FIFO size in Solaris

Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users FIFO size in Solaris
# 1  
Old 07-17-2010
FIFO size in Solaris

Hi,

How do I know the max. size for FIFO(named pipe) on my system.
I'm using solaris 10 OS. Is there any comparison chart between message queues and named pipes.

Thanks in advance.
axes
# 2  
Old 07-19-2010
I guess it's 5K (I got this information from `ulimit -p` in a bash shell).
# 3  
Old 07-19-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by axes
How do I know the max. size for FIFO(named pipe) on my system.
Find out what PIPE_BUF is set to in limits.h and read the manpage of the write system call.
# 4  
Old 07-21-2010
Thanks shamrock & toshiro

It's defined 5K in limits.h
#define PIPE_BUF 5120 /* max # bytes atomic in write to a pipe */
axes
# 5  
Old 07-23-2010
Oh. I see what you asked. But that is not what PIPE_BUF is. Solaris does know the size of a pipe file - fstat() on the open file descriptor returns a struct stat with st_size in bytes. This is the amount of data waiting to be read from the pipe. Other versions of unix do not support this extension to stat functionality.

PIPE_MAX is 'how many bytes can I stuff into a pipe with a single call to write, and still have the call complete atomically'

It is not clear to me which one you want. But you have choices.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Pipe & fifo size limit

Hi guys. 1. how much is the size of pipe?(i mean the buffer size) 2. is this size different in various UNIX derivations? 3. what happens if we write to a full pipe? does it block until get some free space(the other side receive data) or returns an error? 3. FIFO s are physical files on the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: majid.merkava
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Size of an inode in Solaris 10

Can anyone know what is the size of an inode in Solaris 10 :D? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: naag20
5 Replies

3. Solaris

Largest LUN size in Solaris 10

What is the largest possible LUN size that can be presented to Solaris 10. I've been googling a lot about this. The new EFI lablels (an alternative to VTOC) supports LUNs greater than 2TB. I need to know the upper limit. please help me find it. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pingmeback
4 Replies

4. Solaris

How to check file size in solaris?

Hi All I m having a file , path is /usr/Image/test how i can get size of the "test" file? is there any command for that? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunray
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Weird swap size on Solaris 9

I have a machine: SunOS <server> 5.9 Generic_117171-15 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-480R It has these filesystems: Filesystem size used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/md/dsk/d0 19G 15G 3.9G 80% / /proc 0K 0K 0K 0% /proc... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: son_t
6 Replies

6. Solaris

how to find MTU size on solaris.

How do i find the MTU size on solaris, which file to look into. Please help I'm a newbie to administration. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramky79
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ram size in sun solaris

I need to check ram size and currently free in sun solaris box (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmsuper
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find RAM size in my Solaris 8

Hello there, I have a very basic question. It is so simple to find out all the information about system in windows environment. But I do not see any easy way to find it out in my Unix (Solaris 8) box. All I want to find out how much RAM I have in my solaris 8 box. Is there any command? ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: malikabid
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

PIPE and FIFO buffer size

Hello! How I can increase (or decrease) the predefined pipe buffer size? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jus
1 Replies

10. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

PIPEs and Named PIPEs (FIFO) Buffer size

Hello! How I can increase or decrease predefined pipe buffer size? System FreeBSD 4.9 and RedHat Linux 9.0 Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jus
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question