how to run debugging on c program

Top Forums Programming how to run debugging on c program
# 1  
Old 07-29-2002
how to run debugging on c program

Can someone help me debug a c program I am running? It gives me segmentation fault.

I want to turn on debugging. Can some one give the command to turn it on?

Below is the error I get:

Segmentation Fault (core dumped)
# 2  
Old 07-29-2002
You need to compile and link all its bits with the -g switch, and without the -fomit-frame-pointer switch. Actually, you don't need to recompile all of it, just the bits you're interested in debugging.

Most C Proggramers and users use gdb for debugging the codes, you may try it out. Also another tool you might find useful for debugging is `strace', which displays the system calls that a process makes. It has a multiplicity of other uses too, including figuring out what pathnames were compiled into binaries that you don't have the source for, exacerbating race conditions in programs that you suspect contain them, and generally learning how things work. The latest version of strace (currently 3.0.8) can be found at ftp://ftp.std.com/pub/jrs/.
# 3  
Old 08-05-2002
1 . At first , you should re-compile your prograem with -g option .
2 . run it , if it has produced a core file , you can use dbx(debugger) to find where does the programe coredump.

type the command "dbx programe-name core" and when you see "dbx>" prompt ,you type "where" command .In most case, you can see the stack
# 4  
Old 08-12-2002
You can do the same thing with gdb.
Compile with -g option, run
gdb a.out -core ./core
and the command is "bt" (back trace). This gives you the stack in gdb.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't get my program to run -- GC calculator?

have been trying for a few weeks not to get this program running. I am newer to programming and it has definitely been a challenge. I think my problem arises with my if statement. I can get it to append the name to the new file, but it simply appends the whole sequence to the file rather than... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: haley6719
3 Replies

2. Programming

Debugging a program written in two languages

Subject: Debugging a program written in two languages Platform: Linux (Kubuntu) I am trying to debug a C application with bindings to some simple functions written in Ada using the GNAT Programming Studio IDE (GPS). The main entry point is in C. The debugger is gdb. I managed to compile... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: NiGHTS
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run a program as another user

I have a bash script that launches another problem. I need to run that program under a certain user account. The script itself is run using 'sudo <scriptname>'. #!/bin/bash myprogram=... exec "$myprogram" How would this be done? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Carson Dyle
1 Replies

4. Programming

Run time Debugging

We have recently downloaded, installed and compiled gcc-3.0.4 code. gcc compiler has built successfully and we where able to compile some same test cpp file. I would like to know how we can modify gcc source code so that we add additional run time debugging statements like the binary in execution... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: uunniixx
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hey, im editing the passwd file so that when the user ben logs in it runs my assign program. I changed the last column from to Then when i log in i get... There is no problem with the program because it runs fine when i open it normally. Any help much appreciated. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: RAFC_99
8 Replies

6. Programming

Debugging Program during execution

I have made use of 'valgrind' and -finstrument-functions compiler option for debugging / analyzing code. Both the options lets us know the line / file being executed to some extent. Is there a generic way that lets program dump the file:line it is getting executed dumped to a log file during... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: uunniixx
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cannot run program

Hi, I have a program in /opt/local/bin, my path in my .profile is export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH however when i type the program name it cannot find it, however i know the program is in /opt/local/bin? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: c19h28O2
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can i run java program from any where

Hello all sorry didnt know where to post it i compiled simple program that using "System.getProperty("user.dir");" now i compiled the program under directory foo and and its running great when i do "java myapp" i included this directory in the $PATH env variable so i could see it fro any where... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Debugging a c/c++ program

Can anyone tell the commands we use for debugging a programm in dbx with explanation for each? Iam totally new to unix environment (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bogarams
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting a program to run

Please help, I have tried to run this program countless times and still nothing. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong. $ cat>test count=1 while do echo "5" read number echo $5 let count=count+ 1 done exit 0 ^C$ ksh test $ ^C $ ksh test $ $ nothing happend (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctiamaria
6 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question