Moving and renaming files

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Moving and renaming files
# 1  
Old 05-02-2014
Moving and renaming files

I have a directory full of directories, say called A B C D E ....
In each of these directories there are files called 1.dsp 2.dsp 3.dsp ..... along with others (with different extensions)
I need to go through each of these directories and move the dsp file to another folder, but with the name now A_1.dsp A_2.dsp ... B_1.dsp .... so I need to add the directory name to the start of the file name as it copies.

Can anyone explain to me how to do this?

Thanks in advance Smilie
# 2  
Old 05-02-2014
Where does the A_1 A_2 B_1 B_2 come from?
# 3  
Old 05-02-2014
So the name of the file changes from 1.dsp to (directory name)_1.dsp so if we're in directory A, the name of the file becomes A_1.dsp
# 4  
Old 05-02-2014
try
Code:
for file in $(ls -ltr * | grep ".dsp" | awk '{print $9}');
do
var=`find . -name $file`
dir_var=`echo $var | cut -d'/' -f2`
mv $var dest_dir/$dir_var"_"$file
done

I am assuming you running the above script from directory in which A B C D E... dirs present
# 5  
Old 05-02-2014
cd to the directory with the A B C ... directories first. Try something like:
Code:
for f in */*
do 
  [ -f "$f" ] && mv "./$f" "$newdir/${f%/*}_${f##*/}"
done

First try it out on some test directories..

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 05-02-2014 at 12:54 PM..
# 6  
Old 05-02-2014
Thanks, Makarand - it moved 2 of the ~500 files.... not sure how that can happen?

---------- Post updated at 05:06 PM ---------- Previous update was at 05:00 PM ----------

Scrutinizer, almost worked - if I need to move just files with the extension .dsp do I just do mv "./$f.dsp" ? Many thanks to both of you for your help!
# 7  
Old 05-02-2014
Hi Claire.a, just change
Code:
for f in */*

to
Code:
for f in */*.dsp

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script for renaming and moving Files - Easy?

Hey guys, ive been working on this for about 2hrs now - without any solution. At first I need to say I dont have skills in linux bash scripting, but I tried to use some codesnippets and manuals from google. What I want to do: I have different folders including 2 different filestypes with... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: peter1337
15 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving and renaming multiple files in a directory

Hi. I am trying to automate the movement and renaming of a number of files in a directory. I am using the 'mv' command as I do not have access to 'rename'. I have the following scripted FILES=$(ls /transfer/move/sys/mail/20130123/) if ; then for i in ${FILES} ; do mv... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimbojames
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Complex renaming then moving files

I am a biologist and using an program on a computer cluster that generates a lot of data. The program creates a directory named ExperimentX (where X is a number) that contains files "out.pdb" and "log.txt". I would like to create a script that renames the out.pdb file to out_ExperimentX.pdb (or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yaledocker
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving and renaming large ammount of files

Hey, I'm kinda new to the shell scripting and I don't wanna mess things up yet :) Looking for a solution to the following: I need to move all the files like "filename.failed.dateandtime" to another directory also renaming them "filename.ready". I can't figure how to do this with multiple files... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sg3
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need script for renaming and moving files one by one...

Dears, I need your help! I got a problem and found some workaround solution but I donno how to realize it. I have a number of files (about 300 each day) and I need them to be renamed. All these files has fixed number of letters and name looks like this one:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nypreH
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with shell script for moving/deleting/renaming files

Hi. I need help with a little script that will be used to move some files to their parent directory, delete the directory, rename one file in the parent directory and delete another, then continue to the next. Here's an example: /var/media/Music/Genesis/1970 album - Trespass (2008 Box -... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aflower
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Moving files out of multiple directories and renaming them in numerical order

Hi, I have 500 directories each with multiple data files inside them. The names are sort of random. For example, one directory has files named e_1.dat, e_5.dat, e_8.dat, etc. I need to move the files to a single directory and rename them all in numerical order, from 1.dat to 1000(or some... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: renthead720
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding files older than the current date and time and renaming and moving

Hi, I have a very urgent requirement here. I have to find all files in the specified directory but not in the sub directories(The directory name is stored in a variable) which are older than the current date as well as current time and rename it as filename_yyyymmddhhmmss.ext and move it into a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragavhere
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving multiple files and renaming them on the fly

Hi All, Being new to scripting I am facing a new situation. We have an application that generates a file lets say dumpfile for each user under the users home directory when they execute the application. This is quite a huge file and imagine having that for over 40 users on a daily basis. The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: daemongk
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

moving and renaming multiple files

Greetings, I know i can use the mv command to move and rename one file. How can I do this with multiple files? example pic01.bmp to pic0001.bmp how can i perform this function on an entire directory of sequential files and keep them in sequence? Hints, suggestions are most welcome:) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rocinante
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question