to the NIS server in another subnet?

Hi, all. I have a Solaris client here needs to bind to NIS server in another subnet. Following is the configuration i made on the client, 1) edit /etc/inet/hosts to add an entry of the NIS server -- nserver01 2) execute `domainname` to set local NIS domain to the domain of the NIS server.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sn_wukong
1 Replies

4. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Can no longer login.

I registered last week, received the emails and activated my account. It worked splendidly. Today, I logged in, performed a search, then was prompted to login each time I moved to the next page in the search results. I requested and received a new password but UNIX.com thanks me for logging... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thebigm
0 Replies

5. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

my account is no longer working

my account mhm4 is no longer working (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mhm4
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SUSE 9 and 10 NIS clients with RedHat 8.0 NIS server not working

We have a RedHat 8.0 NIS master, with a RedHat 8.0 NIS Slave. We also have a small number of SUSE 9.1 and SUSE 10 machines here for evaluation. However, no matter what i do, the SUSE machines will not talk to the NIS Servers. If i broadcast for NIS Servers for the specified NIS domain, it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fishsponge
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

NIS map mail.aliases specified, but NIS not running

Hi all, I just took over the admin role from someone and I wanna setup sendmail (just to send mail from the host) however, after I config all the resolv.conf, nssitch.conf, hosts file and when I try to send a mail out, after I punched ctl-D, it returned he following, "NIS map mail.aliases... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stancwong
2 Replies

8. IP Networking

differences nis nis+

Hello together. Is there someone who is able to explain me the differences between NIS and NIS+. thanks in advance joerg (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joerg
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Solaris NIS+ and RedHat NIS+

Hello all, I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I would like to know if Redhat running NIS ( not NIS +) would have conflict with Solaris running NIS+. Currently I am running NIS+ on Solaris but will be adding RedHat to the network. I seem to be unable to find and information regarding... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: larry
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question