Removing a user that doesnt exist from a group

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Removing a user that doesnt exist from a group
# 1  
Old 07-26-2011
Removing a user that doesnt exist from a group

Hi there, normally if I want to remove a user tht I have added to a specific group, i would do the following

this is what my group2 looks like

Code:
# grep group2 /etc/group
group2:x:7777:user2,user1,user4

user1 has been defined in a few groups

Code:
# id -nG user1
group1 group2 group3

So this is the situation, on a large number of boxes, some local accounts (like user1) have been removed manually from the passwd/shadow files. This subsequently does not clean up the groups that the user may have been in

As far as i understand, to remove a user from a group, I need to define (using usermod) the groups it is a member of and it will go and remove from all those that I havent defined

so to remove the user from group2, issue the command:

Code:
# usermod -G group1,group3 user1

However, because the user doesnt exist i get

id: user1: No such user

Is there any way I can use a utility to clean this up or will I have to hack the file ?

any help would be greatly appreciated
# 2  
Old 07-26-2011
Hi,

Test if next command can be useful for you:
Code:
$ gpasswd -d user group

Regards,
Birei
# 3  
Old 07-26-2011
Methinks that running the unix commands "pwck" and "grpck" before you start would be wise.

Quote:
so to remove the user from group2, issue the command:
Code:
# usermod -G group1,group3 user1
This command is incorrect. The "-G" defines the primary group. A user cannot have more than one primary group. This is academic anyway because the user has been removed "manually" from /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow therefore cannot be referred to by name (hence the error message).

Where relevant to your Operating System be sure that the "pwconv" command was run after a manual edit to /etc/passwd (which used "vipw" not "vi" we hope).

As no command now can refer to the deleted users by name the only possible repair is to use an editor to repair the Group file.
Obviously copy the /etc/group file before editing the file and use the unix command "grpck" before and after to check the Group file for inconsistencies.

Last edited by methyl; 07-26-2011 at 08:34 PM.. Reason: assorted typos and additions
# 4  
Old 07-28-2011
thanks all, the gpasswd command worked perfectly and methyl, thanks, you are right i should run pwck and grpck before hand, however you are wrong about the 'usermod -G' command above as that works perfectly well. I believe -G is for suplimentary groups not primary so all is good. The man page confirms this ...

Code:

-G, --groups GROUP1[,GROUP2,...[,GROUPN]]]
  A list of supplementary groups which the user is also a member of. Each group is separated from the next by a comma .............

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Homework & Coursework Questions

Group Doesn't Exist

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I'm able to create a group but when I'm trying to delete the group it keeps stating Group Doesn't Exist. I know... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GoBoyGo
2 Replies

2. Red Hat

User is a Part of a Group But Group Details Do Not Show the User

Hi, In the following output you can see the the user "richard" is a member on the team/group "developers": # id richard uid=10247(richard) gid=100361(developers) groups=100361(developers),10053(testers) but in the following details of the said group (developers), the said user... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: indiansoil
3 Replies

3. Red Hat

Removing LVM Volume Group that doesn't exist anymore

Our SAN administrator decided to unpresent then destroy LUN's we were actively using as a volume group (all PV's in said volume group). Now every time I do a pvscan or whatever it complains about I/O errors trying to access those PV's. How do I get it to forget the VG existed completely? vgreduce... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: thmnetwork
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Code to remove files when corresponding file doesnt exist isnt working.

I am trying to add some code to the begging of a script so that it will remove all the .transcript files, when their is no coressponding .wav file. But it doesnt work. This is the code I have added: for transcriptfile in `$voicemaildir/*.transcript`; do wavfile=`echo $transcriptfile | cut -d'.'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghurty
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Group Exist Scripting

Hey People, I've got a question! How can i write a function in a script which is looking for if a group exist and if not, that the group "users" is the standard group..I know that i have to use "grep" und "if-else"..I will be very happy for answers ;) Greetz Ali (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AliC
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing Lines if value exist in first file

I tried a few ways to resolve this using a bash script w/ a loop, no luck. File1: roughly 6,000 account numbers such as: 1111 1512 1113 123 I also have a dozen or so csv files, w/ the account number in the 4th field. What I would like to do is remove all lines if the... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: svn
19 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check file and if it doesnt exist , exit script

Hi, Another problem, here is my code #!/bin/sh dir='/opt/apps/script/CSV' datadir='/opt/apps/script/data' while : ; do ls -1rt $dir/*.csv > /dev/null 2>&1 if ;then cp $datadir/weekly.txt $dir/weekly.csv else exit 0 fi done (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: tententen
10 Replies

8. Red Hat

trying to use arp command... it doesnt exist

im trying to get an ARP readout using the command 'arp -a'... but the command doesnt exist in Fedora Core 6 - IPv6.... is there an equivalent command? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: HMSS013
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Validate if user and group exist

I'm kinda new to unix programming so bear with me... I'm running a script prompting a user for an existing user and group and want to be able to validate if they valid. Is there any code available? Any help or push in the right direction would help. Thank you, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thedon
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Removing the only secodnary group existed from a user on SUN or HP

I want to know the command line to removed the only secondary group existed from a user on an HP/SUN. :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jquizon62
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question