command to check consistancy of /etc/passwd

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers command to check consistancy of /etc/passwd
# 1  
Old 08-03-2009
command to check consistancy of /etc/passwd

Please let me know the command to check consistance of /etc/passwd Smilie
# 2  
Old 08-03-2009
On AIX there is a tool called lsuser to check out. No idea which Unix/Linux you on. Do you have a particular problem with an account?
# 3  
Old 08-03-2009
Thanks for the response, I use RHEL 4 version. I want know the command to check /etc/passwd file at command prompt with out opening file.
# 4  
Old 08-03-2009
On most unixes it is "pwck".
I haven't checked this for RHEL, so please check "man pwck" first.
# 5  
Old 08-04-2009
Nice, didn't know that one, exists even on AIX. Donated you 5k bits for it.
# 6  
Old 08-04-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by methyl
On most unixes it is "pwck".
I haven't checked this for RHEL, so please check "man pwck" first.

Great thanks to you methyl..
# 7  
Old 08-04-2009
Note pwck on GNU/Linux verifies the integrity of the entries in both /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow. You can configure it using /etc/login.defs.

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

When did AIX start using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords?

Does anyone know when AIX started using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anne Neville
1 Replies

2. Solaris

[Solved] passwd command not working

Hi all, I have got a problem, i have Solaris 8 server, where on running the passwd command, it says permission denied. I have checked /bin/passwd, /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow all have permissions as like one working server. It is happening for root user and all other users. i have tried... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: varunksharma87
6 Replies

3. Solaris

passwd command validation

hi Actually the normal user as the permission of executing the passwd command due to suid program... eg consider the two users (normal user) as tom & jerry! when tom executes command as " passwd tom" no issue here... In the same way when the same user tom uses the command as "passwd jerry" ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sriniv666
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passwd command what is the meaning

Hello to everybody i have question i do the passwd -s -a commando and what to knos what is the meaning of the second row. PS NL LK to the side is the date of expiraton and then a 7 a 90 what is the meaning of all that? tHANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: enkei17
1 Replies

5. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Passwd command problem

on Runnning passwd command on HPUX 11.23 I am getting pam_chauthtok: Shared object load failure. Pls help ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: ultimatix
13 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passwd command not working

on Runnning passwd command on HPUX 11.23 I am getting pam_chauthtok: Shared object load failure. Pls help ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ultimatix
1 Replies

7. Linux

how to get passwd command again if it is deleted by usin rm command

hai friends i have deleted passwd command using rm command i thought it will come again at the time of rebooting but it is completely deleted how to get it worked again (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkata.ganesh
5 Replies

8. Solaris

passwd command search

Hi. When i execute which passwdit is showing /usr/bin/passwd, eventhough i set my path as PATH=/etc:$PATH i just checked the permission for the passwd under /usr/bin -r-sr-sr-x what exactly happening? and what is that s signifies Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shahnazurs
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passwd in the line command

Friends, a help I need to do a script in the following way #!/bin/ksh passwd="us45#9ii" su - orapdr -c "sqlplus system/$passwd @verif_tbs.sql" When and executed in the line cmd is this way orapdr 2093232 1 0 Aug 21 - 52:02 sqlplus system/us45#9ii @verif_tbs.sql... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sandba
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passwd command not working

Hello All, I am working on Sco unix version 5.0.5. The passwd command has somehow got corrupted and is only displaying the contents of the /etc/passwd file instead of changing the password. I wanted to know if there is any other command through which you can change the password of a user from... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
5 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question