How to delete a file with special characters

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to delete a file with special characters
# 1  
Old 04-12-2006
How to delete a file with special characters

I don't now exactly how I did it, but I created a file named " -C "

cexdi:/home1 $ls -lt
total 1801336
-rw------- 1 cexdi ced-group 922275840 23 mars 10:03 -C

How do I delete this file ?

cexdi:/home1 $rm -C
rm: invalid option -- C
Syntax : rm [-Rfir] filename ...

Doesn't work... I'm stuck.
# 2  
Old 04-12-2006
Found it.

bash-3.00# mkdir tata
bash-3.00# cd tata
bash-3.00# rm ../"-C"
# 3  
Old 04-12-2006
many ways of doing it,

1) give the full path and delete
2) find the inode no and delete through that
3) rm \-C
# 4  
Old 04-12-2006
Long way.

Do a rm -i. This will prompt you 1 file at a time.

Works good if dirs are small or your scared of what might happen.

-X
# 5  
Old 08-14-2007
two very ways to do this:

1.) rm -- -r
2.) rm ./-r

Beauty lies in Simplicity!!!!!!
# 6  
Old 08-22-2007
You can delete filename with full path

let me see

rm <filename_path> <filename>

or
rm <filename_path> *-C

Regards,
Siva.P
Bangalore

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need help to delete special characters exists only at the end of the each record in UNIX file?

Hi, I have a file in unix with 15 columns.It consists special characters(#,$,^M,@,*,% etc)at the end of the each record.I want to remove these special characters.I used the following: Sed -e 's/ /g;s/ */ /g' . But It is removing special characters exists everywhere in the file(begining,middle... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshp
24 Replies

2. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Rename File Name with Special Characters

I am trying to rename files with spaces and other characters and not able to be successful. FileNames: UPLOAD REFERENCE.xls UPLOAD MASS REFERENCE.XLS find /UPLOAD REFERENCE/ -depth -type f -name "* *" -exec rename " " "_" "{}" ";" The above one is successful to replace spaces... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eskay
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete special characters

My sed is not working on deleting the entire special characters and leaving what is necessary.grep connections_per a|sed -e 's/\<\!\-\-//g' INPUT: <!-- <connections_per_instance>1</connections_per_instance> --> <method>HALF</method> <!--... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing a file containing special characters

I want to parse a file containing special characters, below is a sample content of file content of file : Serial_no:1$$@#first_name:Rahane$$@last_name:Ajiyenke@@#profession:cricketer!@#*&^ Serial_no:1$$@#first_name:Rahane$$@last_name:Ajiyenke@@#profession:cricketer!@#*&^... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajMjar
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Naming file with special characters ?

Hi all, I have a problem with file naming in linux. I have to create a file named like 11/22.csv but shell displays error: no such file or dir. Problem is / character in the file name. I searched unix linux naming concepts and it's restricted in OS. Please tell me if there's any other chance? OS... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sembii
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

File containing special characters

Hello All, I am facing challenges in order to transfer a file from windows to unix box,the file contains a special character '×' ,now when I am transferring the file from windows to unix that special character converted to something else like 'Ã' ,another thing I have noticed that the hardware is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prarat
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to delete special characters from the file content

Hello Team, Any one suggest how to delte the below special character from a file which is having one column 10 rows of same below content. ---------------------------------------- Kosten|bersicht gemd_ ' =Welche Kosten kvnnen... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanakaraju
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed delete pattern with special characters

Hi all, I have the following lines <b>A gtwrhwrthwr text hghthwrhtwrtw </b><font color='#06C'>; text text (text) <b>B gtwrhwrthwr text hghthwrhtwrtw </b><font color='#06C'>; text text (text) <b>J gtwrhwrthwr text hghthwrhtwrtw </b><font color='#06C'>; text text (text) and I would like to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: stinkefisch
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace Special characters in a file

Hi, I have a data like this in a file, 402003279034002000100147626030003300010000000000002000029000000 ær^M^\MÍW^H I need to replace those special char to some other char like # or $ Is there any ways to do it... I tried commands tr,sed and many but it was not able to replace because... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solai
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to see special characters in a file using vi

Hi, I have a file which has special characters. I can't see them when I "vi" the file. But I am sure there are some special un seen characters. How can I see them? Please help. Thx (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jingi1234
6 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question