Problem with knlist in AIX 5.3 for Power5 processor

Operating Systems AIX Problem with knlist in AIX 5.3 for Power5 processor
# 1  
Old 04-25-2005
Data Problem with knlist in AIX 5.3 for Power5 processor

Hi all,

I have a AIX 5.3 Installation on the Power5 processor. I am using the knlist API for getting the details of the CPU details like user cpu, kernel cpu, idle cpu and wait cpu. My code is working fine on other Installations of AIX like PowerPC_POWER4 but it is giving wrong values on Power5 machine.

It would be helpful if anyone can let me know if the knlist API is giving problems on Power5 machine.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

AIX 6.1, POWER5 and Spectre/Meltdown

Apologies for this newbie question. We have inherited an IBM p5 520 (9111-520) running AIX 6.1.0.0 which seems to be the base install and no further patches installed. Is this vulnerable to the Spectre/Meltdown threat? Are patches available? Looks like AIX 6.1.0.0 went 'end of support' in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: the_garbage
8 Replies

2. AIX

Power5 9111-520 reload of AIX 6.1 - help needed

Hello all, I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction here. We had a machine running AIX 6.1 that someone completely corrupted, so we decided to re-load it from media. I was able to boot into DVD media, select options for complete (destructive) install, AIX standard, etc. The... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesNJ
0 Replies

3. AIX

POWER5+ 2.1Gz cpu wattage ?

Hello, What is wattage of POWER5+ 2.1Gz CPU ? It's dual-core 90nm chip. At least approximately ? thanks, Vilius (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vilius
1 Replies

4. AIX

running LPAR on power5 p520 hardware

picked up an old p520..and also spend sometimes to manage software: a) AIX 7.1 b) VIOS Server 2.2 attempting to run a few LPARs without much more $$$$, as this is a home-made projects.. machine hdisk0, pre-installed with AIX 7.1 a few questions: a) In order to run LPARs, I will... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppchu99
7 Replies

5. AIX

Upgrading Power5 from 5.3 to...

I have a power5 that I would like to update and bring everything forward. I am wondering about trouble-free upgrades. Is it better to go 5.3 -> 7 or 5.3 ->6 ->7? The power5 box is behind and hopefully can learn from experiences here. Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: redi
6 Replies

6. AIX

HMC & Processor Pool problem

Hi, I am having problem allocating all my processors -- 6 processors -- to sharedpool1 I have 6 processors and I want my lpars to share all these 6 processors. DefaultPool can't be edited. I edit my Sharedpool1 as follows Reserved:0 Max Processors: 6 In my lpar profile: Min: 1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
1 Replies

7. AIX

LPAR processor/virtual processor settings

Question is on setting of Physical and Virtual processors for LPARs to make proper use of virtualization capabilities. Environment is a 8-way p570 with 4 LPARs. lparVIO1 and lparVIO2: AIX 5300-04-01 Mode/Type= Shared-SMT/Capped Minimum Processors= 0.10 Desired Processors= 0.50 Maximum... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guttew
1 Replies

8. AIX

knlist API on AIX 5.3

Hi, I have written an application which reports the CPU information like user cpu%, sys cpu%, idle cpu% and wait cpu%. The application is built on an AIX 5.1 machine. The appliaction runs fine on AIX 5.1 and 5.2 and their results match with that of the topas command. But when I run the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: allthanksquery
1 Replies

9. AIX

Issue with AIX 5.3 and nlist/nlist64/knlist

I have encountered a problem that I cannot resolve. We have two different AIX 5.3 boxes. On one box, regardless of whether it is booted in 32 bit mode or 64 bit mode, I can obtain kernel metrics (i.e, using kernel symbol names sysinfo or avenrun) via the nlink or nlink64 system call. On... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lawrence
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problem with dual processor system

Firstly, here are the main system specs: 2x Pentium III 800MHz MSI 694D Pro 4x 256MB PC133 SDRAM 420WATT Vantec PSU In a nut shell, the systems reboots for no apparent reason while starting/installing up any OS when both processors are installed. I've ran memtest86 for several hours, no... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: meeps
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question
CPU_NEED_RESCHED(9)					   BSD Kernel Developer's Manual				       CPU_NEED_RESCHED(9)

NAME
cpu_need_resched -- context switch notification SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/cpu.h> void cpu_need_resched(struct cpu_info *ci, int flags); DESCRIPTION
The cpu_need_resched() function is the machine-independent interface for the scheduler to notify machine-dependent code that a context switch from the current LWP, on the cpu ci, is required. This event may occur if a higher priority LWP appears on the run queue or if the current LWP has exceeded its time slice. If RESCHED_KPREEMPT flag is specified in flags and __HAVE_PREEMPTION C pre-processor macro is defined in <machine/intr.h>, machine-dependent code should make a context switch happen as soon as possible even if the cpu is running the kernel code. If RESCHED_IMMED flag is specified in flags, machine-dependent code should make a context switch happen as soon as possible. In that case, for example, if ci is not the current processor, cpu_need_resched() typically issues an inter processor call to the processor to make it notice the need of a context switch as soon as possible. Typically, the cpu_need_resched() function will perform the following operations: o Set a per-processor flag which is checked by userret(9) when returning to user-mode execution. o Post an asynchronous software trap (AST). o Send an inter processor interrupt to wake up cpu_idle(9). SEE ALSO
sched_4bsd(9), userret(9) BSD
July 31, 2010 BSD