get rid of special characters

Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications get rid of special characters
# 1  
Old 07-28-2008
get rid of special characters

Hi Friends,

we have recently installed RHEL4.4 and when i give the commd
ls -l > tt it prints the file name with some special charactes like
^[[00m1 in the begining of the file name and at the end of the file name. I wanted to use the file names of removing it before taking
the backup and to use in awk script I want to remove the unprintable
characters .
I have tried
sed 's/^[...../p' input file > output file , but the characters varies in their
lenght so unable to remove . kindly guide ..

Thanks in advance for help.
Smilie
# 2  
Old 07-28-2008
Question Can you provide a sample?

Sample input - what you are seeing
Sample output - your desired end-result
help in solving many problems.

That is especially true here since one prefix does not allow for the undertanding of a pattern.
# 3  
Old 07-28-2008
It's real DATA ANALYSIS!

Why are you using "ls -l" if all you want is the names? Try ls -1.. That will simplify things for you... As for the special characters, get used to "od" Octal Dump.... Look at the hex values... try

ls -1 | od -cx > somefile

Then you can actually see what values are in those "unprintable" columns. Impossible to tell from what you write here because every character set interprets those values differently.... Once you know what the characters really are (in hex) you can come up with a way of eliminating them... Still, I don't know what RHEL is... Is it real unix?
This User Gave Thanks to quine For This Post:
# 4  
Old 07-29-2008
RHEL is Red Hat Enterprise (mumble) something, i.e. Linux.

Maybe it's as simple as "unalias ls". Some distros provide an alias which enables directory coloring, which will output some escape codes to provide text in different colors. If your terminal doesn't understand those escape codes, you would see something like what you describe.
# 5  
Old 07-29-2008
Escape codes... Colors...

Yes makes sense. Hadn't thought of that. I've got a little project of my own that requires getting rid of escapes like that (simple perl pattern). I wondered what they might be for, now I remember... thanks

$INPTBffr =~ s/[^\x0A\x0D\x20-\x7E]+//g;

Using something like the above to strip binaries, and newlines leaving pure text stream.....
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to get rid of unwanted characters

so i have strings such as this: 'postfix/local#2,5#|CRON.*12062.*root.*CMD#2,5#|roice.*NQN1#1,2#|toysprc#1,4#' i need to get rid of the "#" and the numbers between them for each of the strings above. so the desired output should be: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting rid of abnormal Characters

i'm grepping for words in the /var/adm/messages (sun solaris). but it looks like while my grepping finds the strings, when it outputs them out, the beginning of some lines are chopped off. Jun 13 14:06:02 sky.net ufs: NOTICE: alloc: /prod: file system full 3 14:39:19 sky.net ufs: NOTICE:... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting rid of abnormal Characters

ok, so i have no clue why this script i wrote spits out these bizarre characters: i cant even copy and paste those characters on here because it just doesn't show up properly. my question is, using sed, how can i get rid of all characters that aren't normal? echo "abnormal characters" |... (4 Replies)
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Any way to get rid of ^M characters in a text file using pr?

When I use vi to see what's in the file I get this: int add1(int x) {^M return x + 1;^M} ^Mint subtract1(int x) {^M return x - 1;^M} ^Mint double_it(int x) {^M return x * 2;^M} ^Mint halve_it(int x) {^Mreturn x / 2;^M} ^Mint main() {^M int myint;^M int result;^M ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nonito84
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

get rid of non-alphanumeric characters

Hi! Could anyone so kindly help me a code to eliminate from a txt file, obtained by collecting and merge several web-page, every word (string) containing non alphabetical, numeric and punctuation character (i.e NON a-zA-Z0-9, underscore and punctuation mark)? Thanks a lot for the help to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjomba
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting rid of non-numeric and non-characters

I have a database script that always produces the following output: 0 btw, the unwanted character looks like a square on a unix system. it doesn't look like the above quote. how can I get rid of it and only keep the "0"? ---------- Post updated at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous update was... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help getting rid of bold characters

Hi! So i've got this shell script that asks questions and the user is required to input answers. The answers typed are bold. sh-*.*$ sh filename dir cat question tput bold read ans tput sgr0 ... and so on tput sgr0 exit So when the script ends i don't get the bold characters... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kingzy
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get rid of all the weird characters and color on bash shell

Does anyone of you know how to turn off color and weird characters on bash shell when using the command "script"? Everytime users on my server used that command to record their script, they either couldn't print it because lp kept giving the "unknown format character" messages or the print paper... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Micz
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix -> pc (get rid of the funy characters)

I man a command and save it in a file. ftp to pc. but when i displayed it. it has some repeat and funny characters. how can i get rid of it? eg. $ man ls > lsman then use ftp transfer the file from unix to pc. open file laman. it has some thing like NNNNAAAAMMMMEEEE repeat letters... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gusla
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

getting rid of control characters

how can i get rid of the control characters , ex. ^M, ^G, in a file? thanks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: apalex
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question