Moving to new AIX server

Operating Systems AIX Moving to new AIX server
# 1  
Old 12-13-2007
Moving to new AIX server

Hello everybody,

I am going to move to new AIX server and the question is how to correctly and painless move the whole configuration? I mean for example users, network, and - what is very important - the whole printer system configuration? I think users are simple to move - only /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow. The problem can be with moving the printers' configuration - there are many definied printers in old system. What files should I take into consideration while moving the printers' configuration?

Thank you in advance,
Yac.
# 2  
Old 12-13-2007
If the old and the new machine have a tape drive: use the tapedrive to create a mksysb tape on the old machine (man mksysb) and use this tape to install the new machine.

Basically a mksysb-image is a "savevg rootvg" along with a bootloader to boot and install from it.

If you do not have a tape drive, but you have another AIX machine, do the following:

make sure this other AIX machine is higher or at least equal in terms of OS release/fix level. (how to check this: man oslevel, man instfix)

- Install on this machine the NIM-server package and configure the machine as NIM server.
- Define the old machine as client to this NIM server, test connection
- on the NIM server, create a NIM-resource of type mksysb (this in fact creates an mksysb which will be bootable too in a file on the NIM-server)
- define the new machine as another NIM client
- allocate the mksysb resource for this machine and start installing via network

In case you want to go with the NIM solution be sure to read the IBM documents about NIM, which is quite a powerful and complex system. Besides the man page there is a good description in the info system and there are some redbooks. You might want to read this post to get some head start about NIM.

In case you have already a NIM server somewhere in your environment you could use this of course.

Beware: It is possible to create an mksysb in a plain file too, instead of a tape or via NIM. This file will NOT be bootable, though and you therefore won't be able to restore the machine from scratch using only this file.

bakunin
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

Moving boot SSD from a dead server to a new server

Hi all, We have a disk array that has the boot drive on an OCZ SSD on a PCIe card. Well, the motherboard died and we got a new motherboard. We moved the controllers, NICs, etc, to the exact same slots on the new motherboard, except now it won't boot. I guess it doesn't recognize the OS on the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: glowe57
1 Replies

2. Programming

Problem with Perl script after moving from a Windows/Apache Server to a UNIX server.

I have a Perl script that worked fine before moving it to justhost.com. It was on a Windows/Apache server. Just host is using UNIX. Other Perl scripts on other sites that were also moved work fine so I know Perl is functioning. The script is called cwrmail.pl and is located in my cgi-bin. When I... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: BigBobbyB
9 Replies

3. Solaris

Key Points when Moving from Server A to Server B??

Hi Everyone, I'm still learning daily about UNIX (specifically Solaris 10). I'm tasked with moving my current application and database from Datacenter A to Datacenter B. There will be no updates and no changes other than a new server and new location. So far, I have Solaris... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smckech1972
3 Replies

4. Linux

Moving Whole OS Centos Server

I currently have a web server its on a small harddrive I didn't know my site would grow so fast but now I need a bigger hard drive. Instead of adding another harddrive (host charge monthly of how many hard drives connected to server) is there anyway to just move the whole os to a bigger hard drive... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: awww
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving files from one server to another server every 5 min

HI All, I am trying to automate my stuff to make 'to-do-easier'. I am new to shell scripting. I need help to you regarding the below problem. I have one directory in my server, frequently files will store in that directory. I want to move that files into another server on every 5... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravvamohan
5 Replies

6. AIX

Transferring files from one AIX server to another AIX server in binary mode

Hi, I am a newbie to AIX. We have 2 AIX5.3 servers in our environment, I need to transfer some files in Binary mode from one server to another and some files in ASCII mode from one server to another server. Could you please help me as to how I need to do that? Thanks, Rakesh (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshc.apps
4 Replies

7. AIX

moving to new server

I'm moving an application from an old RS6000 running 4.3.2 to a p5 running 5.3. Could someone point me a the direction on docs to perform such a function? Critical OS files, moving of printers and print queues especially. thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sullivjp
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

moving files from one server to another

Hi guys, I have few files on my laptop(win XP). I am connected to a network called 'asx'(intranet). I have ssh2 and reflections on my system. I need to copy these few files from my system to a folder on the UNIX server(called 'CSSX'). Please can anyone explain me how to acheive this? I am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: uniksbro
1 Replies

9. AIX

moving AIX ver 4.2.1 to another AIX box

i want to move my AIX os ver 4.2.1 to a new version IBM system. how can i acheive this. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gmonix
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

moving over to Solaris from AIX

Will moving over to Solaris from IBM AIX make a difference to the shell scripts currently working on the AIX flavour? I've been programming in the KSH - is that available in Solaris? Sorry for being basic, but couldn't find the answer on google. Thanks in advnace (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: penfold
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question