Modifying file to 75 characters

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Modifying file to 75 characters
# 1  
Old 08-23-2012
Modifying file to 75 characters

I have a text file containing some notes and I want to limit the lines to 75 characters.
Tried using fold, however fold will cut words.

Need something in bash, sed or awk to do this. Find the blank space less than 75 ant cut from there
# 2  
Old 08-23-2012
Have you tried the -s option to fold?
Code:
       -s
            Breaks the line after the rightmost blank within the Width limit, if an output line segment contains any blank
            characters. The default is to break lines so each output line segment is as wide as possible.

# 3  
Old 08-23-2012
What have you tried so far? Answers before that from the OP will be moderated.
# 4  
Old 08-23-2012
I tried the

Code:
cat test.tex | fold -s -w 75

It does the right thing, however I noticed that it messes the paragraphs up.
# 5  
Old 08-23-2012
This 75 characters are including/excluding white spaces
# 6  
Old 08-23-2012
@kristunu
Please post representative sample input and matching ideal output.
# 7  
Old 08-23-2012
Consider the following text file

Code:
\subsection{Providing Useful Feedback}

When providing feedback, treat each other graciously and kindheartedly. That does not mean
that we do not criticize one another; we do, but we give constructive criticism.

There are three rules to follow:

\begin{itemize}

\item \textbf{Rule 1} Surround constructive criticism with encouragement. First point out at
least one strength of the interactive note, focus statement, or outline, and then present our
question or constructive criticism.

\item \textbf{Rule 2} Be more explicit and precise while framing questions - the more precise,
the less likely that the questions will be misunderstood. Rather than \char`\"{}\emph{What
did you mean by that?}\char`\"{} (which can interpreted as genuinely inquisitive or highly
dismissive), use questions such as: \char`\"{}\emph{I'm intrigued by your theory. What did
you mean by using it in that context?}\char`\"{} or \char`\"{}\emph{I don't quite understand
what you mean by {[}a specific point{]}. Could you please explain it a little more?}\char`\"{}

\item \textbf{Rule 3} Own your comments so the presenter answers you in a constructive manner.
Do not use comments such as \char`\"{}\emph{That theory doesn't make sense.}\char`\"{} Stick
to \char`\"{}\emph{I don't understand the theory you are presenting}\char`\"{} or \char`\"{}
\emph{I don't understand why you are focusing on that theory.}\char`\"{}

\end{itemize}

Critique and feedback, when appropriate, ought to come out of generosity and compassion, and
with an intention to make the other person look good.

Code:
cat test.tex | fold -s -w 75

gives

Code:
\subsection{Providing Useful Feedback}

When providing feedback, treat each other graciously and kindheartedly. 
That does not mean
that we do not criticize one another; we do, but we give constructive 
criticism.

There are three rules to follow:

\begin{itemize}

\item \textbf{Rule 1} Surround constructive criticism with encouragement. 
First point out at
least one strength of the interactive note, focus statement, or outline, 
and then present our
question or constructive criticism.

\item \textbf{Rule 2} Be more explicit and precise while framing questions 
- the more precise,
the less likely that the questions will be misunderstood. Rather than 
\char`\"{}\emph{What
did you mean by that?}\char`\"{} (which can interpreted as genuinely 
inquisitive or highly
dismissive), use questions such as: \char`\"{}\emph{I'm intrigued by your 
theory. What did
you mean by using it in that context?}\char`\"{} or \char`\"{}\emph{I 
don't quite understand
what you mean by {[}a specific point{]}. Could you please explain it a 
little more?}\char`\"{}

\item \textbf{Rule 3} Own your comments so the presenter answers you in a 
constructive manner.
Do not use comments such as \char`\"{}\emph{That theory doesn't make 
sense.}\char`\"{} Stick
to \char`\"{}\emph{I don't understand the theory you are 
presenting}\char`\"{} or \char`\"{}
\emph{I don't understand why you are focusing on that theory.}\char`\"{}

\end{itemize}

Critique and feedback, when appropriate, ought to come out of generosity 
and compassion, and
with an intention to make the other person look good.

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying listener file

Hi Pros, I'm writing a script to modify listener.ora file on multiple hosts. When I ssh to any server from a central server in our environment we are presented with menu to select the instance. I need to set my environment to listener which could be different number on every instance. How can I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: humble_learner
5 Replies

2. Infrastructure Monitoring

modifying existing file using C

Hi all, I have a snmpd.conf file as below. in "SECTION: Trap Destinations" line I want to add "trap2dest <IP>:162 <com_str>" on a new line. For this I wrote following code #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> int main(void) { FILE *fp; ssize_t read_char_count = 0; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zing_foru
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying a file?

Hi, I want to convert a file that looks like this >joe XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX >man BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBSSSSSSSS to something that looks like this (where the spacing is tab seperated) joe XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX man BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBSSSSSSSS I am able to do the reverse but the other... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kylle345
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Modifying a file using SED

Dear Members, I have a file which contains data as shown below: LOAD DATA APPEND INTO TABLE xxap.test ( RAW_DATA char(3000) "replace(:raw_data,'*','|')", LOADING_SEQUENCE "xx_gl_bank_fee_s1.nextval", CREATION_DATE SYSDATE, LAST_UPDATE_DATE SYSDATE, ATTRIBUTE1 "DATE_STAMP", ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sandeep_1105
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

modifying file using script

Hi, I am new to shell programming, and want to know is it possible to change the contents of file using script? for example, if want to search 2 words and want to replace these words with 2 new words. Regards, Manoj (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting text and modifying the file

I am in a dire need of doing this job , please help from shell script or perl script. It will be highly appreciated. Please have a look at the following INPUT file; The first 14 rows are not of interest but I want them to be included in the output file as they are. From the row 14... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: digipak
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Modifying a .ksh file

Hi, i have created a simple .ksh file in the following manner cat <<EOF >mfile #!/bin/ksh echo "hello world" EOF I have 2 questions 1. now i would like to add a second line after the first echo command e.g. echo "this is line 2" how can i do that ? 2. I would then like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: corbusier
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying file from outside

hi , I have a javascript file like this: function fnValidateId(){ var array_id = new Array("444","7888","6633","555","146562","3333","33332") var tmp_id = document.form1.id.value; var num=0; while(1) { if(tmp_id ==... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sreejith_VK
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

can someone help me with modifying this file

Hi, I have a file which has data kind of like this. Apr 13 08:20:38 uslis10a sendmail: m3DDKSx3006432: usliss26.ca.com Apr 13 08:20:38 uslis10b sendmail: m3DDKSoK006433: usliss26.ca.com Apr 13 08:20:38 uslis10b sendmail: m3DDKcSo006442: usliss26.ca.com Apr 13 08:20:38 uslis10c... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eamani_sun
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying the final output file

Hey all, I am haivng n number of files all of them are of the same format but different details. i.e File1 is having the folloeing details: "Account1",123 "Account2",10 "Account3",12355 "Accountn",555 File2 is having the folloeing details: "Account1",1234 "Account2",100... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: charbel
5 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question