to delete an invalid file

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers to delete an invalid file
# 1  
Old 06-24-2010
to delete an invalid file

there is a file is generated from my program due to undefined filename.

-rw-r--r-- 1 angie angie 8644055 Jun 22 09:17 Ô$ÿÿÿÿÿÆ

may i know how to delete this file..??? thanks in advance... Smilie
# 2  
Old 06-24-2010
If there is not more files containing a dollar symbol in their names in that directory, you could try:
Code:
rm *\$*

# 3  
Old 06-24-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaxxon
If there is not more files containing a dollar symbol in their names in that directory, you could try:
Code:
rm *\$*

just to be extra paranoid:
Code:
\rm -i *\$*

# 4  
Old 06-24-2010
First thing I would try is to delete the file by inode number.

Example:
Code:
find . -inum 12345 -exec rm -i {} \;

# 5  
Old 06-24-2010
Code:
rm 'Ô$ÿÿÿÿÿÆ'

Smilie
# 6  
Old 06-24-2010
wow.. it has been deleted. thank you guys in giving solutions...! very appreciate it!! Smilie

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search for the invalid url in a file

Hello guys, Here i am writing a script to check for a valid url from a file,i am getting the valid url & i print it in a file and i want to print the invalid url also.how to do that? #here is my script if then URL=$(grep -E -o... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meeran Rizvi
2 Replies

2. AIX

/tmp/man18809436: Invalid file system control data detected

/tmp/man18809436: Invalid file system control data detected Help me what do I do? Если знаете русскии, пишите на нем. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: islily
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the Invalid records from a file using awk?

My Input file is fixed length record ends with . as end of the line and the character length is 4156 Example: 12234XYZ TY^4253$+00000-00000........... I need to check is there any control characters(like ^M,^Z) The line will be splitted awk '{id=substr($0,1,5) nm=substr($0,6,3)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dineshaila
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To get the invalid characters from a file

Hello, Can any one help me in below query to search all the invalid characters that UNIX cannot recognize from a file. can we do anything with the help of grep command or any other commands. Also, i am not sure what are the invalid characters present in the file. Many thanks in advance. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: schandru
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Valid and invalid date in the file

Hi All, How to validate the 4th column,it is date column in the file, if it valid move to valid file else moved invalid file. 9f680174-cb87|20077337254|0|20120511|N 9f680174-cb88|20077337254|0|20120534|N i want two file valid.txt and invalid.txt Thanks, (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmk
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find invalid URL in a text file using shell script?

How to find and remove invalid URLs in a text file using shell script? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove invalid database characters on a file

Hi All - I'm building a script wherein it is design to remove characters that are not accepted on a non-unicode database. Examples are the following: ï,¿,½,Â,é, etc. I can easily sed those characters one-by-one but I there's a problem when other unicode characters are found. Is there any way to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jin_
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing the invalid records to error file

HI, I have a source file which has the below data. Tableid,table.txt sourceid,1,2,3,4,5,6 targetid,1,2,3,4,5,6 Tableid,table sourceid,1,2,3,4,5,6 targetid,1,2,3,4,5,6 Tableid,table.txt sourceid,1,2,3,4,5,6 targetid,1,2,3,4,5,6 Tableid,table sourceid,1,2,3,4,5,6 targetid,1,2,3,4,5,6... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shruthidwh
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Invalid Characters in the file.

I am working on AIX. We ftp files to a database. The flat files are having thousands of records and each record is having some 50 to 60 characters(there are fields having certain character length). In addition to some valid ascii characters some invalid characters like Å, å, Ä, ä or pipes creep in which... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanu_pathak
15 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Invalid Characters in the file.

I am working on AIX. We ftp files to a database. The flat files are having thousands of records and each record is having some 50 to 60 characters(there are fields having certain character length). In addition to some valid ascii characters some invalid characters like Å, å, Ä, ä or pipes creep in which... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanu_pathak
5 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question