How to check kernel info

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to check kernel info
# 1  
Old 08-25-2008
Question How to check kernel info

Hi, can anyone tell how can i check kernel memory and paging info etc.. thanks, Mazhar
# 2  
Old 08-25-2008
You can check the release, name and version of the kernel with:
Code:
uname -rsv

To check the memory, swap, etc:
Code:
free -m

# 3  
Old 08-25-2008
for virtual memory u can also use vmstat
# 4  
Old 08-25-2008
i am working on solaris 10 and want to see how much kernel is using memory... the command "free -m" did't work ... so far i search there is a command "kstat" work with modules.... for example kstat -p -m cpu_stat -s 'intr*'

cpu_stat is the module here
now i want to print all modules to perform different commands

thanks,

Mazhar
# 5  
Old 08-25-2008
Indeed, the kstat command displays information about the kernel under UNIX systems. You can see more arguments to use and some examples in the following link:

kstat(1M) – display kernel statistics (man pages section 1M: System Administration Commands) - Sun Microsystems

What was the output of the command that you put as an example?
Code:
kstat -p -m cpu_stat -s 'intr*'

It should display something similar to:
Code:
cpu_stat:0:cpu_stat0:intr       29682330
cpu_stat:0:cpu_stat0:intrblk    87
cpu_stat:0:cpu_stat0:intrthread 15054222
cpu_stat:1:cpu_stat1:intr       426073
cpu_stat:1:cpu_stat1:intrblk    51
cpu_stat:1:cpu_stat1:intrthread 289668
cpu_stat:2:cpu_stat2:intr       134160
cpu_stat:2:cpu_stat2:intrblk    0
cpu_stat:2:cpu_stat2:intrthread 131
cpu_stat:3:cpu_stat3:intr       196566
cpu_stat:3:cpu_stat3:intrblk    30
cpu_stat:3:cpu_stat3:intrthread 59626

Last edited by agasamapetilon; 08-25-2008 at 04:18 AM..
# 6  
Old 08-25-2008
This was my output

bash-3.00# kstat -p -m cpu_stat -s 'intr*'

cpu_stat:0:cpu_stat0:intr 57041377
cpu_stat:0:cpu_stat0:intrblk 17986
cpu_stat:0:cpu_stat0:intrthread 38618969

this is specific for one module cpu_stat

what if i want to display all available modules ? i dont want to give match result.

thanks,

Mazhar
# 7  
Old 08-25-2008
This command displays information about loaded kernel modules, if they are installed or not, loaded or not.
Code:
modinfo -c

Also you can look for the modules at:
Code:
/lib/modules

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Command to check memory used or consumed by OS kernel

I am trying to check how much memory is consumed by OS Kernel using below command, Is this the correct command that I'm using grep Slab /proc/meminfo Output : Slab: 3106824 kB IF I convert KB to GB, It means 2.9 GB of RAM is consumed Below details for reference ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam@sam
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Check kernel SHM_SHARE MMU

hiii, how can view the value of SHM_SHARE MMU on solaris 10? tnx or the answer (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pietro1984
0 Replies

3. Linux

Unload kernel module at boot time (Debian Wheezy 7.2, 3.2.0-4-686-pae kernel)

Hi everyone, I am trying to prevent the ehci_hcd kernel module to load at boot time. Here's what I've tried so far: 1) Add the following line to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf (as suggested here): 2) Blacklisted the module by adding the following string to 3) Tried to blacklist the module... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gacanepa
0 Replies

4. Programming

Kernel module - Check whether file (/dev node) exists

Hi, I'm pretty new to kernel coding and I'm working on a device driver that works with an existing framework. Basically my module will be loaded/unloaded multiple times and I'd like to create a register a class, driver, and create a /dev node on the first load only. The existing framework... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ThomasBrez
0 Replies

5. Solaris

check the utilization of kernel values ?

Any native Solaris commands/scripts to check the utilization of kernel tables/limits in Solaris ? (like equivalent command in HPUX is kcusage) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thamurali
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to check what are the current kernel parameter settings

Hi all, I have four (4) different UNIX flavours and I want to know whether the following commands are correct with respect to wanting to check on what are my current kernel parameter settings. I just want to clear the doubts hanging over my head whether the commands below are the right ones... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Which file is read by kernel to set its default system kernel parameters values?

Hi gurus Could anybody tell me which file is read by kernel to set its default system kernal parameters values in solaris. Here I am not taking about /etc/system file which is used to load kernal modules or to change any default system kernal parameter value Is it /dev/kmem file or something... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: girish.batra
1 Replies

8. Linux

How to get installed kernel patch info

Hi I want to get the info about which version of kernel patchs are installed in my system. I am using susu10. Rgds, ashokd009 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ashokd009
1 Replies

9. Solaris

check disk info

hi friends, - how may i check the list of disk partitions created till date specifying their physical path, size and date ? -i know only "df -k" "df -h" "du" -anyother command? -kindly advise friends..thanks alot (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cromohawk
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

supressing kernel info in /bin/login

I'm assuming that /bin/login is the culprit that keeps on displaying my kernel version when I telnet in, as I have already killed /etc/issue.net, and /etc/motd (although motd is displayed after login), but I now still get my kernel version. I want a "clean" login, *NO* versions of anything... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cerberusofhate
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question