Forum Trivial Pursuit - New Computer Science and Mathematics Trivia for UNIX.com

The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Forum Trivial Pursuit - New Computer Science and Mathematics Trivia for UNIX.com
# 1  
Old 10-18-2019
Forum Trivial Pursuit - New Computer Science and Mathematics Trivia for UNIX.com

I have added a new experimental "Computer Science and Mathematics Trivia - True or False" section in the discussions, currently under the tags box.

In the future, I plan to
  • Expand this feature to add more trivia categories from math, science and technology.
  • Keep track of correct and incorrect answers for each user.
  • Provide a "trivia scoreboard" for all trivia players.

At the moment, the scores are not being recorded in the database.

Update:

Now we have three trivia categories, with equal probabilities:
  • Computer Science
  • Mathematics
  • Science Gadgets

Update 2:

On the "show posts" page, now we have five trivia categories, with equal probabilities:
  • Computer Science
  • Mathematics
  • Science Gadgets
  • Geography
  • History

Maybe we should add History and Geography to the main pages? Or just leave the main pages Computer Science, Math and Science Gadgets?

Any ideas before I code deeper into this?
# 2  
Old 10-18-2019
Also, I wanted to add:

If anyone wants to contribute any UNIX or Linux trivial to the Open Trivia Database:

Code:
https://opentdb.com/

Please create an account at the "Open Trivia Database" and submit your questions, which will be verified and then added to the DB.

Thanks.

Just submitted two True/False questions to test how long it takes for questions to be "approved"....

Forum Trivial Pursuit - New Computer Science and Mathematics Trivia for UNIX.com-screen-shot-2019-10-18-60401-pmpng
This User Gave Thanks to Neo For This Post:
# 3  
Old 10-20-2019
... maybe not... sees that "Open Trivia Database" site is not validating new questions in a timely manner.

Quote:
3,489 VERIFIED QUESTIONS AND 3,208 PENDING QUESTIONS
Added 23 October:

Quote:
3,489 VERIFIED QUESTIONS AND 3,221 PENDING QUESTIONS
Still has not validated my two test questions:

Code:
Unverified Questions
ID   	       Category	               Type	        Difficulty	Question
8806	Science: Computers	True / False	Easy	        Awk is abbreviated from the names of the developers - Aho, Weinberger, and Kernighan.
8805	Science: Computers	True / False	Medium	Grep stands for "global regular expression process".

I may reverse-engineer and recreate the OTDB database structure and create our own database for this, so we can submit and build our own questions and answers without waiting for that site to validate and approve.
# 4  
Old 10-23-2019
FYI:

Open Trivia DB Database Structure (Please) - Open Trivia DB - PixelTail Games - Creators of Tower Unite!

Quote:
Hi,

I see that verifying questions for the Open Trivia DB is falling behind and there are over 3000 questions in the queue to be verified, including two (test questions) of mine.

Because of this long latency in getting our questions (related to computer science) verified (note, I am not complaining at all), I am going to create the same database on our server so we can write a lot of computer science questions and get them verified by our users at www.unix.com .

I want to use the same format as the Open Trivia DB (and eventually we should send our DB dump to Open DB and you can merge if you wish). Of course, I could reverse engineer the JSON to get the basic structure, but that takes time, more time that simply getting the Open Trivia DB structure.

So, could the admins of Open Trivia DB post the DB table structure (or email to me) so I can create the same database structure for my server?

Thanks so much for helping me out.

Neo
# 5  
Old 10-25-2019
Have updated our post at Open Trivial DB here:

Open Trivia DB Database Structure (Please) - Open Trivia DB - PixelTail Games - Creators of Tower Unite!

Quote:
Update:

Please note, we are also discussing this topic here:

... and will be documenting our database structure if we must reverse engineer the JSON to create our own version of the DB.

Again, we are not “complaining”¯ in the least and understand the good folks at PixelTail are very busy and there is currently over 3000 questions in the trivia DB queue waiting to be validated; we just want to insure that if we create our own “computer science”¯ related DB (so we can validate faster), that we can eventually dump this DB and merge it with the Open Trivial DB.

We want all our work in the future to be compatible with the Open Trivial DB.
Current stats at Open Trivia DB:

Code:
3,489 VERIFIED QUESTIONS AND 3,243 PENDING QUESTIONS

Basically, there has been no movement in the number of verified questions since we began this discussion thread and our two "test question" have not been verified.

In the "not so distant future" I will take the time to reverse engineer the DB and post the results here.

If anyone else has the time to do it (reverse engineer the Open Trivial DB from the API JSON), before I get around to it, please do!
# 6  
Old 10-25-2019
Example (generic, not category specific) API JSON, return:

Code:
{
    "response_code": 0,
    "results": [
        {
            "category": "Entertainment: Video Games",
            "type": "multiple",
            "difficulty": "easy",
            "question": "Which company did Gabe Newell work at before founding Valve Corporation?",
            "correct_answer": "Microsoft",
            "incorrect_answers": [
                "Apple",
                "Google",
                "Yahoo"
            ]
        },
        {
            "category": "Science: Computers",
            "question": "According to the International System of Units, how many bytes are in a kilobyte of RAM?",
            "correct_answer": "1000",
                "512",
                "1024",
                "500"
            ]
        },
        {
            "category": "Entertainment: Books",
            "difficulty": "medium",
            "question": "Who wrote the children's story "The Little Match Girl"?",
            "correct_answer": "Hans Christian Andersen",
                "Charles Dickens",
                "Lewis Carroll",
                "Oscar Wilde"
            ]
        },
        {
            "difficulty": "hard",
            "question": "In the Animal Crossing series, which flower is erroneously called the "Jacob's Ladder"?",
            "correct_answer": "Lily of the Valley",
                "Hydrangea",
                "Harebell",
                "Yarrow"
            ]
        },
        {
            "category": "Politics",
            "question": "Which letter do you need to have on a European driver license in order to ride any motorbikes?",
            "correct_answer": "A",
                "X",
                "D",
                "B"
            ]
        },
        {
            "type": "boolean",
            "question": "TF2: The Medic will be credited for an assist if he heals a Spy that successfully saps a building.",
            "correct_answer": "True",
                "False"
            ]
        },
        {
            "category": "Geography",
            "question": "What is the capital of Estonia?",
            "correct_answer": "Tallinn",
                "Helsinki",
                "Tartu",
                "Riga"
            ]
        },
        {
            "category": "Entertainment: Music",
            "question": "Which former boy-band star released hit solo single "Angels" in 1997?",
            "correct_answer": "Robbie Williams",
                "Justin Timberlake",
                "Harry Styles",
                "Gary Barlow"
            ]
        },
        {
            "category": "Sports",
            "question": "What year was hockey legend Wayne Gretzky born?",
            "correct_answer": "1961",
                "1965",
                "1959",
                "1963"
            ]
        },
        {
            "category": "Geography",
            "question": "What national museum will you find in Cooperstown, New York?",
            "correct_answer": "National Baseball Hall of Fame",
                "Metropolitan Museum of Art",
                "National Toy Hall of Fame",
                "Museum of Modern Art"
            ]
        }
    ]
}

Reference: https://opentdb.com/api.php?amount=10

If anyone has time to reverse engineer this and create a MySQL DB table for this, please do!!

Thanks!
# 7  
Old 10-27-2019
First Draft Done:

Code:
mysql> describe neo_open_trivia;
+-------------------+------------------+------+-----+---------+----------------+
| Field             | Type             | Null | Key | Default | Extra          |
+-------------------+------------------+------+-----+---------+----------------+
| id                | int(10) unsigned | NO   | PRI | NULL    | auto_increment |
| category          | varchar(254)     | NO   |     | NULL    |                |
| type              | varchar(16)      | NO   |     | NULL    |                |
| difficulty        | varchar(16)      | NO   |     | NULL    |                |
| question          | varchar(1024)    | NO   |     | NULL    |                |
| correct_answer    | varchar(1024)    | NO   |     | NULL    |                |
| incorrect_answers | varchar(5000)    | NO   |     | NULL    |                |
7 rows in set (0.01 sec)

Example Test Data:

Code:
mysql> select * from neo_open_trivia;
+----+--------------------+----------+------------+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+----------------+-------------------+
| id | category           | type     | difficulty | question                                                                                 | correct_answer | incorrect_answers |
+----+--------------------+----------+------------+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+----------------+-------------------+
|  1 | Science: Computers | boolean  | easy       | The name of this forum is 'The UNIX and Linux Forums'?                                   | True           | ["False"]         |
|  2 | Science: Computers | multiple | easy       | According to the International System of Units, how many bytes are in a kilobyte of RAM? | 1000           | [512,1024,500]    |
|  3 | Science: Computers | multiple | easy       | What does 'Hello World' Mean?                                                            | Hello          | ["Bye","Go","Mo"] |
|  4 | Science: Computers | boolean  | easy       | 'Hello World' Means Bite Me?                                                             | False          | ["True"]          |
|  5 | Science: Computers | boolean  | easy       | 'Hello World' Means Hello World?                                                         | True           | ["False"]         |
5 rows in set (0.00 sec)

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. What is on Your Mind?

Computer Trivia Feature Tops 50,000 Questions Answered

Just noticed that our successful computer trivia feature (stats here) has surpassed over 50,000 questions answered by users: https://www.unix.com/trivia_stats.php This was a coding effort worth while and I'm pleased to see so many people enjoying it in such a short time since it was released... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
3 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

Debugging Our Computer Science Trivia Feature

Only a few days after I coded this new feature from scratch, we are seeing over 3000 entries in the database from members (mostly guests) playing CS trivia. I have spend a lot of time coding this (from scratch) and testing the API. From the logs, it seems to have an API bug which appears... (31 Replies)
31 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

New Member and Country Computer Trivia Leaderboards

Thanks to Akshay, who helped me write the core MySQL queries, we now have two new draft leaderboards, by (1) member and by (2) country: https://www.unix.com/trivia_stats.php Currently milhan leads the members with a high score of 90%: ... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

1000+ Computer Science Trivia Questions at UNIX.COM

The UNIX and Linux Forums now has over 1000 TRUE / FALSE computer science and computer related trivia question in our database. These questions are of relatively high quality (compared to similar sites on the web) and are fun (according to feedback by users). In the first week during the... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

5. Web Development

Is Web Development is a part of computer science ?

I am now a student in university in 2nd year. I am studying computer science. But I am not sure what type of jobs computer science provide. I know some of them are software programming or network management. Recently, I hear some about Web Development. I wonder if it is a part of computer... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anna Hussie
3 Replies

6. Programming

Is Web Development is a part of computer science ?

I am now a student in university in 2nd year. I am studying computer science. But I am not sure what type of jobs computer science provide. I know some of them are software programming or network management. Recently, I hear some about Web Development. I wonder if it is a part of computer science.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anna Hussie
1 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

Computer Science and Information Technology

Hi, I haven't posted on the forums for a while now, I tried to find the most appropriate section for this post, but if this is in the wrong section please forgive me. First, let me say I'm a sophomore in HS. I know that job wise I definitely want to do something in computers. A while ago I was... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hpicracing
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Which is the best way/command to do mathematics in UNIX scripting?

Hello all! I used to use expr for doing simple mathematics, but has a main advantage and a main disadvantage: The advantage is that it can take variables for numbers (e.g.{1}: echo "Give me first" read lol echo "Give other" read lil sum=`expr $lol + $lil` echo "The sum of $lol and $lil =... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mathematics operations in unix

Hello guys! Can say me anybody about operatios with unix, I don't to make operations, only inside in a variable, like this #y=4 #x=2 #let z=$y-$x #echo $z # 2 but I can't to make mathematical operations with decimal like this #y=3.2 #x=1.5 #let z=$y-$x #echo $z # 3 this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cesar720213
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question