CentOS, Fedora & RedHat in 1 box

Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu CentOS, Fedora & RedHat in 1 box
# 1  
Old 08-23-2006
CPU & Memory CentOS, Fedora & RedHat in 1 box

Hi Linux gurus,

My boss had asked me to setup a box consisting of this 3 OS (CentOS, Fedora, RedHat) for autopatching. So, whenever there is new patches for CentOS from the internet, this box will grab it, implement it, if tested ok and approved, the patches will then be push to Production CentOS boxes. The same goes for Fedora & RedHat.

My question would be:

1. Is this possible for 3 Linux to be put in 1 box?
2. How the partitioning would be like?
3. Is there a link where i can read thru for this kind of setup?
4. Will all the OS be running simultaneously or one at a time?

Thank you in advance

~RaYbAkH~
# 2  
Old 08-23-2006
Yes, I don't see why not. As for how the partitions would be laid out, that depends on...how you want your partitions laid out.

The bare minimum, as I see it:
  • /dev/hda1 -- 200mb of ext2 to hold kernels and grub settings.
  • /dev/hda2 -- 512mb, swap space. They can all use the same swap.
  • /dev/hda3 -- A couple gigs of ext3 for common space. Mount it on something like /opt/shared for all three distros, so you can dump a file there in one distro, reboot into another distro, and still have that file.
  • /dev/hda4 -- All remaining space, as an extended partition.
  • /dev/hda5 -- First partition in extended partition. Holds root partition for Distro #1.
  • /dev/hda6 -- Second partition in extended partition. Holds root partition for Distro #2.
  • /dev/hda7 -- Third partition in extended partition. Holds root partition for Distro #3.

grub.conf for this monster is going to look something like:
Code:
title=Centos
kernel (hd0,0)/centos/kernel-2.6.12-r10 root=/dev/hda5

title=Fedora
kernel (hd0,0)/centos/kernel-2.6.12-r10 root=/dev/hda6

title=Redhat
kernel (hd0,0)/centos/kernel-2.6.12-r10 root=/dev/hda7

Even better would be three seperate boot partitions, one for each distro, but that'd mean booting from an extended partition, and I'm not sure how much grub likes that.

Finding a guide for this is unlikely imho, as it'd have to be written by someone who's mastered the same versions of all three distros of interest. You're going to have fun getting all of them to install where you want them.

Of course, if you're going to want multiple boot partitions for each and every distro, things are going to get more complicated.
# 3  
Old 08-24-2006
Computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688

The bare minimum, as I see it:
  • /dev/hda1 -- 200mb of ext2 to hold kernels and grub settings.
  • /dev/hda2 -- 512mb, swap space. They can all use the same swap.
  • /dev/hda3 -- A couple gigs of ext3 for common space. Mount it on something like /opt/shared for all three distros, so you can dump a file there in one distro, reboot into another distro, and still have that file.
  • /dev/hda4 -- All remaining space, as an extended partition.
  • /dev/hda5 -- First partition in extended partition. Holds root partition for Distro #1.
  • /dev/hda6 -- Second partition in extended partition. Holds root partition for Distro #2.
  • /dev/hda7 -- Third partition in extended partition. Holds root partition for Distro #3.
Thanx Corona688 for the info.

So, i'll be doing this --> CentOS = /dev/hda5
Fedora = /dev/hda6
Redhat = /dev/hda7

Seems like 'fun' in hell. Gonna update u guys as i go along the installation. I wonder if all distro can be up 1 at a time until all 3 are running or 2 down and 1 up? Any advice?
# 4  
Old 08-24-2006
You can only have one Linux running at a time.
You are going to need 3 different boxes to do this.

I have to say, from the getgo, this doesn't sound like a good idea.
Are all your boxes exaclty the same, i.e., same OS version, hardware, running the exact same applications?
# 5  
Old 08-24-2006
I think Corona688 meant that grub.conf would be something like:
Code:
title Centos
kernel (hd0,0)/centos/kernel-2.6.12-r10 root=/dev/hda5

title Fedora
kernel (hd0,0)/fedora/kernel-2.6.12-r10 root=/dev/hda6

title Redhat
kernel (hd0,0)/redhat/kernel-2.6.12-r10 root=/dev/hda7

You will need a subdirectory for each distro so that each can have its own kernel. Remember that the extended partition is broken into logical partitions. You can put anything into logical partitions. As long as grub stage1 is installed in the MBR and stage 1.5 is installed in the hidden sectors, stage 2 can be anywhere. I even created a tiny (logical) partition at the very end of a 100 GB and booted from that.
# 6  
Old 08-24-2006
So perderabo,

A collegue of mine have Linux & Windows in his notebook (in which the 60GB are split into 2). He also are able to log into both OS by pressing certain key (in which he is reluctant to teach). Could this be done here; where CentOS, Fedora & Redhat can be access simultaneously.

Nope system shock,
Im gonna try to implement this on 1 box first. if it seems a lot of hassle and time to administer, then i'll propose to my boss to buy another 2 box. (he's trying to cut the cost low and hopefully raise my salary..haha).
# 7  
Old 08-24-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by System Shock
You can only have one Linux running at a time.
You are going to need 3 different boxes to do this.
So? You can still have 3 distros on one box, they just can't all run at the same time.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Centos/Redhat 7 - Team or Bond

Hello my dears, I preparing system running linux. I found that team is advantage than bond with the option "load-balancing for LACP support" and some minor advantages. 8.3. Comparison of Network Teaming to Bonding - Red Hat Customer Portal. But what exactly meaning of this option I don't... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tien86
1 Replies

2. Red Hat

Hack a centos Linux box

HI, I have a Centos linux box and there is interface connect to internet. I stop the iptables in this box . After a few day , I find the linux box have been hacked and install some perl script into the box . Could anyone tell me how the hacker can login into the centos box without knowing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chuikingman
1 Replies

3. Red Hat

How to access redhat Linux box graphically from windows box?

Hi I have a linux box and need to access from windows graphically # uname -a Linux pc-l416116 2.6.18-155.el5 #1 SMP Fri Jun 19 17:06:47 EDT 2009 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux What components do I need to install on Linux and windows to do that? TIA (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: magnus29
6 Replies

4. IP Networking

RedHat/Centos Disable IPv6 Networking

Guide on how to disable ipv6 for Centos and RedHat 1) Edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and change: NETWORKING_IPV6=yes to NETWORKING_IPV6=no 2) Edit /etc/modprobe.conf and add these lines: alias net-pf-10 off alias ipv6 off 3) Stop the ipv6tables service: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: zanna91
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Centos 5.8 and RedHat 5.3 terminals strange behaviour

Hello, I have following problem. I have Centos 5.8 ( Final ) on Virtual Box. I noticed very strange behavior of the terminals when resizing them. My default shell is tcsh . Let's assume that we have trial script try.csh with text in it: #! /bin/tcsh -f # Trial script echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tyanata
4 Replies

6. Red Hat

Fedora vs Redhat

Hi, can i say technically there is no difference in: package management (installation/removal/updating) commands between redhat and fedora? in redhat if I am not a official subscriber, I can never do commands like: yum search/update/install... unless I have the license how does... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: messi777
4 Replies

7. Red Hat

wmii on redhat/fedora

Hi, I want to install the wmii window manager on my redhat. is there any package for it? anybody has any idea? I googled it but did not find a good answer. thanks. Double post, continued here (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: messi777
0 Replies

8. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

Installing CentOS 5.5 on Virtual Box

Hi, I have installed VirtualBox, downloaded CentOS 5.5 and created a VirtualMachine where i have installed the 'server' versión of CentOS 5.5 As I installed Virtual Box a new network device appeared '192.16.1.250' in my 'real' machine. I was unable to reach my webserver so i istalled CentOS once... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: motoko
5 Replies

9. Linux

Problem with CRONTAB on Fedora and CentOS

Hello, Can anyone please explain HOW Crontab i.e. job scheduling daemon works in Fedora and CentOS or any Linux platform(Ubuntu).... What are the points that i have to take care of if have to include a script to be run at a specific scheduled time. URGENT reply requested. Please help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vabiosis
1 Replies

10. Red Hat

convert centos 5.2 to Fedora 10

i need to convert my centos 5.2 to fedora 10 with no losing data . !! but how ? can someone help !!? cheers Chang-Lee (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chang-lee
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question