UNIX community...help your Mac brother!

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers UNIX community...help your Mac brother!
# 1  
Old 12-02-2000
Question

Hello,

I have been a Macintosh user for many, many years. As you may know the latest MacOS ( OS X ) is UNIX based. (Please see http://www.apple.com/macosx/technologies/inside.html for more information.) Basically, I really have no idea where to start with UNIX...if anyone could take a quick look at the above link and tell me what I need to look into so that I may use this new OS to its fullest potential.

I have heard so much good stuff about UNIX users (especially the part about not getting into wars about who's operating system is the best...I guess you already know...) and would be proud to join.

Thank you all,
Mark

PS At an old job (NORTEL) I used what may have been a type of UNIX...it was called QNX so maybe that will help. Of course NORTEL moved over to Windows and things really went into the crapper!!! Smilie
# 2  
Old 12-02-2000
MySQL

Interesting. Thanks for the link. I'm sure our members will enjoy looking at a UNIX/Mach/BSDLite based Mac OS.
# 3  
Old 12-03-2000
macosx

A friend of mine who uses Mac has installed the uinix version, and opened his firewall for me.
So I logged on and was very impressed to navigate in the unix filesystem of a mac.
It really is cool, and recommanded for anyone who uses mac.

Just wanted to welcome you aboard too!

I'm sure you're gonna like Unix , and ask us whatever question you have about it.

Hezki
# 4  
Old 12-03-2000
Thanks all

I guess I just have to get started...should I get UNIX for Dummies...or Linux for Dummies. Is there a web page explaining the pros and cons and differences of SuSe/Red Hat/Yellow Dog/MacOS/Whatever versions of Linux?
# 5  
Old 12-04-2000
Check here: http://www.daemonnews.org/200011/osx-daemon.html
for an article reviewing some of the details of the new Unix based Mac OS. It talks about the differences between a "traditional" Unix, and between a "traditional" Mac, etc.
# 6  
Old 12-22-2000
# 7  
Old 11-27-2002
Start up

Is it possible to start up just in the terminal in OS X insted of the mac gui?

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. What is on Your Mind?

How Much Vacation Do You Take? | UNIX.com Community | Annual Vacation (YouTube)

Here is another simple YT video co-produced with our video partner. How Much Vacation Do You Take? | UNIX.com Community | Annual Vacation https://youtu.be/MSy553qS654 Background sound track is called "Caribbean Paradise" Sounds like something wisecracker would have played in one... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

2. AIX

Big Brother

Have anyone heard of "Big Brother"? This is a tool to monitor system with GUI screen and ease system administration work. It can show you whether the system have CPU more than threshold by showing a green light or red light.. You can set any checking so that it will assist to monitor and show you... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kwliew999
8 Replies

3. AIX

big brother monitoring tool - make failed

Hi, Does anyone has installed bb on a unix system ? I am trying to install bb on aix 5.3 but I have the following message: If someone can help me probably there is a tool that I need to install ? I don't have C compiler I install gcc instead and gcc++ etc ... bb:/home/bb/bb1.9g-btf/src/ $ make... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: touny
0 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question