Please update inittab/rc.shutdown/rc scripts to start/stop mqm (need help Urgent)

Operating Systems AIX Please update inittab/rc.shutdown/rc scripts to start/stop mqm (need help Urgent)
# 1  
Old 08-20-2010
Please update inittab/rc.shutdown/rc scripts to start/stop mqm (need help Urgent)

HI i need help from seniors on this issue, i need to know how to do this, i need to update 50+ server starting saturday. below is the ticket which i have with full description.

Currently MQ Series must be stopped before and started after any reboot. Not having the start/stop as part of the server init scripts leaves a large exposure, should the application fail to be stopped during VM patching or should the server reboot due to hardware or other issues. Of course, we understand the init/rc scripts will likely not be executed should the server crash, but that is a known risk.

We have suggested the entries to add and the username under which to run the scripts below. The scripts themselves will be owned and maintained by the middleware team (SC AG = mls-flwdw-wmq). Whether it's best to add them to the inittab/rc.shutdown or to the rc scripts we leave to you. Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns. Many thanks!

NOTE: Existing ibmmq references in the init/rc scripts can be removed/disabled.

During server shutdown/reboot please ensure that the following is one of the first things that is shut down. It must definitely be done before file system umount or other standard OS servcies are stopped and the host is taken off the network.

As username mqm: ~mqm/.OSinit/MQinit -stop (~mqm refers to the mqm home directory, usually /home/mqm)

If you need to create a wrapper script in the rc scripts for root to run this as mqm, contents of that script similar to the following should work:
su - mqm -c ~mqm/.OSinit/MQinit -stop
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
During server startup/boot/reboot please ensure that the following is run sometime after the OS services start and all file systems are mounted:

As username mqm: ~mqm/.OSinit/MQinit -start (Again, ~mqm references the mqm home directory)

If you need to create a wrapper script in the rc scripts for root to run this as mqm, contents of that script similar to the following should work:
su - mqm -c ~mqm/.OSinit/MQinit -start

Last edited by gulamibrahim; 08-20-2010 at 06:19 AM..
# 2  
Old 08-20-2010
Everyone at the UNIX and Linux Forums gives their best effort to reply to all questions in a timely manner. For this reason, posting questions with subjects like "Urgent!" or "Emergency" and demanding a fast reply are not permitted in the regular forums.

For members who want a higher visibility to their questions, we suggest you post in the Emergency UNIX and Linux Support Forum. This forum is given a higher priority than our regular forums.

Posting a new question in the Emergency UNIX and Linux Support Forum requires forum Bits. We monitor this forum to help people with emergencies, but we do not not guarantee response time or best answers. However, we will treat your post with a higher priority and give our best efforts to help you.

If you have posted a question in the regular forum with a subject "Urgent" "Emergency" or similar idea, we will, more-than-likely, close your thread and post this reply, redirecting you to the proper forum.

Of course, you can always post a descriptive subject text, remove words like "Urgent" etc. (from your subject and post) and post in the regular forums at any time.

Thank you.

The UNIX and Linux Forums
# 3  
Old 08-25-2010
First of all - an entry in /etc/inittab will start but not stop your application - so forget about it.

The proper way is to create a script in /etc/rc.d/init.d - you can call it for example mqm.
The content of the script is basically what you have posted in your own thread. Make it executable and writable for the mq group. Than create links to this script in /etc/rc.d/rc2.d ...
Code:
cd /etc/rc.d/rc2.d 
ln -s /etc/rc.d/init.d/mqm S99mqm ; ln -s /etc/rc.d/init.d/mqm K48mqm

and you are done.

Kind regards
zxmaus
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

[HA] Red Hat 7, pacemaker and start/stop scripts

Hi there, I am wondering if I could add start/stop ksh scripts provided by 3rd party to cluster... I read that script must be ocf/lsb compliant, however, in AIX I can just set up two separate scripts for starting and stopping application. Can similar be done under RH Linux cluster? Cheers, c (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cyjan
1 Replies

2. Red Hat

Script to run at start and shutdown

Hello, I have script that start and shutdown the application. where should i place my script so that it can execute at my OS shutdown ? Pls help me... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh84g
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Oracle DB Start shutdown scripts

Hi, We have a requirement wherein we do not want to share the Oracle DB sys and system passwords to be shared with the support desk. But they will be responsible for starting/shuting down the Database. Is it possible to write a shell script which will read the sys and system passwords from a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: narayanv
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Services Start & stop scripts--help required

Dear All, Pls find my scripts for Agent services strat & stop. EAMSROOT=/opt/panaces export EAMSROOT cd $EAMSROOT nohup ./OracleAgent.sh start & nohup ./PFRAgent.sh start & nohup ./PFR.sh start & nohup ./SolarisOSAgent.sh start & exit 0 EAMSROOT=/opt/panaces export EAMSROOT cd... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: starnaresh
0 Replies

5. AIX

stop application befor shutdown

Stop the application before shutdown the server .. I have application need to be started with the system and also need to be stop before shutdown the system This is the path of the application: /usr/appstart /usr/appstop to start the application with the startup of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr.AIX
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing the Bash Scripts to Bourne Scripts:URGENT

Hi, I have to write a program to compute the checksums of files ./script.sh I wrote the program using bash and it took me forever since I am a beginner but it works very well. I'm getting so close to the deadline and I realised today that actually I have to use normal Bourne shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pgarg1989
3 Replies

7. Red Hat

Problem with Stop Script during shutdown of o/s

Friends , I create two script for oracle database startup and shutdown . $ cat start.sh ORACLE_HOME=/u01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1 ORACLE_OWNER=oracle su - oracle << ! sqlplus / as sysdba << ! startup $ cat stop.sh ORACLE_HOME=/u01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shipon_97
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Unable to shutdown and start machine

Hello. I have just installed solaris on my PC (standalone). It allows to reboot. But IF I shut down and the restart by pressing the button - It does not show my solaris OS and I am then forced to perform fresh installation. Could you please let me know the fix for it - So that shutdown and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: panchpan
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stopping Start/Stop scripts in reverse order

#Define the Start/Stop/Status Scripts to include SSS_SCRIPTS=( prog1 prog2 prog3 etc...... ) #Start the scripts StartScripts() { for SSS in ${SSS_SCRIPTS} do ./$SSS start done } #Stop the Scripts StopScripts() { for SSS in ${SSS_SCRIPTS} do ./$SSS stop #<---I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: madasafish
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Start and stop of an application thru shell scripts.

Hi, I just learnt the shell scripting and got working on that right now. I have one problem. Here i am having a java application that needs to be start and stop using two shell scripts, i.e., starting the java application using one shell script and stopping the application using another... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sadha
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question