Rewriting line with tabs creating problem

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Rewriting line with tabs creating problem
# 1  
Old 02-19-2010
Rewriting line with tabs creating problem

Hi

I have an input file which have random file in between.I have to manipulate each line and replace the character from position 5-10 with XXXXXX.
But when I am writing this to on output file the tabs in between gets converted to normal space.

Input file :

Code:
14207531131040896334R108      2010047S660631120100462010046000

In the output file the tab is removed.
Code:
1420XXXXXX040896334R108 2010047S66063112010046201004600009600

I am using the following code :
Code:
echo "$part1""XXXXXXXXXX""$part2" >> $output.out

Plz help

Thanks
# 2  
Old 02-19-2010
Hi.

How do you get part1 and part2?

From a variable (show the declaration), or directly from the file?
# 3  
Old 02-19-2010
hi
part1 and part2 I am reteiving from the file:

Code:
part1=`echo $record | cut -c 1-92`
part2=`echo $record | cut -c -103-`

where $record is line of the file.

Thanks

Last edited by Scott; 02-19-2010 at 05:35 AM.. Reason: Added code tags
# 4  
Old 02-19-2010
You need to quote $record to preserve the whitespace:
Code:
part1=`echo "$record" | cut -c 1-92`
part2=`echo "$record" | cut -c -103-`

Then part1 and part2 (like you did)
Code:

echo "${part1}XXXXXXXXXX$part2" >> $output.out

# 5  
Old 02-19-2010
Is this ok

I tried the script which you tried I got the expected output .

Try this ,
- Just give the input file which having the content with tab.

Code:
#!/bin/bash
echo "Enter the file name"
read ips

index=0
output=outfile

while read line ; do
        part1=${line:0:4}
        part2=${line:10}
        echo "$part1""XXXXXXXXXX""$part2" >> $output.out
done < $ips

Last edited by radoulov; 02-19-2010 at 06:04 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags!

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

[BASH] read 'line' issue with leading tabs and virtual line breaks

Heyas I'm trying to read/display a file its content and put borders around it (tui-cat / tui-cat -t(ypwriter). The typewriter-part is a 'bonus' but still has its own flaws, but thats for later. So in some way, i'm trying to rewrite cat using bash and other commands. But sadly it fails on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grab line regardless of if it ends with tabs or spaces

so i have a data file that has various lines which may or may not end with spaces or tabs. data.file: , \t \t {sample} <spaces> <spaaces> several more spaces.... {"resemble"}, <nospaces> Command i'm using: sed -n 8p data.file | egrep "\],$|\],\ $" or egrep "\],$|\],\ $"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to remove a line feed depending on number of tabs in a line

Hi! I have been struggling with a large file that has stray end of line characters. I am working on a Mac (Lion). I mention this only because I have been mucking around with fixing my problem using sed, and I have learned far more than I wanted to know about Unix and Mac eol characters. I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: user999991
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Vimrc creating tabs instead of spaces

I'm having trouble getting my vimrc to work the way I want it. For some reason after I hit enter it is creating tabs instead of spaces like I would expect. Here is an example of what I am talking about. $ = newline, ^I = tab. On the line of struct EDGETAG* q; I hit enter and it created a tab... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with tabs expansion

I have to create some fixed width files using UNIX. The data source is an Oracle SQL query. If I use straight SQL and spool to a file everything comes out as expected. Example Desired result (. indicate blank space): V278814831..................................1743049591.10N... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dortoh
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with grep (reWriting it in another way.)

Hello everyone!! Nice do be apart of your forum. I am not very good at unix and thats why i need your help i have this project where i have to simulate a grep command without using grep thought. I have to simulate grep <parameters> <file> grep <parameters> <file> grep <parameters> <file>... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshin88
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with White spaces and tabs

Hi All, I am facing issues converting white spaces and tabs together in a file I am reading. Here is the command I am trying: tr -s ' '@ | sort -t@ +1n filename I guess the problem is that it is not converting the tabs to another delimiter. Also, I am supposed to accomplish this only using... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sh_kk
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

print pattern line +2 without tabs or brackets

This works, but its messy. Any suggestions for a elegant solution? :- me@myserver $ head zoneAttachOutfile These packages installed on the source system are inconsistent with this system: SUNWsmbac: version mismatch (11.9.0,REV=2002.03.02.00.35) ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: repudi8or
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sh: Inserting tabs and moving text to 1 line

I trying to extract certain text from a csv file and then placing it into another csv file, but having problems getting the data to placed in one line with tab separated fields. Basically would like to have text sent to interfaces.csv in one line seperated by tabs. As it currently places files... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: 00000008
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append tabs at the end of each line in NAWK -- varying fields

Hi, I need some help in knowing how I can append tabs at the end of each line... The data looks something like this: field1, field2, field3, field4 1 2 3 4 5 I have values in field1 and field 2 in the first row and I would like to append tab on field3 and field4 for the first row..and in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhunk
6 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question