finger command

Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users finger command
# 1  
Old 11-10-2006
finger command

Hello all,

Here is what I am trying to do. If a user exist, then send an echo "EXIST" or else "DOES NOT EXIST". (under HP-UX)

Kind of:

Code:
#!/usr/bin/sh
USER=mylogin

finger $USER

if $? = 0
then
     echo "EXIST""
else
     echo "DOES NOT EXIST"
fi

Does not work at all. Any idea?
# 2  
Old 11-10-2006
I have no access to HP-UX and finger is not present in my system.
But I would try "who" piped to "grep" for this purpose.
# 3  
Old 11-10-2006
Quote:
Code:
if $? = 0

Does not work at all.
It should be
Code:
if [ $? -eq 0 ];

# 4  
Old 11-11-2006
Checked on HP-UX system

#!/usr/bin/sh
USER=mylogin

finger $USER > /dev/null ### Will not display the output of finger command

if [ $? -eq 0 ]
then
echo "EXIST""
else
echo "DOES NOT EXIST"
fi
kamitsin
# 5  
Old 11-11-2006
Finger is disabled on all our servers, just like talk, and rwall are.

You would be better of getting the info from the passwd file.
Tornado
# 6  
Old 11-16-2006
finger wont help as when I gave bogus username it still gave and o/p for $? as 0

Cheers,
# 7  
Old 11-21-2006
Try:

cat /etc/passwd | grep username 1>/dev/null 2>&1

if [ $? != 0 ]
then
echo user does not exist
else
echo user does exist
fi
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Not able to disable finger & telnet command in Solaris 8

Hi I need to disable finger & telnet command in solaris 8 I have put the # infront of finger and telnet line in /etc/inetd.conf file. Further I have run the below command kill -1 <process id of inetd > But when I am running finger command it is till giving information for remote machine... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: amity
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Finger command and security issue

$ finger yeti Login: yeti Name: yeti Directory: /arpa/tz/y/yeti Shell: /bin/ksh On since Wed Apr 2 15:24 (UTC) on pts/149 Mail last read Mon Mar 31 11:08 2014 (UTC) No Plan. Hi there, I am trying to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvinoo
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Finger command

Hi, I am writing script to take last logon user id detials by using finger command. But I am getting below output. wer34 Feb 10:23 I NEED to display wer34 Feb 10 2013 10:23, Is there any way to get like this. (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: stew
18 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting specific info finger command

how to extract user machine name for current terminal using finger command below command gives machinename for all session , is it possible to filter it to only currernt terminal ? finger -b -p $LOGNAME | grep from (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: lalitpct
12 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finger command help

Hi Does anyone know if there is anyway of doing the finger command for all user id's in my enviroment. What I need to obtain is the full names of all users on the system. I know if i do the finger command with no arguments it will list users currently logged in, but i need all users... ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: m3y
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

finger command

I want to know the correct version of how i should use the finger command in this example below.(os is debian lenny) (nymserver.pl is located in /home/nymserv directory.) the two versions are : (in/etc/inetd.conf) finger stream tcp nowait nymuser /usr/nym/nymserv nymserv... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xstation
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting specific info from finger command

Hello all, my unix is bash based and the finger command output is: Login Name Tty Idle LoginTime Office amos.john Amos John pts/26 1 Dec 5 16:18 (77.100.22.07) What am trying to achieve is extract the Login (amos.john) and Name (Amos John) from this output without using awk or sed. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: franny
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

help in finger command.

Hi, iam using sunsolaris. when you type finger command -- it dispalys information about local and remote users. but here it shows as can't stat /dev/gold:8664 can anybody help what is the solution for this error. previously the output came. thanks, shan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shanshine
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to input username on text file into finger command on shell script

I'm trying to clean up my server and I have the list of some "special" users stored on the text file like this Now I want to write a shell script to finger all of them so I can have some kind of ideas who they are but here comes the problem....I completely forgot how to do it with shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Micz
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using the Finger command in a Script

This is my senario..... The user enters a userid into linux. ((I have have already scripted the command to read this userid.)) I need help in writing the script so It reads the userID and in conjuction w/ the finger command displays to the user "no plan" on the screen (so the user reads/sees... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: apolishuk
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question