but i have on the original line "specific string" so it must be
alias aliasname " "specific string" "
and it cause me trouble what can i do ?
# 2  
Old 09-03-2006
alias is normally a command, not a quoted string..? try
Code:
alias aliasname="\"specific string\""

specific string could be also surrounded by single-quote double-quote specific double-quote single-quote string
Code:
aliasname='"specific string"'

# 3  
Old 09-05-2006
i ment something like this

alias mine "/.../xsimphone 'name of phone' -f "

i think the ' ' string prevent me to run this alias
# 4  
Old 09-05-2006
Code:
alias mine='/.../xsimphone "name of phone" -f '

swap ' and " characters....
# 5  
Old 09-06-2006
MySQL Thank for you help !!! it works !!!

I will be happy if you can elaborate your explanation Smilie
# 6  
Old 09-06-2006
see the example - it is what you gave with different placement of ' and " characters
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding 'from' email address alias in Linux.

Hi Experts, We want to add the 'from' email address to mailx command in all our linux script. After searching this site I am able to find the command '-- -f' to add the from the email address. Bu the problem is our from email address is :- "Proper Support Name <support@company.com>" Now when I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amey Joshi
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unsetting aliases

Within a session we have created some aliases. How to unset all the aliases in the session or specific alias? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create alias files (not alias commands)

If one: $ find -name 'some expression' -type f > newfile and then subsequently wants to create an alias file from each pathname the find command retrieved and the > placed within 'newfile', how would one do this? Ideally, the newly created alias files would all be in one directory. I am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alexander4444
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Aliases in a script

Hi all, I have and alias set in .profile like alias ll='ls -la' I am writing a shell script in which i am using "ll" but it gives command not found . Can anyone please tell me how source aliases in the script we write do i need to define it again in every script i write is there any oher... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: firestar
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with aliases

I work on a MAC. And i have the need to connect to various servers on a daily basis. So I use aliases in bash shell. The aliases work fine in bash shell. But they dont work with tcsh. Can anybody clarify what might be wrong? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newprofile
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting aliases

How come if I set an alias as such: alias dt 'date "+%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S"' it will work as intended, ie the command 'dt' does prompt the date and time, but not when invoked through a script as such: #!/bin/sh alias dt 'date "+%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S"' The OS is FreeBSD 7.1. Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

etc aliases

Hello: i have several server with own etc aliases. right now i want to combine it all into a general etc aliases in a new freebsd server. cause it consist hundred thousand of record user inside how to make a shell script to combine it or configure it. all etc aliases record example: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: peterLfs
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

/etc/mail/aliases

HI I have 5000 users on sendmail server, also there entries of these users Mail ID in /etc/mail/aliases as per Diparments. Same Mail ID can occures in Diff Departments as per req. I have to remove 500 users from server also there entry from /etc/mail/aliases file. which occures many times. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kumarsharad
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

aliases

Is there a way to view what aliases are running on a given session? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

10. Programming

aliases

Hi. I have a C program that is using the **environ pointer and I am trying to set up aliases for a system("/bin/ksh") call. This works for other environment variables but not for the aliases. Does anyone know if this can be done? Thanks ahead of time. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mluey61
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question