To replace a keyword for a number of files in a path

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting To replace a keyword for a number of files in a path
# 1  
Old 07-09-2011
To replace a keyword for a number of files in a path

I have to search for a keyword (UTF-16) in xml file and if the keyword is found i have to convert the encoding type in the file to UTF-8 and then replace the keyword inside the file from UTF-16 to UTF-8.
I have the code which is working for one file but for number of files in a path its not working please help..

Code:
sed -n '/UTF/p' q.xml
iconv -f UTF-16 -t UTF-8 q.xml > t.xml 
sed 's/UTF-16/UTF-8/g' t.xml > q.xml
rm -f t.xml

if i use ,

Code:
for i in `find . -type f | xargs sed -n '/UTF/p'`
do
iconv -f UTF-16 -t UTF-8 $i > $i.old
sed 's/UTF-16/UTF-8/g' $i.old > $i
done

this code is not working..
Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please be careful with formatting, especially fonts and colors. Also, please use [CODE] tags when posting source listings, console output, ...

Last edited by pludi; 07-09-2011 at 12:26 PM..
# 2  
Old 07-09-2011
post the output of this command

Code:
find . -type f | xargs sed -n '/UTF/p'

# 3  
Old 07-11-2011
After executing this command te problem i am facing is ,
Since my shell script also has UTF keyword its trying to convert that to UTF-8 format and so many unknown files are getting created.
can i place my shell script outside the folder and run it ?
please help..
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace the path value in files, pattern is not full known.

Hi, I need to do find and replace, but the pattern is not full known. for example, my file has /proj/app-d1/sun or /data/site-d1/conf here app-d1 and site-d1 is not constant. It may be different in different files. common part is /proj/xx/sun and /data/xxx/conf i want to find where ever... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbalaj16
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern match a path anywhere in the line and replace it with new path

I want to pattern match only path part from below and replace them with new path string. LoadModule jk_module /fldrA/fldrBaf/fldrCaa/modules/mod_jk.so JkWorkersFile /fldrA/fldrBaf/fldrCaa/config/OHS/ohs1/workers.properties JkLogFile... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving files from parent path to multiple child path using bash in efficient way

Hi All, Can you please provide some pointers to move files from Base path to multiple paths in efficient way.Folder Structure is already created. /Path/AdminUser/User1/1111/Reports/aaa.txt to /Path/User1/1111/Reports/aaa.txt /Path/AdminUser/User1/2222/Reports/bbb.txt to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikgv417
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a Keyword in file and replace another keyword or add at the end of line

Hi I want to implement something like this: if( keyword1 exists) then check if(keyword2 exists in the same line) then replace keyword 2 with New_Keyword else Add New_Keyword at the end of line end if eg: Check for Keyword JUNGLE and add/replace... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dashing201
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and replace ---A huge number of files

Hello Friends, I have the below scenario in my current project. Suggest me which tool ( perl,python etc) is best to this scenario. Or should I go for Programming language ( C/Java ).. (1) I will be having a very big file ( information about 200million subscribers will be stored in it ). This... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: panyam
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Keyword search/replace for two text files?

What is the best way (bash/awk/sed?) to read in two text files and do a keyword search/replace? file1.txt: San Francisco Los Angeles Seattle Dallas file2.txt: I love Los Angeles. Coming to Dallas was the right choice. San Francisco is fun. Go to Seattle in the summer. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pxalpine
3 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Find, replace, file path in multiple files for Solaris 10

Guys I have a big issue that I need to get fixed ASAP however I can not seem to find a way to do it. We started to use zones with Solaris 10 at work and we moved a zone from a SIT box to a DEV box. Problem is the software we have installed is looking at a /lcl/sit/apps/ path and it needs to look... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LRoberts
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i use sed to replace a keyword in an xml file?

Hello Unix gurus! I'm a unix newbie. Can I use sed to replace a keyword in an xml file and convert this keyword with an output of a unix cat command? for example: <test>keyword</test> and temp.txt = hello! I would like to replace "keyword" with the output of "cat temp.txt". I think... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: 4dirk1
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

highly specific search and replace for a large number of files

hey guys, I have a directory with about 600 files. I need to find a specific word inside a command and replace only that instance of the word in many files. For example, lets say I have a command called 'foo' in many files. One of the input arguments of the 'foo' call is 'bar'. The word 'bar'... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksubrama
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace only if the keyword is the first word in every line

How do I replace only if the keyword is at the begining of a line? Code: -- a = “This is a print statement” print a -- What if I want to replace print by #print only in the second line i.e only if the line starts with that keyword. Please help me out. I'm new to SED. -----Post... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexzubin
5 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question