Experts Only! Hard Question Ahead!!!!

Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Experts Only! Hard Question Ahead!!!!
# 1  
Old 01-07-2002
Question Experts Only! Hard Question Ahead!!!!

SunOS5.8 is a radical departure from SunOs4.X in many ways. one of the important differences is the handling of devices. Adding devices under SunOS4.x required a kernel reconfiguration, recompliation and reboot. Under SunOS5.X, this has changed with the ability to add some drivers on the fly. However, both systems still use the concept of major and minor numbers when dealing with devices.

What do major and minor numbers mean under both SunOS4.X and SunOS5.8?

Told ya it was tricky.... Any experts out there??

-Michelle
# 2  
Old 01-07-2002
All devices in UNIX are accessed as files. Providing this abstraction requires some pretty complicated programming in the kernel. The programs are called device drivers. Once you write a device driver, you must add it to the kernel and make it available to user processes to access the device in question. In the process of incorporating the device driver into the kernel, you add the driver entry points to the device switch table. The device switch table is basically a muti-dimensional array. The major number of a device is the index into the array to access the device driver entry points. The meaning of the device minor number depends on the device driver. It can be used anyway the driver writer wants to use it. However, in most cases, it is used to differentiate between multiple instances of the same type of device.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk question for experts

Hi guys I am trying to perform a substitution using 'awk' command, but it fails. I work in ksh. Here is my code: $ line="F 18:30 10 23:00 ts1632back" $ n="ts1632back" $ m="18:45" $ echo ${line} | nawk -v a=$n -v b=$m '{if ($5==a) $2=m; print }' F 10 23:00 ts1632back $It should've... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

usage of sed question for experts

I need a little help with sed. Basically, I need to parse out selections from the output of hddtemp so conky can display some hdd temps for me. I have hddtemp in daemon mode so A simple 'nc localhost 7634' displays the following: $ nc localhost 7634... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: audiophile
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

special question, hard to describe in few words...

dear coders, i need some inspiration again... there is something what i always wanted to know... how to code following: value 1: __________ value 2: __________ important: when my "script" starts the display has to be cleared and two lines are shown (see above), the cursor has to be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pseudocoder
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

hard question

I have a directory containing a series of files of the format: A2008001231000.L2 I only care about the 6-8 digits, so the files are effectively: ?????---*.L2 I have files that range from ?????001*.L2 to ?????366*.L2 It should be noted these three digits represent the julian day of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple question (for you guys, hard for me)

I am trying to exit this script by cd'ing into a particular directory. #!/bin/bash /opt/xxx/xxx/d2h $1 fname=$( /opt/xxx/xxx/d2h $1) cd /opt/xxx1/xxx1 find . -name '*'$fname'*' -ls cd /opt/xxx1/xxx1 Upon execution, it returns to my home directory (where I am running this script from. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BkontheShell718
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[question] hard exercise, help needed

Hello guys. Well, on this exercise i need the average "chargeAmount" per hour (for each hour). with this code : cat getusagesummarywrongmatch | grep -iv MOU2GRTObject | cut -d'|' -f4,14 | grep -i chargeamount | cut -d' ' -f2 http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/5889/65969235do0.jpg i got... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: EnioMarques
2 Replies

7. AIX

Hard Drive Question

Good day, I have an rs/6000 server, model 7044-270. I bought a 2nd hard drive for it but im not sure its the right one. (fru:H13060) As you surely know, the 7044-270 hard drives are put in some sort of tray/carrier. There is a cable that will interface the HDD with the tray/carrier so the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Netghost
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

hard/soft link question

I am curious about one thing. Lets say I have a file file-a to which new generations are created on demand by simply archiving it (ex: file-a.tar.gz) and having the new one created with the same original filename file-a. Now what I want to know is if I create a hard/soft link to file-a, what... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Coding question for any experts out there

Given this one long stream of data (all one line): <TransactionDetail><TransactionHeader><ErrorLogging>YES</ErrorLogging><HistoryLogging>YES</HistoryLogging><ErrorDetection>NO</ErrorD... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dfran1972
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Please Help.... Desperate need! Hard Question!

I know pipelined processors have issues with interupts.... but why? And does the architecture of the CPU affect the kind of software that can run on it? If someone could help me out that would be awsome. My boss came to me with this question and I can't find anything on the web helping me out.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sparticus007
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question