No sound

Operating Systems Linux No sound
# 1  
Old 01-24-2012
No sound

I reformatted my hard drive and installed Mandriva 2011.
It works fine. I can go to the Internet

The problem is no sound.
I want to listen to songs from YouTube. Sound doesn't come.
I see a man is singing on the screen. No sound.
I had no problem with my old Mandriva. Sound and everything worked fine.

Your help is greatly appreciated.
# 2  
Old 01-24-2012
What's your system?
# 3  
Old 01-24-2012
I have a 64 bit PC. I have installed 64 bit Mandriva 2011.
I intend to install Fedora Core, Ubuntu, Open SuSe, etc.
I installed Mandriva on 'sda1'.
I have made 'sda2' , 'sda3' etc for other operating systems.
Every partition has 75 GB.
I will use GRUB to have other operating systems.
# 4  
Old 01-24-2012
64-bit what? sound hardware is hardware-dependent.
# 5  
Old 01-24-2012
Thanks for the reply. I looked at the details about the sound configuration and read the following
.................................................................................................... .....................................
Sound Configuration
Here you can select an alternative driver (either OSS or ALSA) for your sound card (VIA Technologies, Inc.|VT1708/A [Azalia HDAC] (VIA High Definition Audio Controller)).

Your card currently use the ALSA "snd_hda_intel" driver (default driver for your card is "snd_hda_intel")

Driver: snd_hda_intel[ALSA]

* Enable PulseAudio
* Enable 5.1 sound with PulseAudio
* Enable user switicihing for Audio applications [This is unmarked.]
* Use Glitch-Free mode
# 6  
Old 01-24-2012
Yes...

But what is your computer? What brand, what board, what model, things like that. Sound is hardware-specific.

I don't understand what pulse is supposed to be good for. It just uses alsa, in the end, and just makes alsa harder to use...
# 7  
Old 01-24-2012
[nissanka@localhost ~]$ su root
Password:
[root@localhost nissanka]# lspcidrake -v | fgrep -i AUDIO
snd_hda_intel : VIA Technologies, Inc.|VT1708/A [Azalia HDAC] (VIA High Definition Audio Controller) (vendor:1106 device:3288 subv:1849 subd:0888) (rev: 10)
[root@localhost nissanka]#

[ The above shows the details of sound card, I hope.]
What shall I do?
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

No sound in my Linux

I am not able to run any video file. Getting message something like : no audio facility. Is this may be problem of driver. If so please send me link for the same. I am working on Red Hat Fedora (Linux) (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravisingh
16 Replies

2. OS X (Apple)

Sound under OS 10.4.11 and 10.7.2

There is a change with UnIX version concerning these two platforms. I own a Power G4 Mac with OS 10.4.11 and a Mac Book Pro with Lion OS 10.7.2. There are some problems of compatibilities between the two UNIX versions. Under OS 10.4.11, these three UNIX commands work, in order to produce sounds,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shub22
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sound Device

hi all i have a problem that if i use something like firefox it will grab the sound device and not release it, so i can not use skype is there a command to see what is using the audio device i am using Fedora thaks Adam (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ab52
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

turn off sound

how to disable anoying beep sound??? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nnn
4 Replies

5. Linux

sound driver

i install fedora core 4 but it fail to detect my sound card. my sound card is sigmatel. how can i solve this problem? can i install other sound driver? thx (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: wsc
9 Replies

6. Linux

sound cards

i installed Red Hat Fedora (successfully this time) and my sound card wasnt automticly found or what ever. so how do i get my sound working and stuff? how do i gonfigure the sound card? how do i get it to detect the sound card? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: xcaliber
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Does this sound right?

A user's default permissions when creating new files or directories is set by the umask of either the system or in the startup script of the user itself. For example, I have 'umask 022' in my .profile which means that my default permissions will be 755. Typically, the system default umask is 022,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wmosley2
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sound with Mandrake 9

Howdy all, I have a creative vibra 16 sound card and Mandrake linux 9. I can't seem to get the sound server to run (it comes up with errors). I'm a bit of a linux newb so I'd really appreciate any help on what I have to do to get it working. Thanks! ~ Paul (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KrazyGuyPaul
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sound Problems

Hi All I am having difficulty configuring sound on my system an wonder if anyone can help me. xmms refuses to play telling me that oss_open(): Failed to open audio device (/dev/sound/dsp): No such file or directory what I have done to try and fix this is 1. create /dev/sound/dsp ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: silvaman
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

freeBSD 4.4 sound help please

how do i configure sound on a laptop in FreeBSD 4.4 the laptop is a Green753+ i think the sound is a ess ? can any one help please tryed to make a genric kerl but did not work (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amicrawler
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question