output of the time command ?

Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users output of the time command ?
# 1  
Old 02-05-2006
output of the time command ?

can someone tell me the meaning of this commnad,
If you want to see a grand total of CPU time for a program when it finishes running, you can use the time command. At the Unix prompt, enter:

time java myprog

Replace myprog with the name of the program you are running. The following is an output example for users in the csh or tcsh shells:

1.406u 0.042s 0:04.96 29.0% 2+5k 0+1io 0pf+0w

i know meaning of first half (1.406u 0.042s 0:04.96 29.0%). plz. post replies for the second half if anyone knows about it

cheers
lokky

Last edited by ldpathak; 02-08-2006 at 02:15 AM.. Reason: replies are not clear yet
# 2  
Old 02-05-2006
Looks like you are using csh. It has a built-in time command. If you want to use the normal 'time' command, use /usr/bin/time versus time. See the man page for csh for the explaination of the last fields (and the fact they aren't even calculated)
# 3  
Old 02-05-2006
The 0+0k and the 0+0io probably indicate that those fields cannot be obtained on your unix system (possibly your process performed no i/o, but it certainly used some memory). The 1904pf is the page faults and you need to understand your systems virtual memory before you can really interpret that.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Send output of time command to file

I am measuring the time it takes for a wget command to complete. Right now my command is: time wget https://`ifconfig -a | grep '32.29.120' | cut -d: -f2 | cut -d' ' -f1`:8443/primary-rest/shop?brandId=test --header="name: test" --no-check-certificate -o SELF_TEST.log The output I get is ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert title as output of command to appended file if no output from command

I am using UNIX to create a script on our system. I have setup my commands to append their output to an outage file. However, some of the commands return no output and so I would like something to take their place. What I need The following command is placed at the prompt: TICLI... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbrass
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Time field showing Zero in ps command output

F S UID PID PPID C PRI NI ADDR SZ WCHAN STIME TTY TIME COMD 401 S catmgr 5748 5742 0 154 20 e0000006d48cd080 133 e0000003fb6e7200 11:22:32 ? 0:00 /opt/ssh/libexec/sftp-server 3401 R catmgr 5742 5631 0 152 20 e0000005f974fa00 750 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TomG
4 Replies

4. Red Hat

Command understanding the output file destination in case of standard output!!!!!

I ran the following command. cat abc.c > abc.c I got message the following message from command cat: cat: abc.c : input file is same as the output file How the command came to know of the destination file name as the command is sending output to standard file. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravisingh
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Find command output gives one day before time stamp

Hi All, I am listing the files which are 4 hours older. For this first I have creted a dummy file with the 4 hours before timestamp, then I am using the below find command, find /path/ -type f ! -newer 4_hours_oledr_file -exec ls -lrt {} \; I am getting the files which are older than... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: velava
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect time command output to file (cygwin bash)

I have set up a bash script to run a long list of things that I need to time. I would like to redirect the output of time to a file. I have set it up like, echo "Runtimes for servlet 4, 100K structures" > test_times.txt echo "" >> test_times.txt echo "runs where N=10" >> test_times.txt echo... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing output of "time" command to a variable

Hi all, I am new to Linux/shell scripting having moderate knowledge. In my script, I need to get execution time of a command (say 'ls') in mili seconds level. For this i tried using "time" command to retrieve the total execution time in milli seconds. But, the problem is that, how to save... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: happening_linux
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to avoid time command output

Hi, I have 2 queries 1 .when I run some unix command, I am getting the output of "time" at std output (screen) for eg zegrep <pattern> *.v.gz I almost found the reason but not sure, if the no of files matching *.v.gz is more then I am getting the time command output at the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: selvaka
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Differences between time command and usr/bin/time

I wondered if someone could point out the differences between the time commmand and usr/bin/time and the accuracy one might have over another. Also, is there a website or two a person could maybe link for me to describe the differences? Thank you for your time. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: icedrake
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command display output on console and simultaneously save the command and its output

Hi folks, Please advise which command/command line shall I run; 1) to display the command and its output on console 2) simultaneous to save the command and its output on a file I tried tee command as follows; $ ps aux | grep mysql | tee /path/to/output.txt It displayed the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: satimis
7 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question