Problem run script inside a gnome-terminal

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem run script inside a gnome-terminal
# 1  
Old 06-22-2012
Problem run script inside a gnome-terminal

hi,

I would like to ask about using gnome-terminal command, I had a script that will run my VBOX VM in headless and i want to display the output(STDOUT) on the gnome-terminal window. The purpose that i want to display the STDOUT of the script cause i will used it or create a desktop shortcut for one click start all and want a visual display of the script running all the VM's for confirmation. The script works fine when i used in terminal. It failed to run the Script if i will used the "gnome-terminal -e" command. "Its like it runs all the command inside the script and STDOUT it on gnome-terminal window that pop-up and as soon as the script exit all the command inside the script will abort or simple the VM state will abort or stop running"already try all the option on gnome-terminal but unsuccesfull. Here are some i tried:
Code:
gnome-termial -e "bash /home/<location_script>/startvm.bsh" 
gnome-termial -e "/home/<location_script>/startvm.bsh

i also used --working-directory, profile i guess all argument in gnome-terminal.

My goal would be run all the command inside the script and if the script exit and also the gnome-terminal exit all the command inside the script won't be affected.

Hope someone knows something..

Thanks in advance..

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 06-22-2012 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: code tags instead of quote tags
# 2  
Old 06-22-2012
So you want the command to run, and then once the command finishes, drop to a shell?

That works when you type it because it doesn't hit EOF once startvm.bsh finishes -- there's already another shell running, waiting for the keyboard. But when you run it as a command, your program is the only thing running. It hits a very literal 'end of file', decides its time to quit, and when it does there's absolutely nothing left running at all -- causing the terminal to quit.

If you want it to run another shell after, tell it to run another shell after. Smilie

How about this?
Code:
gnome-terminal -x /bin/bash -c "/home/<location_script>/startvm.bsh ; exec /bin/bash"

A miniature shell-script on the commandline itself, telling it to run startvm.bsh first, then start a plain shell afterwards.
# 3  
Old 06-22-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
So you want the command to run, and then once the command finishes, drop to a shell?

That works when you type it because it doesn't hit EOF once startvm.bsh finishes -- there's already another shell running, waiting for the keyboard. But when you run it as a command, your program is the only thing running. It hits a very literal 'end of file', decides its time to quit, and when it does there's absolutely nothing left running at all -- causing the terminal to quit.

If you want it to run another shell after, tell it to run another shell after. Smilie

How about this?
Code:
gnome-terminal -x /bin/bash -c "/home/<location_script>/startvm.bsh ; exec /bin/bash"

A miniature shell-script on the commandline itself, telling it to run startvm.bsh first, then start a plain shell afterwards.
Thanks @corona688: I mean run gnome-terminal command which pop-up a gnome-terminal window. run & display the STDOUT of the startvm.bsh on the pop-up gnome-terminal for the purpose of displaying if command "vboxheadless ..." succesfully executed the VM then exit the script and then close the gnome-terminal window. Close all window(gnome-terminal) or shell etc. after displaying the STDOUT of the script but not affecting the command the script execute.

I already tried the command you give and succesfully powerof the vm and gnome-terminal won't close since another bash shell holding it. But as soon as the gnome-terminal close the same as the VM.(Its like sending a close signal to the command they executed before). I already tried putting "&" to background command but still no success.
# 4  
Old 06-22-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jao_madn
I already tried the command you give and succesfully powerof the vm and gnome-terminal won't close since another bash shell holding it. But as soon as the gnome-terminal close the same as the VM.(Its like sending a close signal to the command they executed before).
It's not sending a 'close command', just informing it that whatever ran it is finished. It takes that to mean it has nothing left to do, and quits.
Quote:
I already tried putting "&" to background command but still no success.
Naturally, since it would believe it's done immediately...

A shell script that waits forever once gnome-terminal quits:
Code:
/bin/bash -c "gnome-terminal -x /home/<location_script>/startvm.bsh ; while true ; do sleep 1000 ; done"

# 5  
Old 06-22-2012
I tried to create a shorcut and put this command and works.
Quote:
bash /home/<location_script>/startvm.bsh
But i want to display the output of the /home/<location_script>/startvm.bsh

Is there any possible way to work this around. I like the terminal display window style.
# 6  
Old 06-22-2012
Did you try the solution I gave you last post? If it didn't work, in what way did it not work?

Quote:
A shell script that waits forever once gnome-terminal quits:
Code:
/bin/bash -c "gnome-terminal -x /home/<location_script>/startvm.bsh ; while true ; do sleep 1000 ; done"

# 7  
Old 06-22-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
Did you try the solution I gave you last post? If it didn't work, in what way did it not work?
@Corona688: I tried the command
Quote:
But still the same problem. The gnome-terminal closes along with it the startvm.bsh.

Addition Info: Im comfused right now since the command above will loop forever in the terminal where i execute the command. therefore the VM must still power-on but why its poweroff after the gnome-terminal or maybe the script exit.I short even "/bin/bash -c *******" terminal up and running or put it to background "/bin/bash -c ******* & " still vm poweroff. As if the gnome-terminal or maybe the script dies it dies also the command inside the script "vboxheadless".
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run script in new terminal

Hi Guys, I have a script that runs certain simulations in batch mode. I need to schedule some simulations to run over night. For each simulation to complete it should be run in separate terminal. My script is as follows sh run_test.sh <arg1> <arg2> <arg3> ... I need to launch this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aelhosiny
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Open gnome-terminal with multi tabs and automatically run a script in each tab

Hi All , i am trying to create an alias to open a new gnome-terminal and run some commands in each tab & to have a specific name for each tab i am using csh , tried this command gnome-terminal --tab -t "s1" --tab -t "s2" --tab -t "s3" --tab -t "s4" it opened 4 tabs but the title didn't... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Assem
0 Replies

3. Linux

How to open a gnome-terminal in specific workspace and run script within it automatically upon login

OK this is a bit messy. I run Fedora with gnome on a compiz desktop, I have a script (userstart) that opens my 'standard' environment for all my machines when I login. userstart flips to a specific workspace and then opens the required applications in that workspace then flips to the next... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashingaway
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to run a command in a new terminal

Hey, I am trying to write a script that will open all of my session windows, and then secure shell into the appropriate server in the new windows. Seems simple, but I cant get it to work! Please help! :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sojo1024
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run bash script without terminal

How can I make a bash script that keeps on running after I have closed the terminal? Or a script that runs without having the terminal window open? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: locoroco
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is command line invocation of gnome-terminal to run more than one command possible?

Hello, I am trying to learn how to pass something more than a one-command startup for gnome-terminal. I will give an example of what I'm trying to do here: #! /bin/bash # #TODO write this for gnome and xterm USAGE=" ______________________________________________ ${0##*/} run... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Narnie
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Set terminal width inside a shell script

Hi all, I have a shell script which uses "mailx -H" to get the subject of a email in a Linux system. However, the subject is truncated, and I think it has something to do with the terminal width because it only returns the first 80 characters of each line. I have tried "stty columns"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mezzo
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem - gnome terminal shell scripting

I've a python script named rwe.py. I'm running the program in three separate terminals. If one of the executing program stops . I want to leave the terminal as it is so that i can see the error. i wrote a the below script and used cron to run it every one hour to check if the three programs are... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: msteve2002
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with gnome-terminal

Hello everyone. This is my first post.:o Using Ubuntu 8.04 and bash 3.2.39 i'm trying to adapt my routine to this platform. So, this means forget xterm and use gnome-terminal (as default ubuntu terminal). EveryDay i need to connect to several servers, and i've made a Tcl'script to make this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trutoman
1 Replies

10. Linux

run script through terminal

for all friends i am using linux enterprise 4. i installed oracle 10g in user name oracle.at the end of install i got a pop up window saying that u should run the following scripts(root.sh,orainstRoot.sh) in terminal from root account(cui) without log out oracle account . how i can run these... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sadiquep
5 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question