tar 2GB limit

Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory tar 2GB limit
# 1  
Old 11-30-2006
Network tar 2GB limit

Any idea how to get around this limit? I have a 42GB database backup file (.dmp) taking up disk space because neither tar nor cpio are able to put it onto a tape. I am on a SUN Solaris using SunOS 5.8. I would appreciate whatever help can be provided. Thanks!
# 2  
Old 11-30-2006
I just tarred a 15 gb file system........Can ypu tar it to disk (If you have free disk space) & I can explain how to.

Remi
# 3  
Old 11-30-2006
It might help if you posted both the commands you used, and what type of tape, and whether it was used or new.
# 4  
Old 11-30-2006
tar has a 2GB limit for an individual file, but the total size of the archive can be larger. This limit arises from the standard tar format. A nonstandard tar format can help and I see a -E option on my Solaris man page. I would give pax a try. pax is standard and, in theory, pax can handle a file of 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 bytes. (But I have never tried that. Smilie )
# 5  
Old 12-01-2006
I tarred to disk.....I'm sorryif I did'nt clarify. I was just hoping this might be an alternative for you.

Remi
# 6  
Old 12-01-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remi
I tarred to disk.....I'm sorryif I did'nt clarify. I was just hoping this might be an alternative for you.

Remi
The output device does not affect whether or not it is possible. In your 15 GB filesystem all of the individual files were smaller than 2 GB. Add a single 3 GB file to your filesystem and then try tar. It will fail. But if you are on Solaris and use the -E flag, it may succeed. The problem is not the total size of the stuff to be tarred. It all has to do with how big the biggest file is. tar has a header that it must write for each file. That header does not have space for a number larger than 2 GB in the size field. Redirecting the output from tape to disk will not help that header hold a larger number.
# 7  
Old 12-01-2006
Not sure if this applies to tar aswell, but I know that mkisofs has this limit in Solaris 8 aswell, But if you use the Solaris 9 mkisofs it doesn't have this limit.
So maybe try installing the Solaris 9 tar
Tornado
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

zip -r <directory> failing due to 2GB limit - Just asking opinion

Hi, Am trying to run zip -r on a 2.4G directory and it is failing with the error below. I believe this is because of the 2G limit of the zip program. server101(oper01)/u01/temp$: date Thu Mar 15 12:53:44 NZDT 2012 server101(oper01)/u01/temp$: ls -l total 8 drwxr-x--x 4 oracle dba ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Limit: stacksize: Can't remove limit

Hi all, I'm using to Solaris machine. When I run a simple script this messenger come out:"limit: stacksize: Can't remove limit". Any one know the way to resolve this problem without reboot the machine? Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diabolist9
3 Replies

3. HP-UX

2GB file size limit

Greetings, I'm attempting to dump a filesystem from a RHEL5 Linux server to a VXFS filesystem on an HP-UX server. The VXFS filesystem is large file enabled and I've confirmed that I can copy/scp a file >2GB to the filesystem. # fsadm -F vxfs /os_dumps largefiles # mkfs -F vxfs -m... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: bkimura
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies

5. AIX

Tar files larger than 2GB

Hi, Does anyone know if it is possible to tar files larger than 2GB? The reason being is they want me to dump a single file (which is around 20GB) to a tape drive and they will restore it on a Solaris box. I know the tar have a limitation of 2GB so I am thinking of a way how to overcome this.... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: depam
11 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to create a file more than 2GB

Hi, I am executing a SQL query and the output is more than 2GB. Hence the process is failing. How can I have a file created more than 2GB ? Thanks, Risshanth (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: risshanth
1 Replies

7. Linux

Compress files >2GB

Hi folks, I'm trying to compress a certain number of files from a cifs mount to a xfs mount, but cannot do it when the total size of the files is bigger than 2GB. Is there any limitation for above 2GB? OS is SLES 64bit The files are maximum 1MB, so there are aprox. 2000 files to compress... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xavix
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f` only tar 1 file

Hi all, 4 files are returned when i issue 'find . -mtime -1 -type f -ls'. ./ora_475244.aud ./ora_671958.aud ./ora_934052.aud ./ora_934050.aud However, when I issued the below command: tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f`, the tar file only contains the 1st file -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

cpio - files > 2gb

Hi, Currently a backup script copies compressed files to tape using cpio command (on AIX 5.2). Recently we've had a compressed file which has gone over 2 GB in size resulting in an error while copying this file onto the tape using cpio. Any suggestions on relevant workarounds would be much... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnicky
2 Replies

10. Solaris

SUN Solaris 9 - Is there a 2GB file size limit?

Hi I am using SUN/Solaris 9 and I was told that some unix versions have 2GB size limit. Does this applies to SUN/Solaris 9? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GMMike
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question