GNU's Not Unix! - The Free Software Foundation

Operating Systems Linux GNU's Not Unix! - The Free Software Foundation
# 1  
Old 09-07-2003
GNU's Not Unix! - The Free Software Foundation

The GNU Project: http://www.gnu.org/

Quote:
The GNU Project was launched in 1984 to develop a complete Unix-like operating system which is free software: the GNU system. (GNU is a recursive acronym for ``GNU's Not Unix''; it is pronounced "guh-NEW".) Variants of the GNU operating system, which use the kernel Linux, are now widely used; though these systems are often referred to as ``Linux'', they are more accurately called GNU/Linux systems.
# 2  
Old 09-07-2003
i still like saying "G - N - U" better than "GUHNEW"

Smilie
# 3  
Old 09-07-2003
Me too. Same for "GNOME".
# 4  
Old 09-22-2003
I don't understand where the G is derived from..
# 5  
Old 09-22-2003
Quote:
Originally posted by Synbios
I don't understand where the G is derived from..
Nothing is more tedious than attempting to explain a joke to someone who doesn't get it. No one can provide an answer that you will find satifactory.

Had you followed our rules and performed a search prior to asking a question, you would have found this thread.
# 6  
Old 10-24-2003
I also like to call it G N U

I also like to call it G N U!
Because it is easy for me to talk to others!Smilie
# 7  
Old 10-24-2003
Hmmm... maybe someone should write an FAQ on the proper pronunciation of common *nix terms; i.e.: is it lie-nix (like Torvalds himself says, and therefore what I follow), or linnucks (like almost everyone else I meet says)?
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

Free Radius Software (GNU)

hi i have heared that there is a package called freeradius used for authenticating!!! actually i want to learn more about it but i cant find details on how to use it? is it based on client server model i.e should i have to install in both client and the server machines ? i am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: u.n.i.x
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Free unix software

I used to have a free software on my computer to practice unix. Unfortunately, I had to rebuild the laptop after it was infected by a virus. Now I cannot remember the website where to download the software. Can anyone point me to a site? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ernst
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Free UNIX software with oracle

Hi Friends, is there any site for download the UNIX operating system with Oracle database. if yes, Please send me the link for download the free Oracle software in UNIX environment. Thanks MPS (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: psiva_arul
1 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

want to know hot to get free unix software

:mad: :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rolando
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question