Error F painit on bootup

Operating Systems SCO Error F painit on bootup
# 1  
Old 03-26-2018
Error F painit on bootup

I have a known good external SCSI HD running SCO UNIX OpenServer 5.0.7. I decided that I wanted to be able to run this drive on another computer, so I bought the same SCSI card as before (LSI) and then attempted to boot on the other system. The bootup process hung with the error F painit. I've never seen this before--does anyone know what this means? I know that the LSI card is good because I've used it to boot to Windows Server--and this OS installed the driver and sees the card perfectly. The two computers both use Gigabyte motherboards, but they're not the same model. Still, I don't think that should make a difference.
# 2  
Old 03-26-2018
What is the manufacturing date of the replacement board?
Boards manufactured since mid 2012 (designed for Windows 8) can cause issues.

You may be able to determine if the mb is usable by:
Boot the motherboard from an SCO 5.0.7 cd, (with or without a hard disk), and see how far you can get with the installation.
# 3  
Old 03-26-2018
The LSI card was manufactured on or before 2012. It works fine in my original system, as does the hard drive. The motherboard for the original system is GA-X58A-UD7. The motherboard for the alternate system is GA-EP45-UD3P. The boot process gets to step F, which is for I/O, I think, and it hangs.
# 4  
Old 03-26-2018
Can you check the CMOS and ensure that the sata controller is set to ide and not ahci, and if there is the option also set it to compatible mode.
# 5  
Old 03-26-2018
Yes, the SATA controller is set to IDE, not AHCI. This is a dual boot system; the SATA drive is for Windows Server; the SCSI drive is for SCO UNIX OpenServer. I checked the CPU: it's an Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 running at 3.33 GHz; it's compatible with SCO. I don't think there's anything else I can change in the BIOS. (Besides, my original system is also dual boot--Windows 7 Pro and SCO, and here I have SATA set to AHCI--SCO boots regardless.)

---------- Post updated at 09:57 PM ---------- Previous update was at 09:40 PM ----------

There is one difference though: the original computer has an Intel Pro/100 ethernet card, whereas the alternate computer has a RealTek Gigabit ethernet card. Could this be the source of the hangup? I would think that SCO would note the issue but then continue with the boot...
# 6  
Old 03-26-2018
Can you post a screen shot of the error message? I will look at it in the morning.
# 7  
Old 03-27-2018
Screenshot Attached

I've attached a jpg of the screen. I've also ordered a new Intel Pro/100+ network card to put into the alternate computer--the Realtek LAN card is really the only I/O device which is different from the original computer. I'll post again when I receive and install the new LAN card--I hope that will solve the problem.
Error F painit on bootup-sco_unix_error_step_f_bootjpg
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Sunfire X4600 Errors on Bootup

Hi Folks, Has anyone seen these errors on bootup. Mar 15 12:22:30 svc.startd: svc:/system/device/local:default: Method "/lib/svc/method/devices-local" failed due to signal SEGV.ht (c) 1983, 2010, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved. Configuring devices. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ESSTEAM
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bootup sequence

What is the boot up sequence in UNIX? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthi_g
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

system slows after bootup for some time

Hi, I am using a Linux system running at run level 3. I am finding a wired problem, once the system boots, the system terminal slows down, I need to type the characters repeatedly to enter my login and password info. Also running any commands takes time, it stays in this condition for some... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cjjoy
1 Replies

4. AIX

File system not mounting at bootup

Hi, I've got a recent problem with 2 file systems on an AIX 5.3 server. The fs's are marked to auto mount at startup and do show as being mounted after a a restart however if you cd to the mount point and 'df -g .' it shows the fs hasn't actually mounted. $ mount |grep SQLT0001.0 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: m223464
2 Replies

5. AIX

How to start ssh at bootup

Hi i installed ssh of version v 1.21 and my AIX is of 5.3. I want to start my ssh deamon at the startup can any one please help me out reg.. Thanks in advance.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kmalla
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why not automatic bootup

Evry time I start up my mavhine ,have to type in unix at Boot : Is there a way unix should bootup automatically? Asif (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asif iqbal
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bootup Error

Hi all The following error was displayed when a sco server (5.0.5) was booted. What should be done to overcome the problem. Replies appreciated. Bios 03.0 0130688 KB memory good 01 processor(s) in system remote console dialing on, please wait connect fail : modem off cpu clock... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: raguramtgr
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

bootup script

Hello there I need to run a script whenever i reboot or startup my HP-UX server. This script adds some routes to the route table, and it start third party aplications like "Star Manager". I thought i could do this simply putting the script in "/sbin/init.d, and a link to the script in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vascobrito
7 Replies

9. Linux

Preventing a scan of the RAID during bootup

I have a RH 7.3 server that needs a restart today after putting a patch in place. The last time I rebooted this box was almost a year ago and when the uptime is quite long, Linux likes to check all the disks for errors, including the RAID. This adds almost 1.5Hrs to my bootup process:eek: . Does... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: turbo90awd
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Triple bootup

Hi guys, May I know how to install Solaris 8 in the way that I can triple boot it with my the other two OS: WIndows ME and Windows 2000 Pro. Can you all please kindly advise me on how to setup the triple boot process inorder to allow Windows ME to be the default OS when being ask to choose... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cia
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question