Unmask

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unmask
# 1  
Old 09-29-2008
Unmask

Hi All,
I'm a newbie to UNIX I'm learning AIX 5l Basics I'm unable to execute UNMASK command as mentioned. Could any one help me.
# 2  
Old 09-29-2008
I don't know unmask. Maybe you mean "umask".
# 3  
Old 09-29-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaxxon
I don't know unmask. Maybe you mean "umask".
Yes I mean the same I've miss typed sorry.
# 4  
Old 09-29-2008
Could you please explain what are you trying to do ? If you can post command syntax it would help us to understand and help you.

- nilesh
# 5  
Old 09-29-2008
The mention command does a very simple thing. Actually with it you set the default permissions you want for files. It could be for every created file in the system or for a specific user session.

If you for example want for every single file only read permissions then you have to do this:

777(all permissions) - 444(read permissions) = 333, the umask for only readable permissions is: 333

Have a look here: Setting default permissions

Last edited by agasamapetilon; 09-29-2008 at 10:44 AM..
# 6  
Old 09-30-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by agasamapetilon
The mention command does a very simple thing. Actually with it you set the default permissions you want for files. It could be for every created file in the system or for a specific user session.

If you for example want for every single file only read permissions then you have to do this:

777(all permissions) - 444(read permissions) = 333, the umask for only readable permissions is: 333

Have a look here: Setting default permissions
umask (as its name says) is a mask and you have to remember that what you set is to be subtracted from 777 to get the require file creation permissions.

umask 000 - will mean created files have perms 777
umask 022 - will mean create files will have pwems 755
# 7  
Old 09-30-2008
Actually the default mode depends on the program which creates the file; often it's 666 minus umask or 644 minus umask. Very rarely does a program attempt to create a file with the executable bit set.

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Unmask/Decrypt an XML file?

Hello All, Below is the content of the XML datafile when i do vi the XML file not sure why the content is showing like this, it could be because the data inside the file is masked or something? is there a way i can decrypt or unmask the data in a human readable format? . When i use my Informatica... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
20 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Change group and Unmask it to 027 in Linux?

I want to propose a change to the run script environment. This would change the effective group of the wsadmin account to prodview with a umask of 027 before running our services. In linux this can be accomplished by the following #!/bin/ksh # # Original shell # newgrp prodview <<... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sindhu puja
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question