makefile Question

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers makefile Question
# 1  
Old 01-13-2009
makefile Question

Hello, I'm trying to use the make command with a makefile I've made for an assignment. The professor supplied the code and I've copied it into a new file. I made sure to place the tabs in the correct spaces, however when I try to execute it in UNIX I get:

"make: Fatal error in reader: makefile, line 8: Unexpected end of line seen"

I'm not sure why I am getting this. Here is my code:
Code:
# A simple makefile
myHello: hello.class
    echo Main-class: hello > Manifest
    jar cvfm myHello Manifest hello.class
    rm Manifest
    chmod +x myHello

hello.class: hello.java
    javac -Xlint hello.java

clean:
    rm -f hello.class myHello

submit: README makefile hello.java
    submit cmps012m-pt.w09 lab1 README makefile hello.java

# 2  
Old 01-13-2009
I think the problem may be that there are not supposed to be new lines inbetween the blocks. However, when I take them out I receive the error:
Code:
'ake: Fatal error: Don't know how to make target `myHello

# 3  
Old 01-13-2009
Alright, figured it out on my own. The issue was the line breaks, since I was using Notepad. Had to use the code:
Code:
  dos2unix < GNUMakefile > GNUMakefile.new
  mv GNUMakefile.new GNUMakefile

Which editor should I use instead of Notepad so I won't have to keep converting files?
# 4  
Old 01-14-2009
I'd go with VIm for Windows.
Code:
:set fileformat=unix

# 5  
Old 01-14-2009
And where would I enter that code in VIm?
# 6  
Old 01-14-2009
It's a VIm command, eg. press escape twice, and type the command as stated above. You should see it appearing at the very bottom of the window.
For more information about VIm enter vimtutor on the command line or go here

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question in creating targets in makefile

Hi, I have a question related to makefile. I'm new to makefile and I'm in the process of writing a makefile for my RBT build. I have multiple source files and when I compile them I will get multiple object files (one object file for each source file). I'm having problem in creating a target for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anand Venkatesa
1 Replies

2. Homework & Coursework Questions

Help with Simple Multi-Level Makefile (Extremely New at Makefile)

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Basically, the prompt is make a makefile with various sub makefiles in their respective subdirectories. All code... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tatl
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Makefile executing another Makefile first?

I have 2 libraries in 2 different directories that I build with Makefiles. library B depends on library A. If I modify a .cpp file in library A and run lib B's Makefile can I have B's makefile to automatically rebuild library A? I am now rebuilding A, followed by B... but I'd like B to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wwuster
0 Replies

4. Programming

A question about Makefile run by GNU make

Hello everybody, Currently I'm learning how to build projects (C programming) with GNU make. I have a problem with one Makefile and I would appreciate if you could kindly give me a hand. Here is the environment: OS: Redhat linux 5 compiler: gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-44)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dariyoosh
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Makefile problem - How to run module load in a Makefile

Hi, I'm trying to run the module load command in a Makefile and i'm getting the following error: make: module: command not found Why is this? Is there any way to run this command in a Makefile? NOTE: command - module load msjava/sunjdk/1.5.0 works fine outside of the Makefile (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hernandinho
2 Replies

6. AIX

makefile question

Hi all, In a makefile I would like to grab the first line of a given parameter file using ‘head' and assign it to a variable, how do I do this? I've got a simple makefile but it does not work? #! /bin/ksh ... .sqc.c: db2prep $*.sqc bindfile if ] DB2_PARM=`/usr/bin/head -1 $*.prm`; fi... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: apersak
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Makefile question

Hi all, I've a makefile which has this line: @touch $@ I know $@ is for representing the target. But I don't know what's the @ preceding the touch. Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjdousti
4 Replies

8. Programming

Makefile very simple question.

Hi I tried many times and I dont know what the he... is going on. Problem: I hava in /home/marcin/c1_menu/ this file: menu_item_data.c I want to compile this file. so I tried something like this CC=gcc LIBS=-lmenu -lncurses RM=rm BINS=menu_item_data %: %.o ${CC} -o $@... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marcintom
1 Replies

9. Programming

Tough makefile question

At my company, we build some stuff using a makefile. While the makefile script is running, a developer may check in a newer version of a source file. The problem is, when we next run the make command, the target file isn't rebuilt, because the date of the target is after the dependency. Any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mbbeaubi
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Makefile question

I'm trying to do string replacement with a Makefile and this is my scenario: Inside file "fileA", I have "#include<text>" statements and I want to replace it with the text inside a file called "params". I wish to perform this task using Makefiles. I've tried using m4 but that only works if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hc29
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question