How to Differentiate Between Files and Folders?

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to Differentiate Between Files and Folders?
# 1  
Old 04-27-2006
How to Differentiate Between Files and Folders?

Hi All,

I'm a rookie using HPUX and I know this is going to sound like a bonehead question, but when I list the contents of a directory, how can I determine which objects are files and which are folders? I'm using the ll and ls commands to lists the contents. So far I've been determining the object types by trying to cd/more the objects and see what happens. I figured there's gotta be a better way.

Thanks in advance.
# 2  
Old 04-27-2006
If it's 96 bytes, it's a directory?

I think I just figured it out. Anything that's a directory seems to be 96 bytes. Does this sound like a reliable method?

Thanks,

Dan
# 3  
Old 04-27-2006
Sorry for the wasted post...

drwxr-x---

If it startes with "dr"

Thanks if you were thinking about responding.
# 4  
Old 04-27-2006
Half right Smilie , if it starts with a 'd' it's a directory (the r is the start of the permissions and shows that the file owner can read the file - use "man ls" for lots of info on all of the fields displayed by ls)

cheers
# 5  
Old 04-27-2006
here...

It is completely legitimate question BTW.

In the head of output by ls -l

- stands for a regular file
d stands for directory
l stands for a symbolic link
c stands for character oriented device
b stands for block oriented device

You can figure out more by using "man ls" command.
Get "UNIX Essentials and UNIX Core" DVD course or "UNIX in 24 hours" book as them address questions of this sort.
Hope it helps.
# 6  
Old 04-27-2006
Thanks!

Thanks for all the replies. I'll look into those resources.
# 7  
Old 04-28-2006
Here another visual way to represent folders and other objects, such as links. Us e the -F option of ls.

Quote:
/usr/bin/ls
-F Marks directories with a trailing slash (/), doors
with a trailing greater-than sign (>), executable
files with a trailing asterisk (*), FIFOs with a
trailing vertical bar (|), symbolic links with a
trailing "at" sign (@), and AF_UNIX address family
sockets with a trailing equals sign (=). Follows
symlinks named as operands.

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to copy files/folders and show the files/folders?

Hi, So i know we use cp -r as a basic to copy folders/files. I would like this BUT i would like to show the output of the files being copied. With the amazing knowledge i have i have gone as far as this: 1) find source/* -exec cp -r {} target/ \; 2) for ObjectToBeCopied in `find... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Imre
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Differentiate 2 files name

Hello All, I have 2 Type of files. 1. MYTEST001_RKP_DORALDO_20150402120000.zip 2. CMP001_STD001_MOGANO_RPSL_20150409_C.zip I can receive these Two type of file at one location. If i receive second type of file CMP001_STD001_MOGANO_RPSL_20150409_C.zip I have to process without... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: yadavricky
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare and Differentiate Multiple Files

Im using code below comparing and getting the diff of two files. But what about multiple files? can you help me guys diff -u file1 file2|sed -n '/^---/!{/^-/s/-//p}' diff -ui file1 file2| sed -n '/^++/!{/^+/s/+//p}' Example File1: aaa bbb ccc ddd File2: bbb eee (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

List all the files in the present path and Folders and subfolders files also

Hi, I need a script/command to list out all the files in current path and also the files in folder and subfolders. Ex: My files are like below $ ls -lrt total 8 -rw-r--r-- 1 abc users 419 May 25 10:27 abcd.xml drwxr-xr-x 3 abc users 4096 May 25 10:28 TEST $ Under TEST, there are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: divya bandipotu
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching for folders/parent folders not files.

Hello again, A little while back I got help with creating a command to search all directories and sub directories for files from daystart of day x. I'm wondering if there is a command that I've overlooked that may be able to search for / write folder names to an output file which ideally... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aussiemick
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 folders to find several missing files among huge amounts of files.

Hi, all: I've got two folders, say, "folder1" and "folder2". Under each, there are thousands of files. It's quite obvious that there are some files missing in each. I just would like to find them. I believe this can be done by "diff" command. However, if I change the above question a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jiapei100
1 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

Differentiate between MS Word and Excel files in Unix

Hi, I want to differentiate between a MS Word and Excel file in Unix (not by extension). The condition which we are currently checking for is the pattern "\320\317\021\340" within first 40 bytes of the file. However this format is same in all MS Office files. Can somebody tell me any special... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: phatak_rajan
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to differentiate two tar files

Hi All, I am new to this unix stuff.I just have one doubt:suppose i have two tar files and sometimes it happens that when we just check these files from outside these two tar files look same "Eg: ls -lrt drw-r--r-- 1 oasis logadmin 37067 Apr 3 05:48 file1.tar drw-r--r-- 1 oasis ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: siri_14
7 Replies

9. HP-UX

to get the timestamp of files from the files and folders in Unix

Hi, I had a directory and many subdirectories and files with in it. Now i want to get the timestamp of files from the files and folders recursively. :( Please help me to generate a script fort he above mentioned requirement! Appreciate for ur qick response Thanks in advance! ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kishan
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing old files except configuration files and folders

Dear all, I want to remove files older than 2 months in the /home/member directory. But except the configuration files (like .bash_profile .config/ .openoffice/ .local/ .kde/ etc..) I have tried with the command find . -mtime +60 -wholename './.*' -prune -o -print -exec mv {} \; but it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamcalicut
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question