System Image of Unix

Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users System Image of Unix
# 1  
Old 08-23-2010
System Image of Unix

Hi,

Is there any inbuild tool or software through which we can take system image of any unix system?

Please suggest.

Regards,
Ravi D
# 2  
Old 08-23-2010
No, Im afraid not. UNIX runs on lots of different processors, on lots of different hardware on lots of different filesystems on lots of different disk drives, and so im afraid "any" is too unspecific. Many UNIX come with "dump" and "restore" which often can perform some and often all of that functionality but even that is not standard across all UNIX.
# 3  
Old 08-23-2010
What exactly do you mean by "system image"?
# 4  
Old 08-23-2010
I donīt know what is your idea of system image, but for unix systems you have your inbuilt tool for a Complete System Backup.
For example in AIX is mksysb, in HP-UX itīs ignite, in solaris you are able to use dumps (like tar). Other way could be trough an inbuilt application for Network System Backup, for AIX is NIM Server, for HP-UX is Ignite Server, and for Solaris is Jumpstart.
There are many possibilites, you need to explain your concept about this and which platform is the one you want to backup.
# 5  
Old 08-23-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesan
..., in solaris you are able to use dumps (like tar)...
solaris uses "flasharchives". and ufs(dumps) are also possible if you use ufs and not zfs as your root filesystem.
# 6  
Old 08-23-2010
yes, it was an example, of course if you want to backup a solaris you are able to use ufsdump. That was present on my mind. Thanks.
# 7  
Old 08-23-2010
These tools being mentioned are all proprietary things, so it's hard to even compare their functionality to each other. It depends what you mean by "system image".

UNIX is generally a lot less "magic" than most systems, so super-specialized backup tools aren't as essential; except for the bootloader, just having the right files in the right places with the right UID/GID/permissions should do. You can also dd a disk to get a bit-for-bit copy, though not while its mounted read-write of course.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

transfering kernel image to another system

my server system is low on disk. To install a new kernel I think i shall do the following: 1. compile the kernel on another system. 2. copy bzImage along with config, System.map and of course the laodable module in /lib/modules and transfer them to the server. 3. Now, I can remove the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr_mabuse
0 Replies

2. Solaris

Create an ISO image of whole system

Hi All, Please help me with this. My plan is to create an ISO image of my current solaris 8 OS.Because we use a stripped out version of solaris 8 which is different than the standard one in CD. Will dd command will do ? My idea is to create a VMware image from iso file and play it in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jartan
6 Replies

3. Linux

error while retrieving image using system imager

This is the error that I am getting while retrieving image from image server using system imager.... Listening on LPF/lo/<null> sending on Socket/fallback/fallback-net DHCPDISCOVER on lo to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 5 DHCPDISCOVER on lo to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval5... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nitesh_tarbani
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

loading a unix image

what filesystem does unix use? i have a server what had windows loaded on it and when i tried to load a unix image it gives me the error message: mit_hard0 failed Fatal error: a critical disk initialization utility has failed on the primary disk error: /mitram/lib/mit_hd has failed, exiting... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ahaurek
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bitmap image in unix

On windows we can save the screen in a .bmp file format. I sit possible to do the same thing in Unix? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asutoshch
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question