How to avoid historying my command

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to avoid historying my command
# 1  
Old 05-05-2006
How to avoid historying my command

Dear all,

Normally unix automatically record up to 500 the command lines whatever I put in. Does anyone knows how I can avoid this record, in another word, I dont want system remember what I typed in

thanks
# 2  
Old 05-05-2006
ln -s histfile /dev/null
# 3  
Old 05-06-2006
confused

ln -s .bash_history /dev/null
this should make a symbolic link of .bash_history with /dev/null
and i know that data written to /dev/null is discarded without comment.

i tried this command but the shell complains that
"file exists".so what could be the reason.

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Avoid running unnecessary repetitive ps command

i have the following code: APIDS=$(echo $(ps -ef | awk -v gpid="${gpid}" '$2 == gpid || $3 == gpid {print $2,$3}') | sed 's~ ~|~g') AllProcs=$(ps -ef | awk -v allpids="${APIDS}" '$2 ~ allpids || $3 ~ allpids {print $0}' | sed '/^$/d') it seems the above... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to avoid arguments inside Nawk command?

Hi, Here is my command print $2 was meant to select the second column however, it is getting substituted with the second argument that was passed to the script. Can you please tell me how can I resolve this ? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to avoid error with ln command?

mkdir logs mkdir: Failed to make directory "logs"; File existsTo avoid this error i use the -p argument so it creates a folder only if it is does not exists like you see below. mkdir -p logs In the similar manner i wish to avoid this error with ln command ln -s /tmp/myfolder var ln: cannot... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to avoid "Too many arguments" error, when passing a long String literal as input to a command?

Hi, I am using awk here. Inside an awk script, I have a variable which contains a very long XML data in string format (500kb). I want to pass this data (as argument) to curl command using system function. But getting Too many arguments error due to length of string data(payloadBlock). I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cool.aquarian
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to avoid the spaces?

Hi I have a script which runs the isql command and takes the output in a xls file. Is there a way to trim the spaces(leading and trailing) from all the values in the column of the xls sheet? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sharma331
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to avoid new line

Hi, I am having multiple echo statements to print output echo "$VAr" echo "$lenght" echo "$sum" I get the output as 12 24 36 I need the output to be 12 24 36. How do i arrive at this. Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krashraj
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to avoid time command output

Hi, I have 2 queries 1 .when I run some unix command, I am getting the output of "time" at std output (screen) for eg zegrep <pattern> *.v.gz I almost found the reason but not sure, if the no of files matching *.v.gz is more then I am getting the time command output at the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: selvaka
5 Replies

8. Solaris

Any way to avoid these errors?

Hello, this is solaris 10 on SF v440, I know below errors might go away if I put a new PS or put the original one back in socket but is there any other way to stop these errors from appearing in /var/adm/messages ? I do not want to put the failed PS1 in socket neither do we want to spend on... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: upengan78
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to avoid loops

Hi... I need a help in using the awk command or any other solution to avoid the usage of loops. My question is : I have a input like this : field1|field2|field3|field4|field5|field6|field7|field8|field9 ex : 4000|testing|scenario|14450|500|320|450|200|100 where the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijayarajvp
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can I avoid the standard output from kill command

I am sending a kill comand to kill a process inside a SH script but I don`t want the user to notice it so I donīt want the message "1222 killed" to appear. I`ve tried to redirect the standard output to /dev/null 2>&1 and also tried to use "nohup" but none of them was succesfull. Can anyone... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pguinal
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question