Editor for working with large files

Operating Systems Solaris Editor for working with large files
# 1  
Old 02-10-2014
Sun Editor for working with large files

Hi,

We have file which is about 756 MB of size and vi/vim do not work when we try to edit this file. I'm looking for any editor ( ok if its NOT free ) which has the ability to open/edit a file of 1+GB seamlessly. The OS is SUN Solaris 10 ( Sparc )

Thanks in Advance
Maverick
# 2  
Old 02-10-2014
What messages do you get from vi?

Is it a space issue?

If so, then this is because the temporary file it creates has to reside somewhere and the default is /var/tmp If that filesystem is not big enough then it will fail to open the file as you expect. You can re-direct the temporary file by editing your .exrc and including the following directive:-
Code:
set dir=/test/temp

.... or to wherever you have sufficient free space.

Of course, I've never tried to open such a huge file as a few hundred Mb, so this is not guaranteed to work!

I hope that it helps though.

Robin
Liverpool/Blackburn
UK
# 3  
Old 02-10-2014
I have done what you have mentioned and it still gives me the same message

Tmp file too large

However, the default directory /var/tmp has about 59 GB of free space.
# 4  
Old 02-10-2014
What do you need from the file? If it's just browsing to confirm something, then more will suffice. If you really need to edit and save the result, you may need to split the file up, edit the required part and then reassemble it.

If it's data, perhaps you need some code to do the edit. You might get away with a sed for a single line if you can work out which line you need to change.

Can you tell us more about what your objective is and someone may be able to suggest more options for you.

Robin
# 5  
Old 02-10-2014
Hi.

I agree with the sentiment of rbatte1 -- what are you trying to do?

There are some additional tips at How to edit multi-gigabyte text files? Vim doesn't work =( - Stack Overflow including an anecdote from someone who edited a 44 GB file.

Best wishes ... cheers, drl
This User Gave Thanks to drl For This Post:
# 6  
Old 02-10-2014
To view/navigate in the file, I would suggest to use less, which has many all the vi commands outside those that change the file content.
To modify the file, I would use either sed or nawk.
# 7  
Old 02-12-2014
I would say a paid option is also good in this case. This is needed by people who are NON-IT so it would be good if we had an editor rather than sed/awk script.Any suggestions on a non free editor ( for Sparc solaris)
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Vi editor not working

Hi All, When i try to use vi editor to view content of a file i get error "Terminal too wide" I try to use the following stty command though i dont know the purpose of it ( as it was said in some oracle forum ) but still the same error returns. "stty columns 120" Could you explain... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maddy123
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed and awk not working on a large record file

Hi All, I have a very large single record file. abc;date||bcd;efg|......... pqr;stu||record_count;date when i do wc -l on this file it gives me "0" records, coz of missing line feed. my problem is there is an extra pipe that is coming at the end of this record like... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gurkamal83
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

copying the files in vi editor

Hi, For a particular file i used Vi editor to view the content and i have to copy the same , But in the files if have 1000 lines and i have to copy the file contents from 700th to 900th lines But while copying i'm dragging the mouse from top to bottom but i supposed to copy the lines... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: thelakbe
8 Replies

4. Programming

Working with extremely large numbers in C

Hi All, I am just curious, not programming anything of my own. I know there are libraries like gmp which does all such things. But I really need to know HOW they do all such things i.e. working with extremely large unimaginable numbers which are beyond the integer limit. They can do add,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies

5. Solaris

How to safely copy full filesystems with large files (10Gb files)

Hello everyone. Need some help copying a filesystem. The situation is this: I have an oracle DB mounted on /u01 and need to copy it to /u02. /u01 is 500 Gb and /u02 is 300 Gb. The size used on /u01 is 187 Gb. This is running on solaris 9 and both filesystems are UFS. I have tried to do it using:... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragonov7
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Divide large data files into smaller files

Hello everyone! I have 2 types of files in the following format: 1) *.fa >1234 ...some text... >2345 ...some text... >3456 ...some text... . . . . 2) *.info >1234 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ad23
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

working with vi editor

Hi there, I am unable to find solution to the following question. 1) How do you copy 10 lines starting from the current and paste at the end of file? 2) How do you delete five lines starting from the current and four lines above? 3) What is the command to remove all space... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: grc
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Files search in vi editor

Hi All, Apologise if I am in the wrong forum, I am trying to view all files one by one in the vi editor that contain a pattern. This command work but not sure where to pipe it to use vi editor find . -name "pattern" -print | xargs -ltr tnx in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lingosa
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Planning on writing a Guide to Working with Large Datasets

In a recent research experiment I was handling, I faced this task of managing huge amounts of data to the order of Terabytes and with the help of many people here, I managed to learn quite a lot of things in the whole process. I am sure that many people will keep facing these situations quite often... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Legend986
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sed working on lines of small length and not large length

Hi , I have a peculiar case, where my sed command is working on a file which contains lines of small length. sed "s/XYZ:1/XYZ:3/g" abc.txt > xyz.txt when abc.txt contains lines of small length(currently around 80 chars) , this sed command is working fine. when abc.txt contains lines of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thanuman
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question