Need help in printf in shell script

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need help in printf in shell script
# 1  
Old 04-17-2013
Need help in printf in shell script

My requirement is need to add spaces to the string with the dynamic value to printf... this is a part of shell script ..which i have , the length is not static ...

Code:
length=15
value="1234567890"
 printf "%-"$length"s\n" "$value";

The result it is printing is ... i am not sure y it is printing %-15s..

Code:
%-15s

# 2  
Old 04-17-2013
You can do it like this:

Code:
 printf "%15s\n"  "$value"

For dynamic:
Code:
printf "%*s\n" $length "$value"

Guru.
This User Gave Thanks to guruprasadpr For This Post:
# 3  
Old 04-17-2013
it is printing like below
Code:
*s
*s

# 4  
Old 04-17-2013
printf

Hey!!!

Another way is,

Code:
pat='%'${length}'s\n'
printf $pat "$value"

Cheers,
Ranga Smilie
# 5  
Old 04-17-2013
Code:
$ echo $SHELL
/bin/bash

Code:
$ cat temp.sh
length=15
value="1234567890"

Code:
$ ./temp.sh

# 6  
Old 04-17-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by guruprasadpr
You can do it like this:

Code:
 printf "%15s\n"  "$value"

For dynamic:
Code:

Guru.
This is working fine ... how can i do samething .. to append zero's instead of spaces ..
# 7  
Old 04-17-2013
Code:
$ cat temp.sh
length=15
value="1234567890"
printf "%0*d\n" $length "$value"

$ ./temp.sh

This User Gave Thanks to hanson44 For This Post:
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem running plsql using printf command on bash shell

I am running plsql using printf on a shell, but i am getting some strange error, can someone point what exactly am i missing, $ echo $SHELL /bin/bash $ printf " > SET serveroutput ON trimspool on feed off echo off > declare > p_val number; > d_val varchar2(10); > begin > SELECT... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kamauv234
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to use printf to output a shell variable path?

So I created two shell variables: COLUMN1_HEADING, COLUMN2_HEADING. They have values: COLUMN1_HEADING="John" COLUMN2_HEADING="123456789" How would I use printf to get it to print an output like this: $COLUMN1_HEADING\t$COLUMN2_HEADING\nJohn\t123456789\n Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: steezuschrist96
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Printf command , a little more dynamic..

A big hello to everyone tagged to this site of knowledge . This is the first post of mine and I am looking forward to an enjoyable stint in this forum where I get to know a lot of new ideas and share whatever knowledge (its not much though :) ) I have acquired throughout my career so far with... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarjt
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

printf (awk,perl,shell) float rounding issue

Hi guys, could someone throw some light on the following behaviour of printf (I'll start with info about the system and the tool/shell/interpreter versions)?: $ uname -a Linux linux-86if.site 3.1.0-1.2-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Nov 3 14:45:45 UTC 2011 (187dde0) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: elixir_sinari
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with printf in shell scripting

Hi all I am using printf in my shell script to format my output.I am using the following code. printf "|\tIP Address\t|\tModel Number\t|\tDOM/HW\t|\tSoftware Version\t|\n" printf "|\t%s\t|\t%s\t\t|\t%s\t|\t%s-%s\t\n" $encoder $modelno $type $sv1 $sv2 printf "|\tFPGA... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramman
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with printf in UNIX KSH shell

Hi ALL, I am using SunOS 5.9 and KSH(bin/ksh) The problem am facing is error message diaplyed on screen printf: 12099415.79 not completely converted printf: + expected numeric value printf: 11898578.29 not completely converted When i try printing with The output is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: selvankj
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with printf in shell script

i have written small script as follows: name="hi hello" printf "%-20s" $name This gives me strange output. -20s format is applied on both word of string. i.e it displays both word hi and hello in space of 20 length. I want to display entire string "hi hello" in length of 20 space. plz... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: admc123
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

printf in bash shell not printing negative values

hi i am using printf in a script and it is not printing negative values..i have to use printf to get rid of the newline..here is my code: fin=`echo $a - $b | bc` printf "${fin}," >> test these statements are in a loop. here is what i get when i try to subtract 4 from 8: ./scr1: line... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question