Laptop for unix

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Laptop for unix
# 1  
Old 08-13-2010
Laptop for unix

I like Unix systems very much. Is there possibility, to buy new modern laptop (something like core i7 3.0GHz, ATI/NVIDIA graphic card with 1024MB, 8GB of RAM) on which I will be able to install Unix systems like BSD and Solaris and use mic and cameras and all stuff with this systems?

Thanks in advance!
# 2  
Old 08-13-2010
There are some Laptops that are even preinstalled with Linux and I think if it is not the absolute latest or totally exotic chipsets etc. being used in it you have a very good chance that you will be able to install most distributions of Linux. BSD and even Solaris is available for free for x86.

There should be plenty of information on official and other related websites. Also things like compability/support lists for hardware.
# 3  
Old 08-13-2010
i installed the ubuntu 10 in the i7 processor and 1 GB video card 4GB ram laptop
# 4  
Old 08-13-2010
We use laptops that are installed with FreeBSD and this works quite well. We have never tried camera or sound, but the online manuals give information on how to install this. My main point is that FreeBSD with a proper window manager and productivity application set works very well on laptops.
# 5  
Old 08-13-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaxxon
There are some Laptops that are even preinstalled with Linux
Warning warning warning. Manufacturers sometimes preinstall Linux as a throwaway OS, like DOS, to avoid paying Windows license costs. As such, they frequently don't bother to get anything but video working properly.

So don't assume its existence guarantees Linux works fully.

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Ubuntu

Laptop to laptop transfer files

Dear all, I would like to transfer my old laptop documents/files etc to the new laptop without using any external hard disk. Please let me know if its possible via any way. Thank in advance, emily (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: emily
3 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

Secure Laptop composition with UNIX/Linux and Windows 7

Hello I have a problem: want to build secure laptop for simple user ( that's me :D ) with the VPN and virtualization. Laptop would be for work at home and travel , so security for wirelles networks and comfort using Mobile 3G internet with dongle (not to have problem with drivers) is also... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: edgkkk
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

installing unix/linux on HP(INTEL INSIDE) LAPTOP.

Please inform me on how to install unix/Linus on hp(Intel inside) lap top computer, with windows xp inside. Thank you. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: princektwo
2 Replies

4. Ubuntu

Connect 2 laptops with RJ45 cable (Ubuntu 10.10 laptop with Windows 7 laptop)

Hi to all, I have the problem that a laptops with windows XP cannot startup even in safe mode nor using last good known configuration. I have a Ubuntu 10.10 Live CD and booting from it I can read the Hard Drive. I need to do a backup the Hard Drive from XP laptop and I want to connect this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
5 Replies

5. BSD

NetBSD on OLD laptop

I want to install NetBSD on the Compaq LTE 5000. ("Of course it runs NetBSD!!") But the laptop does NOT have a CD-ROM drive. How can I solve?? Thanks for any reply! :) PS: I hope i'm posting in the right item... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mghis
2 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

Favorite UNIX-like OS for laptop

First, a hello to all of you out there. Quick introduction since I'm new here before I ask my question. I'm a Computer Science major who has an unnatural love of operating systems. :) In fact, I'm looking on building a new computer that will have enough RAM to let me have some fun with several VMs... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ViperChief
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

mount CD from local laptop to UNIX server remotely

I need some help in emergency. I want to add some software package from Solaris 10 CD remotely to UNIX Sparc machine. I can remotely access into the machine. Question is: how do I insert Solaris 10 CD in my laptop, then mount to UNIX machine remotely and add software package. Please give me the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
7 Replies

8. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Im new at this and need help with my laptop

Ok, I recently purchased a lapto and the harddrive crashed. I bought a new one and now half of the functions on it wont work. I cant watch DVD's and non eof my Fn keys work. Any suggestions? Also wanting to learn how to program, anybody know a good way to go about it/learn computer languages? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beachbummer88
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to connect laptop to Unix system via Parallel port

Hi, I have been using a computer to keep track of inventory for my business. I am pretty sure it runs on Unix. In the back of the computer there is some sort of PCI card that has about 8 RJ-11 ports on it. I use that card to connect the Unix system to my 3 VT-220 terminals. I use a simple 6... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: john202
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

installation on a laptop!!!!! HELP!!!!!!

Hi. I am tring to install solaris 8 on my laptop. i completely installed it and when the screen pops up it all grey and ugly... Man.. i am having this problem for days... i went to xfree86 site and download some univerisal drivers and that didn't work.. Man i need your guys help this is a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: souldier
7 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question