Find a file that could have different endings

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Find a file that could have different endings
# 1  
Old 02-07-2011
Find a file that could have different endings

Hello all. Hope you can help. I am looking for a complete command to search for a file named HOSPCHK. The file could be listed with numbers after it like [0-9] it could be listed with letters after it [a-z] or a combination of both or just by it self. The other catch is the file that I want to look for has no extention on it. So I have been playing with the following:
Code:
ls -l *\*\*\HOSPCHK*[0-9] | awk '{ print $5 }
ls -l *\*\*\HOSPCH*[a-z]*[0-9] | awk '{ print $5 }
ls -l *\*\*\HOSPCHK | awk '{ print $5 }

Can you suggest anything that would capture that file a better way?

Thanks for any help with this.

Last edited by Scott; 02-07-2011 at 01:47 PM.. Reason: Please use code tags
# 2  
Old 02-07-2011
Question Are there instances you are trying to exclude?

Does the file exist in filename versions that you do not want to find?
Why not a simple wildcard * to find anything?
# 3  
Old 02-07-2011
When I do the wildcard it picks up the files with the extensions. I was looking at things like '/\./' but I am a true newbee and couldn't get that to work...also playing with the grep but no luck.
# 4  
Old 02-07-2011
What about

Code:
ls -1 sample* | awk -F. '{if ($2<="") print $1}'

in place of sample, you could substitute your search string - HOSPCHK
# 5  
Old 02-07-2011
I tried ls -1 HOSPCHK* | awk -F. '{if ($2<="") print $1}' and it didn't seem to find it...also tried ls -1 *\*\*\HOSPCHK* | awk -F. '{if ($2<="") print $1}'. Checked the directory to make sure the file was in there and it does exist. Can you see anything wrong with those statements?
# 6  
Old 02-07-2011
Try it simplified

Just do the first half of the ls -1 without the awk argument.
See if you get filenames listing.
# 7  
Old 02-07-2011
Yep when I do the ls-1 *\*\*\HOS* I get about 6 files. It includes the file I want but also includes 5 files with extentions on it.

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Tip to remove line endings and spaces on a pre-formatted text file?

Hi, At the moment, using Notepad++ to do a search and replace, manually section by section which is real painful. Yeah, so copying each section of the line of text and putting into a file and then search and replace, need at least 3-operations in Notepad++. Here's hoping I will be able to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sendmail ignoring line endings

Mails from Sendmail are ignoring line endings, when I try to send email with attachment. I have tried to specify the font in the html but line endings are still ignored. I also tried unix2dos, still no luck. #!/usr/bin/ksh ###Send Email MAILTO=`cat mail2.list | tr -s '\n' ','` SUBJECT="bla bla... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aydj
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find a file with a specific pattern for current sysdate & upon find email the details?

I need assistance with following requirement, I am new to Unix. I want to do the following task but stuck with file creation date(sysdate) Following is the requirement I need to create a script that will read the abc/xyz/klm folder and look for *.err files for that day’s date and then send an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: PreetArul
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

wanted to find both link file and ordinary file using single find command

find . -type fl o/p is only the ordinary file. where in it wont give the link files. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil jain
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

vimrc help with line endings

I was reading this and thought I could put this in my vimrc and it would convert the line endings to unix. Am I doing something wrong or am I missing something? set ff=unixManaging/Munging Line-Endings with Vi/Vim | Jeet Sukumaran I used this command and it confirms that my global option is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

line endings help of non-ASCII files

When you are dealing with ASCII files it easy to check on line endings type. You can just use the file command. You are not always lucky enough to be dealing with ASCII files. So in the cases that you don't have ASCII files how can you check what type of line endings you have? Please list all... (5 Replies)
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Vi line endings conversions

I was reading these 2 articles. Why does the wikia one think :e ++ff=dos? Or am I just misunderstanding it? :e ++ff=unix :e ++ff=dos File format - Vim Tips Wiki Managing/Munging Line-Endings with Vi/Vim | Jeet Sukumaran (1 Reply)
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems with Sed/awk/grep and line endings

Hello I have created the following script, which is designed to manipulate a text document: #!/bin/sh # Get 3 lines, (last of which is "Quantity"); adjust order; put all three on one line with tabs. FILENAME=~/Desktop/email.txt LIST=$(grep -B2 "Quantity" ${FILENAME} |awk 'BEGIN { FS = "\n"; RS... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: benwiggy
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to find a file named vijay in a directory using find command

I need to find whether there is a file named vijay is there or not in folder named "opt" .I tried "ls *|grep vijay" but it showed permission problem. so i need to use find command (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: amirthraj_12
6 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question