Solaris packages and installation query

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Solaris packages and installation query
# 1  
Old 12-26-2011
Question Solaris packages and installation query

Hi,

Need a small help

Code:
Bash$> pkginfo | grep -i compress
system      SUNWbzip                         The bzip compression utility
system      SUNWgzip                         The GNU Zip (gzip) compression utility
system      SUNWzip                          The Info-Zip (zip) compression utility
system      SUNWzlib                         The Zip compression library

I want to use the bold bzip utility.However, how can we find where the package bzip is installed and how can we trace it ?

Second query bieng

Code:
Bash$> pkginfo | grep -i pfiles

does not show any output which means there is no package of pfiles installed on this unix box however when i do

Code:
Bash$> pfiles
usage:  pfiles [-F] pid ...
(report open files of each process)
-F: force grabbing of the target process

it shows that pfiles is installed and functional. Can u please brief me about both the concerns.
# 2  
Old 12-26-2011
the package which includes the commando "pfiles" does not include the word "pfiles" in the pgkinfo output. i think pkgchk -l -p /path/to/command will give you the packagename of the command... which is SUNWesu for the pfiles command!
# 3  
Old 12-26-2011
Error

This tries to answer only one of the two questions asked. Also,

Code:
/usr/sbin/pkgchk -l -p pfiles
NOTE: Couldn't lock the package database.

Is the above what you asked me to check for ?

Fyi ...
Code:
uname -a
SunOS mymachine 5.10 Generic_144488-07 sun4v sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise-T5220

Kindly help.
# 4  
Old 12-26-2011
you have to enter the FULL path to the command...
# 5  
Old 12-26-2011
Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeNuke2
you have to enter the FULL path to the command...
My initail post states the same query. How to i find the path to a package that was installed. I don't have any answer on the same. These boxes we setup a few year before i had access to them. Also, I am not a unix SA so i would not know.

Kindly help.
# 6  
Old 12-26-2011
Code:
which pfiles

should help you to find the path to a command... a package doesn't have a path. a package contains files which will be copied to the filesystem...
# 7  
Old 12-26-2011
Error

I am still awaiting answer to "Where can i find the bzip" package install path as posted in the initial post of mine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeNuke2
Code:
which pfiles

should help you to find the path to a command... a package doesn't have a path. a package contains files which will be copied to the filesystem...
Here is the output

Code:

bash$> which pfiles
/usr/bin/pfiles
bash$> /usr/sbin/pkgchk -l -p /usr/bin/pfiles
NOTE: Couldn't lock the package database.
Pathname: /usr/bin/pfiles
Type: linked file
Source of link: ../../usr/lib/isaexec
Referenced by the following packages:
        SUNWesu
Current status: installed

This helps. However the question regarding say "wget". How can I confirm if it is instaled on my system or not?

Code:

which

will only work when we have set that tool in the system path. What if it is not set in the system path ?

Last edited by mohtashims; 12-27-2011 at 05:11 AM..

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Are SUNWaccu and SUNWless default packages of x86 installation ?

Hi, This question is not for troubleshooting, but want to get some clarification. In few of our Solaris-10 x86 servers, there are no SUNWaccu and SUNWless packages, so sar is not present. These are old servers, so not sure, when and how these were build. Now, there is a big push from application... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
1 Replies

2. SuSE

Query on Linux Patch Installation

Hello Experts, I need your inputs to figure out the issue I faced post applying Linux patch. Question: As a part of change implementation UNIX team applied patches and upgraded OS from version SuSE Linux 11.2.3 to 11.3.6. Post upgrade we could bring up Tomcat successfully; however... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MaheshChaudhari
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris packages for Oracle grid infrastructure installation

Hello guys, I am trying to install oracle grid infrastructure 11.2 on Solaris 5.11. while I was reading the installation guide to check for the software requirements, there were two packages mentioned for the Solars 5.11. They are as follows pkg://solaris/developer/build/make... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zacsparrow
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris 10 flash installation - fatal error. Solaris installation program exited.

Not very helpful to say the least. Seems to read the flar file and go through the upgrade and then come up with this error. Any ideas? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: psychocandy
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Need few packages for installation

I need the following packages to keep my system uptodate. These packages are not present in Solaris U7. I didnt get these packages from Sun freeware site. Please help me where i can get these packages? IS94de812 ISCbemBui ISCbemCli ISCsmMult ISHelpMul ISJavaMul ISLockhar ISSadeCli... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramnagaraj
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to query packages from a http server.

Hello Unix Gurus, Does anybody have an idea on how to verify packages exist on a remote or ftp server connected through http. Here is my task at hand. We have a central repository in which we retrieve our packages. eg. http://packageserver/packages. What i have done is compiled a list of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: liketheshell
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cygwin packages installation page

Hihi, another question for Cygwin gurus... While im installing, there are many packages that can be installed. Beside each packages, there are three columns: status Keep, Reinstall, Uninstall, Source bin? "blank", "cross", "n/a" src? "blank',... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Suraine
1 Replies

8. Solaris

installation of Solaris: installation bypasses network config.

hello solaris friends, I've tried installing Sun Solaris 10.0, but everytime it seems to bypass the network config. screen that looks similar to this...here's the url: http://www.hup.hu/old/images/hup/Solaris/Sol10beta7/9.png I'm able to install it all the way through but I get no... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cadmiumgreen
2 Replies

9. Solaris

solaris 10 installation query

Dear all I've downloaded Solaris 10 from Sun's website. The Operating system installation files are on 4 CD's. I boot with the first CD and start the installation. Then it reboots and start the installation al over again. If I take the CD out during the 1st reboot, then it cannot continue... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: soliberus
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question