Copying!

Top Forums Programming Copying!
# 1  
Old 08-27-2007
Copying!

Can anybody point out the difference between shallow copying, deep copying and bitwise copying in C++?
# 2  
Old 08-27-2007
The terms "deep copy" and "shallow copy" refer to the way objects are copied, for example, during the invocation of a copy constructor or assignment operator. In a deep copy (also called "memberwise copy"), the copy operation respects object semantics. For example, copying an object that has a member of type std::string ensures that the corresponding std::string in the target object is copy-constructed by the copy constructor of class std::string.

class A
{
string s;
};
A a;
A b;
a=b; //deep copy

When assigning b to a, the compiler-generated assignment operator of class A first invokes the assignment operator of class std::string. Thus, a.s and b.s are well-defined, and they are probably not binary-identical. On the other hand, a shallow copy (also called "bitwise copy") simply copies chunks of memory from one location to another. A memcpy() operation is an example of a shallow copy. Because memcpy() does not respect object semantics, it will not invoke the copy constructor of an object. Therefore, you should never use memcpy() to copy objects. Use it only when copying POD (Plain Old Data) types: ints, floating point numbers, and dumb structs.
# 3  
Old 08-27-2007
Thanks

Thanks for the reply Vishal!
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in copying the file once

hi all , i had a following problem in my script filename=oas/data/output.txt printf"content1" >> $filename printf"content2" >> $filename printf"content3" >> $filename printf"content4" >> $filename printf"content5" >> $filename printf"content6" >> $filename my contents are different... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemanthsaikumar
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

copying with a certain extension

trying to copy all the files without extension then add "*.txt" but its not working is there any other way and i do not want to use cpio -vdump just want to use copy command FROM=/usr/share/doc TO=/aleza/doc #the follow function copies all the files without extensions call(){ cd $FROM... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: elginmulizwa
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying only the file name

Hi I just want to copy the file name from the input file. Below is the code I have used but the answer comes with quotation . $ cat test.sh file_name=\'$1\' echo $file_name $ sh test.sh grants.dat 'grants.dat' How do I remove the quotation Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Krishnaramjis
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please, I need help with copying a file.

Hello. I don't know much about UNIX. Here is a problem I need to resolve. There is a file "file1.txt". It contains the line "End Of Copy" somewhere in the middle. I need to copy file1.txt to another file, "file2.txt" until this line. So, if the "file1.txt" is Line 1 Line 2 Line 3... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Eugene
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Copying Files and

I am new user to solaris and installed solaris operating system on full Harddisk 120Gb. I am unable to copy music files to desktop and /home directory. One thing happened while registering is- i entered login-root and its password. The message prompted your system is crashed. Is it because of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: patilmukundraj
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copying file

is there anyway to copy a file which i don't have permission? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dakid
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copying a file to another

hi group... needed some help regarding this requirement actually we have a set of zip files in a server we have two types of zip files one as usual .zip extension and one with .zip_m extension... we need to copy the files from .zip_m extension to .zip extension with same file name ... it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhu_aqua14
2 Replies

8. Programming

copying a file

hello, i have to copy a file from one directory to another directory in linux. how to do this using a c function? kindly ans to my query. thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: svh
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copying

I am using AIX version 5.1 I would like to copy my log files to another directory and timestamp them or add the date to the file name so I can distinguish them apart and keep 4weeks of files in this directory. so I usally do this cp rptlog /dump/backup.log.files I would like the the file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocker40
5 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question