Tools for writing a simple syntax checker?

Top Forums Programming Tools for writing a simple syntax checker?
# 1  
Old 01-26-2009
Tools for writing a simple syntax checker?

I'm trying to write a small utility for syntax checking. I've tried using Flex/Bison, but these seem too advanced for my task. A simpler tool would be appreciated.
# 2  
Old 01-26-2009
This is actually what I'm trying to do:
Code:
Keyword1 Keyword2 IdPrefix_IdBody_IdSuffix

I want to check that "Keyword1" is actually followed by "Keyword2" etc.
Lines like these should be rejected:
Code:
Keyword1 IdPrefix_IdBody_IdSuffix
Keyword1 Unknown IdPrefix_IdBody_IdSuffix
Keyword2 Keyword1 IdPrefix_IdBody_IdSuffix
Keyword1 Keyword2 IdBody_IdSuffix
Keyword1 Keyword2 IdPrefix_IdBody
Keyword1 Keyword2 IdPrefix_Unknown_IdSuffix

This should be a simple task, but I fail. I'd like some sort of lookahead in Flex or ability to invert match.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Completed: Domain name tools. Generator & Checker

I'm fairly new to bash scripts, and all things unix in general. But I was in desperate need of this script, so I took matters into my own hands and built it! The first script uses a password generator that creates 4 letter domain names and outputs only the ones that are available. Currently its... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Files
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

SIMPLE HTTP PROXY SERVER CHECKER (Completed)

Simple Http Proxy Server Checker Script with curl mirror proxies-scripts/proxc at master * Anoncheg1/proxies-scripts * GitHub output in terminal HTTP, HTTP Connect (HTTPS not supported) command line: proxc filename where filename is file like 119.110.69.185:8080 119.235.16.41:8080... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 654321
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with writing simple bash script

I want to write a bash script to: 1. Send an email from localhost to an external gmail account. (gmail then automatically forwards the message back to a pop account on the same server. 2. Script waits 3 minutes then checks to see if the email arrived, and if not, it sends an email to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sallyanne
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell syntax checker available, or is a new project needed?

I'd like a shell-script syntax checker that can detect at least the following errors, and more: 1. Variable $VAR used but VAR has not been defined. 2. Variable VAR defined but never used. 3. Use of unquoted variables which might break external commands e.g. SOMETHING in: value=`grep $SOMETHING... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: garethr
5 Replies

5. Red Hat

Writing simple python setup commands

Building software in most languages is a pain. Remember ant build.xml, maven2 pom files, and multi-level makefiles? Python has a simple solution for building modules, applications, and extensions called distutils. Disutils comes as part of the Python distribution so there are no other packages... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing a simple loop in perl

Dear all, I am a complete newbie to (perl) programming and I am completely stuck in a project. I have the following arrays @array_1 @array_2 @array_A @array_B @array_C Each element pair of array_1 and array_2 is linked to all elements of a third array (e.g. array_A, array_B or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: docdudetheman
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HELP! writing simple shell script

how would i write a shell script to show the number of lines in which int variable appears in a c++ program. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: deadleg
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script syntax checker

I have a rather big script that i have written in ksh and it is falling over in two places with a 'test argument' error. I know this usually means that the if statement is not correct, but it is fine. I have looked through the rest of the script for any odd brackets or ` marks, but can't see... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: handak9
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help writing simple script

I'm trying to write a simple unix script that will delete files after 30 days of being created. I've never done this before but conceptually it sounds easy. Here is what I'm trying to do: Get System Date Get File Date If (sysdate-filedate>30days) rm file All of these files are contained... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tamdoankc
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question