Solaris 8 ???'s

Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers Solaris 8 ???'s
# 1  
Old 05-02-2002
Solaris 8 ???'s

Currently attemting to load Solaris v8 onto a laptop, but having no luck with the display settings. Need to know which video/display settings work for a Compaq Presario 1200xl 325 model...

I am using the default low-res type settings to get a black and white picture with huge icons.

Been to Compaq who said they can't assist with non-factory installed Software. The SUN sites are no help either. Just hoping to find a quick fix... Thanx in advance .
# 2  
Old 05-20-2002
Check the reply on this post. Have a look on the last post, might help.

https://www.unix.com/unix-for-dummies-questions-and-answers/6191-laptop-compatability.html
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

What are the differences between 'bash' and 'sh'

Hopefully this doesn't come off as too much of a "newbie" question or a flamebait. But I have recently begun working with a Sun Solaris box after having spent the past five years working with RedHat. From what i can tell, thing look fairly similar and the 'man' command is some help. But I've... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to remove a file with a leading dash '-' in it's name?

Somehow someone created a file named '-ov' in the root directory. Given the name, the how was probably the result of some cpio command they bozo'ed. I've tried a number of different ways to get rid of it using * and ? wildcards, '\' escape patterns etc.. They all fail with " illegal option --... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GSalisbury
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Application can't startup?? Solaris and Linux RedHat

can someone tell me what could cause an application not to startup? I'm getting calls from users saying they cant' startup a particular application. how do I troubleshoot this? i tried doing ps -ef | grep (application) i saw the application running. now, am wondering, would it be safe to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
1 Replies

4. IP Networking

BELKIN 'F5D5020' 16bit PCMCIA - FreeBSD HOWTO

Hey all, I've bought a few bits from Belkin who seem quite happy to support FreeBSD! Last time I bought a UPS from them and it's still going well :D I saw this on their website that the 16bit PCMCIA card was supported under FreeBSD: http://www.belkin.com/network/F5D5020.html I went to my... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: WIntellect
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

quoting echo 'it's friday'

echo 'it's friday' why appear the > (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Clearify what it means under 'WHAT' when hit the 'w'-command

I wonder how I shall read the result below, especially 'what' shown below. The result was shown when I entered 'w'. E.g what is TOP? What is gosh ( what does selmgr mean?)? login@ idle JCPU PCPU what 6:15am 7:04 39 39 TOP 6:34am 6:45 45 45 TOP 6:41am ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Aelgen
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

where's solaris halt log?

hi folks could tell my anyone where solaris 8 stores the logs about shutdown/halt command. I found no entries in syslog, but there more logs directories. probabaly a stupid question, but fast help would be great! thanks king regards, patrick (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrsaint
6 Replies

8. Programming

i can't use 'make' in my computer?

I need to compile a file,but 'make' does not work.please tell me how to use it or need which tools? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsun5
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What's the difference between Unix, Linux, and Solaris?

If anyone can tell me the difference between the three or where I can find more info I would appreciated it. I see alot of companies looking for people with knowledge in Unix but every time I try to find information about it I see Linux instead. Is there a market trend in these operating... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ITmommy
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why can't we buy Solaris 8 at CompUSA?

I was just on Suns website and found that you can actually download Solaris 8 and not have to pay the licensing fee. You can also purchase the OS on CD's for $75.00. It seems also that Gnome 1.4 is supported too on Solaris 8 which would make the OS as easy to use as any Linux Distribution. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brianfreer
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question